Re: [genchatfriends] Re:Hi, I'm new

  • Judy Grundy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 1938
      Joy,
      My husband and I made a trip to Beaumont to see what we might find. Jefferson CO. did not start keeping vital statistics until 1903 but the clerk referred me to the Tyrell Historical Museum that has records of eary Beaumont. The newspaper records from 1884-1891 were burned in a fire. No obits, no nothing. I asked about City Directories. They did not have them. I looked thru the old court records that were available for probate etc. Nothing. Looked at what cementary records that were available , nothing there either. However I did learn there was regional library at Libery and maybe they might have something.
      To say the least I came home discouraged. It is a long trip to and from Beaumont.
      I need to regroup and look again at what I have. But I' m hoping will suggest an area that I haven't researched. I know I'm missing something but don't know what.
      All suggestions are appreciated even the ones about areas that I have looked. That way I know I have been looking correctly.
      Thanks for taking time to offer suggestions. Expanding my research to the Liberty Tx. regional library might be the answer.
      Judy

      Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 29, 1938
        Judy – What about putting some ads in the classifieds in Beaumont (or other) newspapers asking for folks to look in their old family Bibles or personal family trees? Or in Craig’s List?

        Also, have you posted memos on the Bulletin Boards at genealogy.com and ancestry.com? I’ve gotten key info from bulletin board inquiries. My husband made a huge breakthrough on his family tree via a bulletin board.

        Anny

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 29, 1938
          Ann,
          I subscribe to ancestry.com. I have posted to their bullentin board with no results. However ancestry.com matched me up with other public members. That is where I did find a George D in other's family trees. They all showed Berry W Perkins and Laney Truett as parents of three children.: Sarah, Mary, and George D. None of them had any info on George D. All they had was his birth year. By looking at the 1850 census I found the family in Leon CO. Texas. Leon County was formed in 1846 the same year George D was born. I know it is circumstantial evidence but it seems to tie. Some one on One World Tree tied my George to this family on the evidence of the 1880 census. The 1880 census is correct because I have records that confirm it.
          I have posted on Distant Cousins and also thru genweb. I have tried posting thru the collaterial lines and nothing.  The lady that works for the Oddfellows Grand Lodge pointed out to me that George was issued a "visiting card" which entitled him to draw his relief money anywhere there was an Oddfellows Lodge. I don't think he would just leave Beaumont and go "visiting". There had to be a purpose to him traveling. Texas was still pretty primitive then. I think he went to stay with a relative because he was either ill or hurt.
          Just by chance I found out Berry's father was buried at La Grange and his mother was buried in Bastrop. Rosa was from LaGrange and her family was still there. I plan to go to the Fayette County Historical Museum and see what I can uncover there.
          It is almost like no one wants him to be found including him!
          Love the suggestions. It makes me think where I can research. Isn't genealogy.com a subscription site.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 1938
            Another idea …contact First Baptist Dallas. I’m sure they have an archive dept which would include records for Dr. Truett and Dr. Criswall. Check with Beaumont & La Grange churches, too, or wherever you think is a possible link.

            Some years back, I was blessed to get great records on my grandfather, Swanson Yarbrough, from First Presby Tyler, TX. Turns out they’d written a small history booklet for their 125th anniversary. There were a couple of pages on my grandfather!!! Pictures and all!

            When researching my grandmother’s family, I ended up reaching the Cumberland Presbyterian headquarters and they had info on my great great grandfather.

            Ya gotta love people who keep records!

            Let us know what happens.

            Anny