Hi, I'm new

  • JudyG
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
      My name is Judy and I'm not a brand new newbie but still a beginner at research. Two years ago I joined the DAR and the line I used had been researched well. Luck of a beginner.
      Now I picked a really really hard to find any information on great grandfather. No one and I mean no one knows anything about him. With all the information available now I thought I could find where he is buried etc.
      My great grandfather was George Dallas Perkins. He was born around 1846. He married Rosa Eagle Lewis in 1877 in La Grange TX. I know that much because my great uncle researched the Lewis side of the family and documented it well. I know where and when their three boys were born. I have a copy of their marriage liscense. I have checked thru the census records from 1850-1900. From the census records I learned he was born in Texas and his parents were born in Tennessee. The 1850 census record shows a George D Perkins age 4 with parents of Berry W Perkins and Laney Truett. Parents born in Tennessee and it is show he and his middle sister born in Texas. The 1850 census shows them living in Leon County Tx. Researching Leon County I learned it was formed in 1846 the year George was born. Each census I researched was consistent.
      I know my grandfather (the youngest son) was born in Beaumont in 1882. He has the same name George D Perkins. The only record outside of the marriage liscense that I have, is a document show he belonged to the I.O.O.F in Beaumont in 1884. I contacted the the Grand Lodge in Corsicana TX and they have the original ledgers. I now have copies of the ledgers showing him as member, showing him getting relief funds in Jan- June 1884 and he was listed as deceased in December of 1884. His widow Rosa received relief funds for all of 1885. She moved the boys to Corsicana to the new Oddfellows Orphange and she moved into the Widows Home. Six weeks later she checked them out and sometime in 1886 married a David N Pope.
      Rosa never talked out her first husband. There are no records of first or even second marriage or deaths etc. My dad and I discussed this extensively. Nothing. No one knows where George Dallas Perkins (Sr.) is buried, how he died, who were relatives etc. My dad said his grandmother died when he was 16 so he would have know if something had ever been said.
      Berry W Perkins and Laney Truet seem likely to be his parents but I need a record to tie it.
      I would appreciate any and all suggestions where I need to be researching. I could not find anything through the LDS. I even went to Beaumont to search death records. Nothing.
      Help! Sorry I have been longwinded but I am so frustrated.
      thanks
      Judy
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
        La Grange, TX is such a pretty little town. Have you been there?

        I wonder if George D. Perkins is connected at all with the Perkins School of
        Theology at Southern Methodist Univ (SMU) in Dallas, TX??? Here's a blip on
        the history of the donors:

        Beginning in 1945, the university received a series of large gifts from Joe.
        J. Perkins and Lois Craddock Perkins of Wichita Falls, Texas, which made
        possible the campus relocation and expansion of the school of theology and
        provided major endowment for its support. The generosity of the Perkins
        family has continued for three generations from the families of Elizabeth
        Perkins Prothro and her late husband Charles, and Caren Harvey Prothro and
        her late husband C. Vincent Prothro, as well as from the family of Kay
        Yeager and her husband Frank. The establishment of Bridwell Library was made
        possible through a founding gift from Joseph S. Bridwell of Wichita Falls
        and his daughter, Margaret Bridwell Bowdle in the late 1940s. The library
        continues to benefit from the munificence of the Bridwell Foundation.

        You also have a "Truett". There was a very famous minister named Truett who
        was at First Baptist Church of Dallas, TX. There is a Truett Hospital in
        Dallas. Lots of Truett legacy in Dallas.

        Hope you find the way through your 'wall'. I sure wish families did a
        better job of passing on information. Sometimes it's simply a matter of
        life getting very hard, so all the energy goes into living. Since Rosa lost
        George and had to split the family into the Widow's and Orphan's Homes, I'm
        guessing life got very hard. Maybe her heart hurt too much to talk about
        her life???

        Anny

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
          Thanks for your kind response.
          Yes, La Grange is prettier but I think my town is even more so since the Colorado River curls around us. I live in Smithville. The town of Hope Floats and now the Tree of Life. We are only 13 miles from La Grange and also 13 miles from Bastrop.
          I was born and grew up in Dallas. There could be a link there with SMU  but don't really know since I can't find anything about George D.
          I've got an even better one than Truett with First Baptist. Dr. W.A. Criswell was my grandmother's first cousin. I am a Criswell on my dad's material side of the family. I traced the  Vannoy's marrying into the Criswell clan and that is how I joined the DAR. My dad told me many stories about that side of family and luckily I have the H.E. Criswell family bible.
          I think it had to be tragic what happened to my great grandmother and the boys. My grandfather was only 2 at the time, my great uncle Henry who was the oldest was about 7. and Robert Decker the middle son was about 4 or 5.  Only thru the census record did I find out there was middle son. He died at 20.
          I feel I need to find the cementary where George Dallas Perkins is buried. There just has be some kind of tragedy involved since Rosa never mentioned anything about him to the boys.
          I also found out he had been a deputy sheriff at La Grange and I know that my dad nor his brother knew that.
          Hopefully ya'll can help with some ideas of where to look. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.
          Judy

          Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
            Oh wow – what a rich history! And you have a family Bible! Very cool.

            I’ve not heard of Smithville, but if it’s prettier than La Grange, it must be gorgeous. I grew up in Victoria. One of my brothers lives in Lake Jackson – not far from Bastrop.

            It hurts my heart to hear what your great grandmother went through. Life can be very harsh and cruel. I’m glad you’re working so hard to pay homage to these dear ones.

            Anny

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 28, 2010
              Judy,

              Have you tried newspapers that covered the geographic region and the
              1884-5 time period? It seems to me that if, as you've said, his death
              was tragic and especially if he was a deputy sheriff at the time as you
              said in a later message, there would have been news coverage.

              Joy Weaver

            • Judy Grundy
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
                Joy,
                My husband and I made a trip to Beaumont to see what we might find. Jefferson CO. did not start keeping vital statistics until 1903 but the clerk referred me to the Tyrell Historical Museum that has records of eary Beaumont. The newspaper records from 1884-1891 were burned in a fire. No obits, no nothing. I asked about City Directories. They did not have them. I looked thru the old court records that were available for probate etc. Nothing. Looked at what cementary records that were available , nothing there either. However I did learn there was regional library at Libery and maybe they might have something.
                To say the least I came home discouraged. It is a long trip to and from Beaumont.
                I need to regroup and look again at what I have. But I' m hoping will suggest an area that I haven't researched. I know I'm missing something but don't know what.
                All suggestions are appreciated even the ones about areas that I have looked. That way I know I have been looking correctly.
                Thanks for taking time to offer suggestions. Expanding my research to the Liberty Tx. regional library might be the answer.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
                  Judy – What about putting some ads in the classifieds in Beaumont (or other) newspapers asking for folks to look in their old family Bibles or personal family trees? Or in Craig’s List?

                  Also, have you posted memos on the Bulletin Boards at genealogy.com and ancestry.com? I’ve gotten key info from bulletin board inquiries. My husband made a huge breakthrough on his family tree via a bulletin board.

                  Anny

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
                    Ann,
                    I subscribe to ancestry.com. I have posted to their bullentin board with no results. However ancestry.com matched me up with other public members. That is where I did find a George D in other's family trees. They all showed Berry W Perkins and Laney Truett as parents of three children.: Sarah, Mary, and George D. None of them had any info on George D. All they had was his birth year. By looking at the 1850 census I found the family in Leon CO. Texas. Leon County was formed in 1846 the same year George D was born. I know it is circumstantial evidence but it seems to tie. Some one on One World Tree tied my George to this family on the evidence of the 1880 census. The 1880 census is correct because I have records that confirm it.
                    I have posted on Distant Cousins and also thru genweb. I have tried posting thru the collaterial lines and nothing.  The lady that works for the Oddfellows Grand Lodge pointed out to me that George was issued a "visiting card" which entitled him to draw his relief money anywhere there was an Oddfellows Lodge. I don't think he would just leave Beaumont and go "visiting". There had to be a purpose to him traveling. Texas was still pretty primitive then. I think he went to stay with a relative because he was either ill or hurt.
                    Just by chance I found out Berry's father was buried at La Grange and his mother was buried in Bastrop. Rosa was from LaGrange and her family was still there. I plan to go to the Fayette County Historical Museum and see what I can uncover there.
                    It is almost like no one wants him to be found including him!
                    Love the suggestions. It makes me think where I can research. Isn't genealogy.com a subscription site.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
                      Another idea …contact First Baptist Dallas. I’m sure they have an archive dept which would include records for Dr. Truett and Dr. Criswall. Check with Beaumont & La Grange churches, too, or wherever you think is a possible link.

                      Some years back, I was blessed to get great records on my grandfather, Swanson Yarbrough, from First Presby Tyler, TX. Turns out they’d written a small history booklet for their 125th anniversary. There were a couple of pages on my grandfather!!! Pictures and all!

                      When researching my grandmother’s family, I ended up reaching the Cumberland Presbyterian headquarters and they had info on my great great grandfather.

                      Ya gotta love people who keep records!

                      Let us know what happens.

                      Anny