Addie Mae Brown

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hey everyone. My mother and I recently found a small pocket Bible in a box of picture my grandmother was keeping. There was an address (home we think), and a school address written in the cover. We also found a social security card in the Bible. The name on the card was "Addie Mae Brown" ssn issued 12/24/1936. My mother checked and the card is still active, the person is still alive, but we don't know who she is or how to contact her. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help with this matter. I cannot ask my grandmother. She doesn't want anything to do with our family history or the people from the past. That is why she gave us the box of pictures.

      Michelle
    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
        Michelle -

        I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that National Military Records (or whatever they're called) and the Veterans Administration and the Social Security Administration can send (or forward) "blind mail" through the system - that is, they can forward or re-mail something to a living person without letting you know what the target address is. (Kind of like the "blind email" system that Ancestry.com has for its members.) I heard this from a Navy CPO acquaintance of mine who supposedly used the Military Records Organization to contact some old buddies of his (the Records office wouldn't release the address to him, but they *would* forward mail for him.)

        So - contact the Soc.Sec.Admin. and see if they can do that for you.

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <hot_mamma34@...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone. My mother and I recently found a small pocket Bible in a box of picture my grandmother was keeping. There was an address (home we think), and a school address written in the cover. We also found a social security card in the Bible. The name on the card was "Addie Mae Brown" ssn issued 12/24/1936. My mother checked and the card is still active, the person is still alive, but we don't know who she is or how to contact her. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help with this matter. I cannot ask my grandmother. She doesn't want anything to do with our family history or the people from the past. That is why she gave us the box of pictures.
        >
        > Michelle

      • ddisaac
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
          Hi Michelle:
          Tom is right.  Write to the Social Security Admin. and they will forward mail for you to the last known address.
          I was having problems with someone using my SSN (came up on my credit check).  I went to the SS Office and asked about getting a new number.  SS really doesn't like do that, and the rep asked if I had any idea who would use it. I told her I did have suspicions, that I did not know their current address, and thats when she told me about SSA forwarding mail for you.
          I don't know if SS still does that with all the cut backs, but you can call them and find out.
          Good Luck!!
          Patty Isaac

          I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that National Military Records (or whatever they're called) and the Veterans Administration and the Social Security Administration can send (or forward) "blind mail" through the system - that is, they can forward or re-mail something to a living person without letting you know what the target address is. (Kind of like the "blind email" system that Ancestry.com has for its members.) I heard this from a Navy CPO acquaintance of mine who supposedly used the Military Records Organization to contact some old buddies of his (the Records office wouldn't release the address to him, but they *would* forward mail for him.)

          So - contact the Soc.Sec.Admin. and see if they can do that for you.

          - Tom Knox

          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <hot_mamma34@...> wrote:

          > Hey everyone. My mother and I recently found a small pocket Bible in a box of picture my grandmother was keeping. There was an address (home we think), and a school address written in the cover. We also found a social security card in the Bible. The name on the card was "Addie Mae Brown" ssn issued 12/24/1936. My mother checked and the card is still active, the person is still alive, but we don't know who she is or how to contact her. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help with this matter. I cannot ask my grandmother. She doesn't want anything to do with our family history or the people from the past. That is why she gave us the box of pictures.
          >
          > Michelle

        • Amanda Brown
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
            Hi Michelle,

            My husband is a Brown from Up around the Bonifay caryville area and  up into Geneva .
            We are going through the book to see what we can find. No one with the same name.
            Is there any pic's of this person? His family has an Oddie Mae Brown born close to the time card was issued. I am always doing research so please let me know what you find.
            Where was the school and home addresses? Where was your family from? What is the names? Hope to chat soon

            Amanda Eldridge Brown

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
              Maybe if you looked for a different first name.  Addie could be short for Adeline.
              Please let us know the address listed in the bible and the approx. age.
              That would help a lot.
              Patty

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
                Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. The home address was 2446 N. Western Ave, Chicago, Ill. The school was Metropolitan Business College, 37 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago, Ill. Thank you again to everyone for their help.

                --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <hot_mamma34@...> wrote:

                > Hey everyone. My mother and I recently found a small pocket Bible in a box of picture my grandmother was keeping. There was an address (home we think), and a school address written in the cover. We also found a social security card in the Bible. The name on the card was "Addie Mae Brown" ssn issued 12/24/1936. My mother checked and the card is still active, the person is still alive, but we don't know who she is or how to contact her. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help with this matter. I cannot ask my grandmother. She doesn't want anything to do with our family history or the people from the past. That is why she gave us the box of pictures.
                >
                > Michelle

              • Amanda Brown
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2010
                  Did you ever locate Addie Mae Brown