Re: [genchatfriends] Family Tree Maker

  • Joseph
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 18, 2010
      Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given
      name, then I can enter children.

      On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
      > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without a
      > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)? Dad
      > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is by
      > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
      > children.
      >

      > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
      > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
      > wife who came afterwards.
      >

      > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
      > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
      > married.
      >

      > Thanks for your help.
      >

      > Anny

    • brian
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 18, 2010
        Pretty easy: if you look at the boxes above where the kids would be listed you would see a icon with a number after it. Click the number and select new spouse. Once name is entered that number will change (2 in this case ). You can use that same button to switch easily between spouses.

        Brian

        Sent from my MOTOBLUR™ smartphone on AT&T

        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 18, 2010
          What if you do know who the parent is?

          Anny

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 18, 2010
            Thanks, Brian. My question is how to enter the name if they were unmarried, i.e. technically not a spouse?

            Anny

            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
              If the parents were unmarried, I think this is what you mean, in Legacy, there's
              a place on the marriage page where one can mark the couple as "Never Married" in
              stead of the norm.

              On 7/18/2010 11:50 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
              > What if you do know who the parent is?
              >

              > Anny

            • Ellen Dauzat
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                I want to know who is parents are. they are in my lineage.

                ________________________________
                Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given

                name, then I can enter children.

                On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without
                > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)?
                Dad
                > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is
                by
                > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
                > children.
                >

                > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
                > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
                > wife who came afterwards.
                >

                > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
                > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
                > married.
                >

                > Thanks for your help.
                >

                > Anny

              • Ellen Dauzat
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                  You must have been replying to someone else and not my querry.

                  ________________________________
                  Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given

                  name, then I can enter children.

                  On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                  > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without
                  > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)?
                  Dad
                  > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is
                  by
                  > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
                  > children.
                  >

                  > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
                  > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
                  > wife who came afterwards.
                  >

                  > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
                  > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
                  > married.
                  >

                  > Thanks for your help.
                  >

                  > Anny

                • brian
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                    On that persons "person " tab click relationships ,select "spouse " and on right select relationship from drop menu

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                      In FTM you can adjust the relationship of any person in your tree.  My
                      great-grandfather married a woman who had a child already, same with my maternal
                      grandfather.  I was able to list both of these children as children of their
                      mother, I believe it was.  Been awhile since I looked at my files.  I know you
                      can list adopted children.

                      ~april

                      "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                      ________________________________
                      Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given

                      name, then I can enter children.

                      On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                      > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without
                      > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)?
                      Dad
                      > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is
                      by
                      > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
                      > children.
                      >

                      > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
                      > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
                      > wife who came afterwards.
                      >

                      > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
                      > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
                      > married.
                      >

                      > Thanks for your help.
                      >

                      > Anny

                    • Janie
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                        I have the same problem and I have FTM2010. Any help?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                          Anny, I just downloaded the latest version of the Family Tree Maker
                          (v4.0.0.916). In the marriage section, there is a "Status" menu in the bottom
                          right hand corner. This menu give many options for the relationship. They are:
                          Married,
                          Divorced,
                          Separated,
                          Widowed,
                          Engaged,
                          Partners,
                          Friends,
                          Annulled,
                          Unknown, and
                          Other

                          This pretty well give any possibility of relationship.

                          Hope this helps.

                          Joseph

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                            I'm looking for an 1820 or 1830 census. I'm looking for two brothers, and their
                            father.

                            Brother #1 is Jacob Burkett who was born in 1819. He married a Susan
                            Hershberger (Harshberger, Hershbarger, Harshbarger)

                            Brother #2 is Martin Burkett who was born probably between 1815 and 1825. He
                            was married to Sarah Jane Davis and Ellen Cosey (at different times, of course).

                            I'm needing these brothers' parents and other siblings if possible. There could
                            be a spelling difference to the name Burkett. I've found references to Burket
                            also, and there could be other possibilities.

                            Thanks in advance for the assistance.

                            Joseph
                          • LARRY JOHNSON
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                              I found three in Maryland and one in Ohio

                               Larry Johnson

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=Martin+Burkett&rg_81004010__date=1815&_80018000=Sarah+Jane+Davis&cpxt=0&uidh=ve4&rs_81004010__date=10&cp=0&pcat=CEN_CENTURY1800&h=50180396&recoff=1+91+92&db=1880usfedcen&indiv=1

                                 Larry Johnson

                                --- On Mon, 7/19/10, Joseph <ragweed@...> wrote:This is for Martin Burket

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                  Ellen – the dad’s a Yarbrough from TX. His girlfriend’s married name was Alman – Liverpool area of UK. I need to find out what her maiden name was.

                                  Are those surnames in your tree?

                                  Anny

                                  I want to know who is parents are. they are in my lineage.

                                  ________________________________
                                  Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given

                                  name, then I can enter children.

                                  On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                                  > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without
                                  > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)?
                                  Dad
                                  > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is
                                  by
                                  > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
                                  > children.
                                  >

                                  > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
                                  > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
                                  > wife who came afterwards.
                                  >

                                  > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
                                  > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
                                  > married.
                                  >

                                  > Thanks for your help.
                                  >

                                  > Anny

                                • Regina
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                    Joseph

                                    The 1820 and 1830 census records do not show an entire family by names as in the 1850 and later census records, only the heads of household are named. Jacob and Martin would only show as males between certain ages in their fathers household if born in 1819 and 1825. Women in a male head of household are listed in age groups as well.

                                    Regina

                                  • Joseph
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                      Larry, this is Martin, his wife, and his children. I have these. Martin and
                                      Sarah Jane were my great-great-grandparents. However, I'm needing to find
                                      Martin's father. This is why I was needing to find a census from 1820 or
                                      1830.... This way Martin and Jacob would be the children in the family, not the
                                      parents.

                                      On 7/19/2010 1:33 PM, LARRY JOHNSON wrote:
                                      > http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=Martin+Burkett&rg_81004010__date=1815&_80018000=Sarah+Jane+Davis&cpxt=0&uidh=ve4&rs_81004010__date=10&cp=0&pcat=CEN_CENTURY1800&h=50180396&recoff=1+91+92&db=1880usfedcen&indiv=1
                                      >
                                      > Larry Johnson
                                      >
                                      > --- On Mon, 7/19/10, Joseph<ragweed@...> wrote:This is for Martin Burket
                                      >

                                      > From: Joseph<ragweed@...>
                                      > Subject: [genchatfriends] Finding a Census
                                      > To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
                                      > Date: Monday, July 19, 2010, 12:25 PM
                                      >

                                      > I'm looking for an 1820 or 1830 census. I'm looking for two brothers, and their
                                      > father.
                                      >
                                      > Brother #1 is Jacob Burkett who was born in 1819. He married a Susan
                                      > Hershberger (Harshberger, Hershbarger, Harshbarger)
                                      >
                                      > Brother #2 is Martin Burkett who was born probably between 1815 and 1825. He
                                      > was married to Sarah Jane Davis and Ellen Cosey (at different times, of course).
                                      >
                                      > I'm needing these brothers' parents and other siblings if possible. There could
                                      > be a spelling difference to the name Burkett. I've found references to Burket
                                      > also, and there could be other possibilities.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks in advance for the assistance.
                                      >
                                      > Joseph
                                    • LARRY JOHNSON
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                        http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=1830usfedcenancestry&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=Martin&gsln=Burket&msrpn=41&msrpn_PInfo=5-%7c1652393%7c2%7c3244%7c41%7c&msrpn__ftp=Pennsylvania%2c+USA&dbOnly=_F000530B%7c_F000530B_x%2c_F000531E%7c_F000531E_x%2c_F000531F%7c_F000531F_x%2c_F0005320%7c_F0005320_x&uidh=ve4&pcat=35&fh=1&h=2086156&recoff=14

                                        I found this and will keep searching.

                                         Larry Johnson

                                        Larry, this is Martin, his wife, and his children.  I have these.  Martin and
                                        Sarah Jane were my great-great-grandparents.  However, I'm needing to find
                                        Martin's father.  This is why I was needing to find a census from 1820 or
                                        1830....  This way Martin and Jacob would be the children in the family, not the
                                        parents.

                                        On 7/19/2010 1:33 PM, LARRY JOHNSON wrote:
                                        > http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=Martin+Burkett&rg_81004010__date=1815&_80018000=Sarah+Jane+Davis&cpxt=0&uidh=ve4&rs_81004010__date=10&cp=0&pcat=CEN_CENTURY1800&h=50180396&recoff=1+91+92&db=1880usfedcen&indiv=1
                                        >
                                        >   Larry Johnson
                                        >
                                        > --- On Mon, 7/19/10, Joseph<ragweed@...>  wrote:This is for Martin Burket
                                        >

                                        > From: Joseph<ragweed@...>
                                        > Subject: [genchatfriends] Finding a Census
                                        > To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
                                        > Date: Monday, July 19, 2010, 12:25 PM
                                        >

                                        > I'm looking for an 1820 or 1830 census.  I'm looking for two brothers, and their
                                        > father.
                                        >
                                        > Brother #1 is Jacob Burkett who was born in 1819.  He married a Susan
                                        > Hershberger (Harshberger, Hershbarger, Harshbarger)
                                        >
                                        > Brother #2 is Martin Burkett who was born probably between 1815 and 1825.  He
                                        > was married to Sarah Jane Davis and Ellen Cosey (at different times, of course).
                                        >
                                        > I'm needing these brothers' parents and other siblings if possible.  There could
                                        > be a spelling difference to the name Burkett.  I've found references to Burket
                                        > also, and there could be other possibilities.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks in advance for the assistance.
                                        >
                                        > Joseph

                                      • Joseph
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                          How can one break through a wall like this? I suspect that their parents came
                                          from Germany (Bavaria maybe).

                                          On 7/19/2010 3:35 PM, Regina wrote:
                                          > Joseph
                                          >
                                          > The 1820 and 1830 census records do not show an entire family by names as in the 1850 and later census records, only the heads of household are named. Jacob and Martin would only show as males between certain ages in their fathers household if born in 1819 and 1825. Women in a male head of household are listed in age groups as well.
                                          >
                                          > Regina
                                        • Regina
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                            Joseph,
                                            My first question would be what makes you suspect that the parents were from Germany, Bavaria, etc.
                                            The second question would be do you have the parents in all the census records from death to the earliest you could locate, which I would assume since you are looking for 1820-1830 that these would have been the earliest?
                                            Before looking into other countries you should exhaust your search in the states for records such as birth registers, death certificates or registers, church records, etc. All these could provide clues to help you pin point the parent's birth locations. From there using clues found in these records you would then have to shift your search out of the states and into the other countries which would require some work. I know from doing some very limited research the LDS libraries will order microfilm however you need to have an idea of the location as everything is in parish's.

                                            Regina

                                          • cathyuthus@comcast.net
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                              the 1820 would only list the head of household at that time frame, not the children as they would be broken out by  gender and the ages of under 5, 5 -10 etc

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
                                                I could have rephrased that... I wasn't trying to say that their parents DID
                                                come from Germany or Bavaria. My key word is "suspect"... being a
                                                possibility... and I say that because hearing the way our older family members,
                                                now dead, had spoken of their heritage, a Germanic heritage could be suspect.
                                                We must consider the geographical history and demographics sometimes. I mean,
                                                didn't immigrants tend to huddle together in communities?

                                                The Church heritage of that side of the family was Dunker, which is very closely
                                                related to the Amish, all being Anabaptist, except the Dunkers were allowed to
                                                have cars and trucks, but all shiny chrome was to be painted black. The Amish
                                                and early Dunkers originated from the same kind of background...

                                                This along with the thought that those in my family history, who came out of the
                                                1700's, and from the same general geographical areas, within abt 40 miles of
                                                Hagerstown, MD., were Germanic. Hagerstown was a German speaking town in the
                                                1700's and early 1800's. I know of pockets of people right now where there are
                                                still such a large percentage of German and Polish people, that many of them
                                                still speak German and Polish in their homes and communities. They hadn't been
                                                infiltrated very much yet from other backgrounds.

                                                In the mid 1800's these pockets of somewhat pure groups began being infiltrated
                                                and blended with peoples of the surrounding areas. Thus the purity was
                                                intermingled.

                                                Considering this, I'd felt that since I was blocked from the parents of Martin
                                                and Jacob, that _maybe_ they were not born here in the U.S. soil. But again, I
                                                wasn't saying that's an absolute... but just a possibility because of the 200
                                                year old demographics.

                                                You asked, "The second question would be do you have the parents in all the
                                                census records from death to the earliest you could locate, which I would assume
                                                since you are looking for 1820-1830 that these would have been the earliest?"

                                                Jacob and Martin were the earliest I have both according to census and family
                                                history. I suspect that their parents were born in the last 15-20 years of the
                                                1700's...

                                                I'd found Jacob in Hagerstown, MD. in 1870, and Martin in 1870 and 1880 in
                                                Antrim Township, Greencastle, PA (not far from Hagerstown, MD). I've found his
                                                name as Burket, Burkett, and Burget in various places.

                                                My 1920 and 1930 census request was because Jacob and Martin would have still
                                                been at home, being 16 and under... that would put them in their parent's
                                                home, and listed with their census.

                                                Anyway... I trust that this answers your questions sufficiently.

                                                On 7/19/2010 6:06 PM, Regina wrote:
                                                > Joseph,
                                                > My first question would be what makes you suspect that the parents were from Germany, Bavaria, etc.
                                                > The second question would be do you have the parents in all the census records from death to the earliest you could locate, which I would assume since you are looking for 1820-1830 that these would have been the earliest?
                                                > Before looking into other countries you should exhaust your search in the states for records such as birth registers, death certificates or registers, church records, etc. All these could provide clues to help you pin point the parent's birth locations. From there using clues found in these records you would then have to shift your search out of the states and into the other countries which would require some work. I know from doing some very limited research the LDS libraries will order microfilm however you need to have an idea of the location as everything is in parish's.
                                                >
                                                > Regina
                                                >
                                                > On 7/19/2010 Joseph wrote:
                                                >
                                                > How can one break through a wall like this? I suspect that their parents came
                                                > from Germany (Bavaria maybe).
                                                >
                                                > On 7/19/2010 3:35 PM, Regina wrote:
                                                >> Joseph
                                                >>
                                                >> The 1820 and 1830 census records do not show an entire family by names as in the 1850 and later census records, only the heads of household are named. Jacob and Martin would only show as males between certain ages in their fathers household if born in 1819 and 1825. Women in a male head of household are listed in age groups as well.
                                                >>
                                                >> Regina
                                              • Janie
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
                                                  When this happens what is the next best way to go to locate someone?

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 23, 2010
                                                    Joseph,
                                                    I was able to follow the census for Jacob, and noted that in all he lists his birth place as Maryland. My first step would be to locate documents to verify his birth location, his marriage record, look for church records, wills, land records, etc.
                                                    The other thing I noted was that the location was actually District 13, with a Post Office listed as Hagerstown, which means that he may not have actually lived in Hagerstown, but maybe a community that shared the Hagerstown Post Office, so I would see if I could locate communities nearby that may have shared it.
                                                    You will have to exhaust your search for documents on Jacob and Martin in hopes of finding clues on the parents. Check the LDS family search library catalog for microfilm you can order to review records if you are not able to visit. You will not be able to do this all from the computer.
                                                    One site I found with listing of Maryland Records is
                                                    http://www.marylandgenealogy.com/genealogy-sources.html
                                                    it may give you somewhere to start.

                                                    Regina