York County Pennsylvania prior to 1770

  • arney9thgeneration
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2010
      Why is there such poor information, online, about York County, Pennsylvania, prior to 1770?

      The brick wall, I have, is more like, set in concrete.

      I know who my ancestor was NOT, but not who my ancestor was?

      There seems to be lots of information, about Pennsylvania, especially the Pennsylvania State Archives Series, which can be found online.
      That series has lots of information, or should I say, misleading information, on the ancestor in question.

      Most people researching my particular branch, accept this misinformation as truth. After all, if you can find lots of information that can lead you to a conclusion, but little information to lead you to another conclusion, which leads to no where, why not take the "high road" or the "easy road" and accept the misinformation, and be done.

      If researchers in the 1950's could find information, "old school", and this is the era of information, where is the information?

      My headache is, all the people who did the initial research, are inaccessible (retired, in a retirement home setting, or passed away). The few new hobbyist or researchers, simply accept the misinformation as truth, and don't care to know otherwise. These type of researchers I term as "shoulder standers", they stand on the shoulders of other people's research and accept it as fact, even if they are shown that it isn't.

      I do not have the "financial freedoms" to go to York County, PA myself, nor hire someone to do the legwork for me, I live in KS.

      Have any of you found a good source, online, for information on York County, Pennsylvania, in the 1730-1770 range?
      My ancestor is known to have been there, at least, between 1750-1767, he moved with his family to North Carolina around 1767.

      Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2010
        I don't have any resources for you. The brick walls are hard to penetrate.
        The false information abounds. <sigh>

        What surname are you dealing with? I have a little (very little) info from
        one limb of my tree which does include PA info in that era. If perhaps (a
        wild leap, I know), your line is in my book, I'll happily share the
        information.

        Anny

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2010
          Ms Stokes,

          Thank you for taking time out of your evening to reply, I truly appreciate it.

          I'm searching for a Jacob Arney, in York County, PA.
          He had a son, Christian Arney, born in York(town), York County, PA in 1750.

          Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation.

          Sincerely,

          Stan

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2010
            You may want to check and see when the county was formed, and from what county. Sometimes you can find what you are looking for in an adjoining county.

            I hope this helps

            Anita Wills

            Mary and Patty Bowden Foundation

            Anita Talks Genealogy - Blog Talk Radio

            "If you believe people have no history worth mentioning, it's easy to believe they have no humanity worth defending."
            — William Loren Katz
            June 18, 2009

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
              My mother was a Witmer, and family stories say we go back there to a town called
              Witmer, PA., and Witmer Tavern, which precedes 1770. Interestingly, there was
              said to be a spelling change between 1700 and 1800. One of the Witmers was
              supposed to have changed the spelling because his son couldn't spell it. It's
              been conjectured as being Whitmer, Whitmeyer, Witmeyer, Witmyer, Whitmore...
              There was a g-aunt and a g-uncle, who changed there names (back) to Whitmore.
              But we're not sure that it was 'back' and not just different.

              Anyway, THERE's a brick wall for you. I have my Witmers back to George
              Washington Witmer who married Ann Matilda (Matilde) Gilpin. GW Witmer (born
              1813) was the father of Martin VanBuren Witmer (born 1837)... but these were
              born in Maryland... but still, these roots could (as family stories say) go
              back into Witmer, PA., Lancaster County and on to Witmer Tavern.

              Anyway, if you find anything in your searches of Witmers in Lancaster County,
              let me know.

              Joseph

            • cathyuthus@comcast.net

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
                  No Witmer's : (( Sorry, Joseph.

                  Good to 'see' you!

                  Anny

                  My mother was a Witmer, and family stories say we go back there to a town
                  called
                  Witmer, PA., and Witmer Tavern, which precedes 1770. Interestingly, there
                  was
                  said to be a spelling change between 1700 and 1800. One of the Witmers was
                  supposed to have changed the spelling because his son couldn't spell it.
                  It's
                  been conjectured as being Whitmer, Whitmeyer, Witmeyer, Witmyer, Whitmore...

                  There was a g-aunt and a g-uncle, who changed there names (back) to
                  Whitmore.
                  But we're not sure that it was 'back' and not just different.

                  Anyway, THERE's a brick wall for you. I have my Witmers back to George
                  Washington Witmer who married Ann Matilda (Matilde) Gilpin. GW Witmer (born
                  1813) was the father of Martin VanBuren Witmer (born 1837)... but these were

                  born in Maryland... but still, these roots could (as family stories say) go
                  back into Witmer, PA., Lancaster County and on to Witmer Tavern.

                  Anyway, if you find anything in your searches of Witmers in Lancaster
                  County,
                  let me know.

                  Joseph

                  On 6/29/2010 11:12 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                  > I don't have any resources for you. The brick walls are hard to penetrate.
                  > The false information abounds.<sigh>
                  >

                  > What surname are you dealing with? I have a little (very little) info from
                  > one limb of my tree which does include PA info in that era. If perhaps (a
                  > wild leap, I know), your line is in my book, I'll happily share the
                  > information.
                  >

                  > Anny
                  >

                  > From: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:genealogychatfriends%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
                    Stan,

                    I looked in my book. Didn't find anything in York County or for an Arney.

                    I'm sorry. I knew it was a long shot.

                    Good luck.

                    Anny

                    From: Ann Y Stokes <annystokes@... <mailto:annystokes%40verizon.net>

                    To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:genealogychatfriends%40yahoogroups.com>