Nancy Jane Meeks

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2010
      Hi everyone. I have hit a major roadblock. I cannot find any information about Nancy Jane Meeks before 1878 when she married John Bunyan McCoy. Nancy was born 22 August 1859. I am very interested in finding her parents. She was born in Anson County, NC and I believe that is where she was married as well. I have searched several but not all of the towns listed in Anson County in the 1870 Federal Census with no luck. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks
      Michelle
    • Joy Weaver
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2010
        Michelle,

        Is this your Nancy? It looks like you may have both her parents and
        grandparents in the household, if so.

        Joy Weaver

        1860 United States Federal Census
        <http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=7667&enc=1>
        about Nancey Meek

        Name: Nancey Meek
        Age in 1860: 1
        Birth Year: abt 1859
        Birthplace: North Carolina
        Home in 1860: Wadesboro, Anson, North Carolina
        Gender: Female
        Post Office: Wadesboro
        Value of real estate: View image
        <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=7667&iid=4237114_00169&fn=Nancey&ln=Meek&st=r&ssrc=&pid=41030339>

        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Asa Meek
        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1860usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=41030322>
        57
        Rebecca Meek
        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1860usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=41030323>
        57
        Martha Meek
        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1860usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=41030324>
        30
        Nancey Meek
        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1860usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=41030335>
        21
        John Meek
        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1860usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=41030336>
        15
        Thomas Meek
        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1860usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=41030337>
        4
        Sarah Meek
        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1860usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=41030338>
        1
        Nancey Meek
        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1860usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=41030339>
        1

      • Joy Weaver
        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2010
          Michelle,

          I hit Send too soon when I sent the previous message.
          It looks like either Martha or Nancey is the mother of Thomas, Nancey
          and Sarah. No husband is in the h/h.
          This is just a guess, but either the mother is unmarried or her husband
          is deceased or away. If deceased, I'm speculating that his name was
          Thomas Meek, based on the child's name and that Nancey's mother is Asa
          and Rebecca's daughter-in-law.
          If Nancy Jane's father is deceased, it may be that the mother remarried
          and that Nancy Jane will be found under a step-father's name in the 1870
          census.

          Joy Weaver

        • Verna Lynn
          Message 4 of 4 , May 29, 2010
            Michelle,
            the name Nancy was commonly used as a nickname for the name Ann and also Agnes.

            have you tried looking for Ann Meeks or Agnes Meeks on the Census forms? you might find one of those who is the same age as your nancy and then you could explore to see if that person and your person might be the same person.

            not too many people realize that Nancy is often a nickname for Agnes even if they were aware of it being a nickname for Ann. I have several Agnes ancestors in different branches of my family who each was called Nancy. one of them named her daughter Ann and ann was also nicknamed Nancy. Agnes is a fairly common scotch/irish name and meeks is a Scotch name.