Finding Divorce Records

  • Keri B
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2010
      Well I have an issue that Im stuck on..
      I know that my Great Grandmother Ida May Parmelee (Parmalee) divorced her first husband Francis Marion Parmelee (Parmalee) But I do not know where and when. I think possibly it was in Denver, Colorado.

      How would I find this out? My Grandmother never talked about her birthfather. And I dont know what happened to him after that. Np clue when he died or where.

      His name was Francis Marion Parmelee
      Born in 1885. Not sure of where he was born either. So frustrating.
    • stacy mims
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2010
        Keri
        What was your grandmother's name, date, location, and  of birth?  Do you know where they lived?  Also, do you know Ida May's maiden name, and if she remarried?  If you can give just a few more facts, I will see if I can find anything for you.
        Stacy

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2010
          My Grandmother's name was Francis Irene Cooper but her birthname was Parmelee.
          She was born Oct 8th, 1917 in Denver, Colorado.
          Her mother was named Ida May Munn. She remarried a man with the last name of Cooper.
          Its been very difficult to locate Frances Parmelee. He was a salesman according to his WWI draft record. I just dont know who his parents were or where he ended up after the divorce.

          Thanks

          Keri

          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, stacy mims <ssmims63@...> wrote:

          > Keri
          > What was your grandmother's name, date, location, and  of birth?  Do you know where they lived?  Also, do you know Ida May's maiden name, and if she remarried?  If you can give just a few more facts, I will see if I can find anything for you.
          > Stacy
          >

          > ________________________________

        • ssmims63
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2010
            Keri
            I've found some information for you. I will just write it out, and you can email me directly at ssmims63@... so I can send you all of the original documents.

            On the 1920 Denver, Denver, Co census, there is a Frances M. "Parnule" living as a "lodger", and his occupation is listed as "traveler insurance". He states he, his father, and mother were born in Michigan.

            On the 1930 Long Beach, CA, census there is a Frank M. Parmelee, married, and living with his wife, Lois B. Parmelee. He states that he, his father, and his mother were born in Michigan. Lois B. Parmelee states that she was born in CO. He was born in 1885 and she was born in 1895.

            I then found a 1926 newspaper article stating that "Mr. and Mrs. Frank Parmelee, from Long Beach, CA, were the guests of C. M. Avery".

            C.M. Avery was Clark Milton Avery, who married Elsie Baumgardner. I found their marriage announcement, no one on Ancestry has her name. He was a prominent grower and land owner in Ukiah CA. I can find no other article with Frank, F. M., Lois, etc. anywhere. I also can't find any connection between these families. I found Elsie Baumgardner's family, and Lois B. that marries Frank Parmelee, is not a Baumgardner.

            I then found the Long Beach voter registration for the years 1926 and 1928 for Francis M. Parmelee and Lois B. Parmelee. On the 1938 San Diego voter registration, Frank M. Parmelee is living alone, and he lists his occupation as salesman.

            Finally, I found the 1938 McNeil Island Penitentiary of Washington State Records.
            Frank M. Parmelee was arrested, and convicted in San Diego, CA, in 1938. His crime is listed as: "Postal-Stealing Mail Matter". He was sentenced to 13 months.
            He states he was born in the USA, on 28 Jan 1885. He states he is married, and living in San Diego, CA. And, he states that his occupation is salesman.
            On the section labeled "Address for Relative", he puts, "Friend, Mrs. Hutchinson, 1464 C. Street, San Diego, CA."

            With time served, he was eligable for parole in Nov. 1938, but I can find absolutely nothing for him after that. This Mrs. Hutchinson lived about 20 blocks from where he was living (his address on the 1938 voter registration). I can't find what their connection was.

            I will keep looking, and email me directly at ssmims63@... so I can get these records sent to you,
            Stacy

            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2010
              Keri
              I have found Francis Marion Parmelee's parents, and grandparents.

              Email me directly at ssmims63@...
              Stacy

              ________________________________
              My Grandmother' s name was Francis Irene Cooper but her birthname was Parmelee.
              She was born Oct 8th, 1917 in Denver, Colorado.
              Her mother was named Ida May Munn. She remarried a man with the last name of Cooper.
              Its been very difficult to locate Frances Parmelee. He was a salesman according to his WWI draft record. I just dont know who his parents were or where he ended up after the divorce.

              Thanks

              Keri

              --- In genealogychatfriend s@yahoogroups. com, stacy mims <ssmims63@.. .> wrote:

              > Keri
              > What was your grandmother' s name, date, location, and  of birth?  Do you know where they lived?  Also, do you know Ida May's maiden name, and if she remarried?  If you can give just a few more facts, I will see if I can find anything for you.
              > Stacy
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • Bloodhound; Kermit
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2010
                Keri -

                Given the birthdate of 28 Jan 1885 from the WW1 Draft Card:

                > World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
                > Name: Francis Marion Parmelee
                > Address: 1954 Penn, Denver, Denver, Colorado
                > Birth Date: 28 Jan 1885
                > Occupation: Salesman, Central States Life Ins. Co.

                this is a possibility -
                1900 Thornapple, Barry, Michigan
                Joles, Fremont, head 32 married 10 yrs born NY:NY:NY
                (), Clara D, wife 40 married 10 yrs born Jan 1860 MI:PA:NY
                - 3 children 3 living
                (), Fred H, son 7 born MI:NY:MI
                Parmalee, Frank, stepson, 15 born Jan 1885 MI:MI:MI
                White, Lucy/59/servant/widow, Earney/19/boarder

                1910 Flagler, Kit Carson, Colorado
                Joels, Fremont D, head 41 married.1 20 yrs born NY:NY:NY
                (), Clara D, wife 48 married.2 20 yrs born MI:PA:NY
                - 5 children 5 living
                (), Frederick H/18:MI, Mimie D/9:MI, Maxine M/5:MI
                1920 Denver, Denver, Colorado - surname JOELS

                - Tom Knox