RE: [genchatfriends] help with all my papers

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2010
      Good to know that sheet protectors these days are archival quality! It's
      been a while since I've bought any.

      I've not thought of hitting Joann's when they're having scrapbooking supply
      sales. I'll have to do that when I get the ads. I'll go ahead of time and
      look at what would be useful.

      Thanks for the tips!

      Anny

      From: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
      From: april_anastasia@... <mailto:april_anastasia%40yahoo.com>
      <mailto:april_anastasia%40yahoo.com>
      Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:34:42 -0800

      I've decided to get a notebook (2" hardcover binder) for each surname in my
      Tree. I am putting tabs on page protectors breaking the family down by
      person. Each person gets a print out of their family page (from my Family
      Tree Maker program) their own I pocket divider (These come in various
      colors.) to hold the loose papers pertaining to him/her, all the odd notes
      and the copy of a census record, etc.. I've also printed off a portion of
      their family tree and a picture of each individual, too, if one exists, so
      that I know at a glance who this person is. I have not finished filing all
      that loose data, either, to my chagrin. But I've got it started. :-D

      Hope this idea helps you.

      ~april

      "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at
      once!"

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2010
        Thank you, glad I could help.  I grabbed the type of notebook that allows you to slip a page over the front (so I could further personalize it) making sure it was of the durable grade.  (Notebooks do wear out over time, after all.)  I like Staples or Office Depot, which can be slightly more expensive, but I watch for the sales and use my membercard. I found a lovely shade of teal binders.  And yes, cliche or not, the Irish branch will be in green.  :-P

        For my British branch I found a nice map of the British Isles and made a color copy of it, to slip into the front plastic of their notebook.  :-D  I also found cardstock for the ends and using an acid free marker printed the surname so I can see which notebook to grab from the shelf.

        To: genealogychatfriend s@yahoogroups. com

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2010
          There are products for archival storage of photos and photo negatives. One company that carries boxes for photos and sleeves for negatives is called Creative Memories. They also have scrapbooks (different types and sizes) and digital programs for scrapbooking, which can be adapted for genealogical purposes if you want. This company has representatives that do home parties, and put on workshops and teaching classses. Check their website, for links to consultants in your area or order products online. Their site is http://www.creativememories.com/MainMenu/Our-products-and-services
          There are also other companies that carry archival products.
          you might want to check out Sally Jacob's site at
          http://practicalarchivist.com/
          she is known as The Practical Archivist and her blog has lots of good info regarding saving photos and other heirlooms. She also has recommended companies that sell archival materials.