Hit a brick wall, please help

  • Darryl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
      My Name is Darryl Jon ROOT,

      I have hit a brick wall with my great grandfather. I need some help.

      James Alexander DOUGAN B abt 1895 in Canada. D 1941 in San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA. Married to Algalene Virginia HENTON. Children are my grandmother Betty Jim DOUGAN, Virginai Lee DOUGAN, Rose DOUGAN, Pat DOUGAN and Sharon Lynne DOUGAN. There is a family story that the name was O'DOUGAN or O'DUGAN but he was tired of putting the O so when he came to America from Canada he dropped it. It is my understanding that his parents are from Ireland and left during the Potatoes famine into Canada. I cannot confirm this.

      Please help me find his parents and siblings. Any information, stories, photos would be helpful.

      Please email me at irpappyroot2@...

      Thank you
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
        Any chance your Dougan's are connected with Donnegan's ??? Or Dromgoole's
        ? I realize it's a reach, but sometimes names intertwine.

        Anny

        I have hit a brick wall with my great grandfather. I need some help.

        James Alexander DOUGAN B abt 1895 in Canada. D 1941 in San Francisco, San
        Francisco, California, USA. Married to Algalene Virginia HENTON. Children
        are my grandmother Betty Jim DOUGAN, Virginai Lee DOUGAN, Rose DOUGAN, Pat
        DOUGAN and Sharon Lynne DOUGAN. There is a family story that the name was
        O'DOUGAN or O'DUGAN but he was tired of putting the O so when he came to
        America from Canada he dropped it. It is my understanding that his parents
        are from Ireland and left during the Potatoes famine into Canada. I cannot
        confirm this.

        Please help me find his parents and siblings. Any information, stories,
        photos would be helpful.

        Please email me at irpappyroot2@... <mailto:irpappyroot2%40yahoo.com>

        Thank you

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
          We had a cat name MacDougal : )))

          I have hit a brick wall with my great grandfather. I need some help.

          James Alexander DOUGAN B abt 1895 in Canada. D 1941 in San Francisco, San
          Francisco, California, USA. Married to Algalene Virginia HENTON. Children
          are my grandmother Betty Jim DOUGAN, Virginai Lee DOUGAN, Rose DOUGAN, Pat
          DOUGAN and Sharon Lynne DOUGAN. There is a family story that the name was
          O'DOUGAN or O'DUGAN but he was tired of putting the O so when he came to
          America from Canada he dropped it. It is my understanding that his parents
          are from Ireland and left during the Potatoes famine into Canada. I cannot
          confirm this.

          Please help me find his parents and siblings. Any information, stories,
          photos would be helpful.

          Please email me at irpappyroot2@... <mailto:irpappyroot2%40yahoo.com>

          Thank you

        • Bloodhound; Kermit
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
            I like to work from the more-recent backwards,
            so just follow along with me here - - -

            Q: Do you have a specific deathdate for James?
            I do not find James DOUGAN (d.194*) in the California Death Index (1940-1997) at Ancestry.com (also not found as James DOU* or ODO* or O DOU*). He might have died just a bit too early for the "full start" of that particular database. Or maybe he didn't die *in* California, even if that was his official residence or final resting place?

            These certainly look like James A & Virginia A -
            California Voter Registrations, 1900-1968
            Alameda County > 1934 > Roll 36 > Image 601
            Dougan, James A, 5048 Dover st, cook
            Dougan, Mrs Virginia A, 5048 Dover st, housewife
            Alameda County > 1932 > Roll 32 > Image 267
            Dougan, James A, 1054 45th st, cook
            Alameda County > 1930 > Roll 29 > Image 1342
            Dougan, James A, Jr, 2108 Allston Way, manager

            This must be the right family - she's a DOUGAN-HENTON -
            California Birth Index, 1905-1995
            Name: Patsy DOUGAN
            Birth Date: ** *** 1932 - Birth County: Alameda
            Mother's Maiden Name: HENTON

            With these children's names, it's gotta be the right people -
            1925 Kiowa, Barber, Kansas
            Dougan, James A/29:Canada/immigrat:1905, Virginia L?/22:OK,
            (), Betty Jim/4:KS, Virgina Lee/10m:KS

            1920 Kiowa, Barber, Kansas
            (in the household of Stephen Tubbs/57)
            Dougan, James/24:AZ:Ireland:England, Virginia/18:OK:US:US
            NOTE: James is listed as Restaurant Proprietor
            NOTE: no immigration date since he is listed as born ARIZONA

            Q: Do you have a marriage certificate for James & Virginia?
            The certificate or license often has the parents listed.
            Maybe they were married in Kiowa, Kansas?

            If James emigrated in 1905 (per 1925 KS state census), then he should be in the 1910 US census someplace - but I didn't find him.
            He should also be in the WWI Draft Registration Database (1917-1918) - young men were required to register regardless of their citizenship status.
            There might or might not be an immigration record for James on the internet - ditto for naturalization records. There *should* be a naturalization record for him someplace, but the question is WHERE.

            Q: Do you have a specific birthdate for James Dougan?
            Q: Or where in Canada he was born?
            I took a quick look at the 1901 and 1911 Canada censuses, but didn't find a likely-looking James DOU*N* or ODO*N* or O born circa 1895. (searching for surname O will capture O DOUGAN, which is treated differently by Ancestry.com than ODOUGAN - the space makes a difference in the queries.)

            - Tom Knox