[Genchatfriends] Genealogy - German Family History Research Help Please!

  • Nick Clarke
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
      Hi,

      I'm new to this group, but was wondering if anyone could help, We
      recently started researching my Family Tree, my Mother was from Germany,
      and we've hit a brick wall !

      Ancestry.com/Ancestry.co.uk is commonly used in USA & UK, was wondering
      if anyone knows what Genealogy websites would be good for German Family
      History research, already tried ancestry.de (without much success).

      Thanks in advance

      Nick

    • J.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
        You might try:
        http://www.cyndislist.com/germany.htm
        http://www.kindredtrails.com/germany.html
        http://www.genealogy-germany.de/

        I hope one of the helps you.

        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Nick Clarke <nick.clarke@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm new to this group, but was wondering if anyone could help, We
        > recently started researching my Family Tree, my Mother was from Germany,
        > and we've hit a brick wall !
        >
        > Ancestry.com/Ancestry.co.uk is commonly used in USA & UK, was wondering
        > if anyone knows what Genealogy websites would be good for German Family
        > History research, already tried ancestry.de (without much success).
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Nick

      • Robert Warren
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
          Try Saxony Roots at http://www.germanyroots.com It has lots of info including passanger list of some ships of imagrants to US and other countries.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2009
            You might try: FamilySearch.org

            There is also GermanGenealogyGroup.com which has a lot of links.

            Joy

            --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Nick Clarke <nick.clarke@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm new to this group, but was wondering if anyone could help, We
            > recently started researching my Family Tree, my Mother was from Germany,
            > and we've hit a brick wall !
            >
            > Ancestry.com/Ancestry.co.uk is commonly used in USA & UK, was wondering
            > if anyone knows what Genealogy websites would be good for German Family
            > History research, already tried ancestry.de (without much success).
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            >
            > Nick

          • Nick Clarke
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2009
              Hi,

              Thanks to everyone that replied to my inital message, I'm going to have
              a look through and will let you all know what success I have.

              Incidently, another tactic I've tried is Facebook, by searching for
              surnames in my family tree, I've been able to send messages to Facebook
              users to see if there is any connection to anyone in my family, of
              course, it's best to be guarded about what information you give out, but
              I've had a couple of interesting responces already

              Nick