Is the closing of free website hosts threathening our genealogy resources?

  • aitkenms
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25 12:27 PM
      Yahoo sent me an e-mail that Geocities would be closing on October 26th 2009. Which means I have to move my genealogy portal/pages to a new site. While I'm sorting all this out, I've taken the opportunity to go through all my links to ensure they're all up to date. What I've found is both positive and negative.

      The positive:

      More and more countries/government agencies are providing resources on their websites for genealogists.

      The negative:

      The information and resources collected by our fellow genealogists is disappearing. AOL and Compuserve have shut down free sites, and now Geocities is following suit. Yahoo seems to at least have understood there is value in these free sites, as they've asked the Internet Archive to index as many of the Geocities sites as possible before the closure. But how do newbies know these sites even existed in the first place, and get the link to look them up there?

      The AOL and Compuserve sites seem lost for good. I've tried to locate newer versions, but my guess it the owners gave up when they were faced with the task of transferring them elsewhere. My portal is going to take a lot of my time in the forseeable future, but I know it's being used, so want to make sure it stays online. I was tempted to let it go though.

      I'm sure there will always be link portals etc. for us genealogists, but I'm saddened by the loss of research guides from those who've researched specific areas before us and the loss of transcribed lists of ships, immigrants, cemetary records etc. I realise the website hosts don't have a legal responsibility to save this information for the future/historical purposes, but there should be a moral one. As a minimum, when a host decides to withdraw their service, they should be required to submit the sites to the Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org/index.php).
    • thirteenball2002
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26 6:14 AM
        This is very sad! I have joined several groups and I enjoy all of them.
        I am a Host/Owner of GenHaven, and we too had to find a new site to put our Group as MSN closed their Groups.Was very hard to find one that best suited us.The hardest part was transfering our data to the new site.We worked very hard on this group and did not want to lose any of it.
        I wish the best for this group as I enjoy it very much.
        Jen Jen

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26 12:45 PM
          I got that notice, too.  A long time ago I was offered a site through the Family Tree Maker, but I was just starting out and had no clue about setting up a single web page, let alone a site so I never got around to putting my family history up.  Now I run a website totally unrelated to genealogy, but I will use that same web program when I'm ready to launch my family history site and just pay the yearly fee to have it hosted.  That still won't be for a little while, though.  I'm working hard currently to gather enough data, stories, pictures, etc. to make the effort worthwhile.

          I'd be frantic about now, if my family tree were up through Geocities.  For me, it was merely a single page related to my website, and that has been resolved.  Phew!

          Good luck downloading your stuff!

          ~april

          "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26 1:02 PM
            I feel your pain!  I had a site I created and ran with an older version of the Dreamweaver program.  I had hundreds of files!  Suddenly, after three or four years in, I could no longer update my site through the program.  There was no fixing the error that cropped up in the program and so I ended up purchasing WebStudio4.

             I like that program much better, by the way.  No need to fumble about with HTML (I'm practically HTML illiterate :-P).  it's a drop and drag format.  Yay.  But even so, it took litterally hours upon hours to transfer my site.  I was just gratified it's housed on my laptop so that I could change venues while working on it.  My favorite place was downstairs in my family room listening to the TV while I worked.

            What a headache, though.

            Good luck on your transistion.