foster child

  • Verna Lynn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2009
      hey anyone out there no how to find the correct parrents of a someone listed on a census as "foster child"

      the genealogy librarians at several libraries have not been a bit of help. they all tell me the effort is futile as there was probably an illegitimate birth involved and women found ways of hiding their shame by giving birth in a different county or even state and using fake names.

      can anyone suggest a place to start? I know who she was living with at the age of four "no relationship to head of household" listed as question on 1860 census. but "mr and Mrs Pinder were old enough to be her grandparrents.

      but in 1870 she was living in a home with a married, childless couple "john and louisa Swap" listed as Foster-child. the widowed woman that the fosterchild was living with in the 1860 census was living in the household and listed as mother-in-law.

      these are all the names given to me as my true lineage by my grandmother, so evidently it was never explained to her that Frances was not the real daughter of John and Louisa Swap. but then grandma told me John was from england and neither he or his parrents are listed as foreign born on census, but Louisa (pinder) swap was had an English father, so Grandma didn't have all the answers reguarding her own grandmother and great-grandparrents. I was shocked when I saw the words foster-child on the census.

      can anyone suggest a direction or course of action to try? i'mm clueless how to proceed. I don't know if Frances was an illegitimate child of someone who abandoned her, or if her parrents died and family members took her in. i've got millions of possible scenarios as to who how Frances could have ended up a foster child, but no ideas as to how to prove or disprove any of them.

      Verna