Newbie

  • Beth
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
      Hi!
      I am new to genealogy and to groups! I am hoping to get some help in learning the ropes.
      Thanks,
      Beth

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
        Welcome aboard, Beth.

        ~april

        "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

        ________________________________
        I am new to genealogy and to groups! I am hoping to get some help in learning the ropes.
        Thanks,
        Beth

      • Verna Lynn
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
          Welcome

          there are lots of people here, all friendly and helpful. they all made me feel welcome.
          I've been in the group a month but been researching my ancestry for a few years. I still have alot to learn myself. but I've made alot of progress so far. I'm taking genealogy classes at the indiana state library each week. its a summer program they have. I've been at genealogy long enough that quite a bit of it I've figured out on my own already, but still learning alot from the classes as far as types of records worth going after that people aren't always aware are out there and learning and where to find them. It showed me that despite the Huge files that I have accumulated just on the first grandparrent, that I have barely scratched the surface of available data floating around out there.

          none of your lines are anything that I am research.

          I'm researching
          Austermiller from germany and clay county, and vigo county IND,
          Otto from German to IND
          Page from , England to NJ to IND
          Hobson from England to PA to NC to IND
          Briggs from Ireland to virgina to IND,
          Glenn from Ireland to KY to IND
          Phillips, from PA to NC to ky to IND
          Finchum from KY to IND
          Shepherd, native american (haven't tackled that branch yet)
          Mapes from Ireland then efentually IND

          if any of your lines require information from central indiana, let me know I may be able to assist you, I visit libraries frequently in many counties nearby, and there are several central indiana libraries I need to hit. would be happy to look something up for anyone needing access to my area. esp the counties of hendricks, morgan, marion, johnson, clay owen and vigo.

          this offer is extened to anyone out there.

          also I know of several great German geanealogy websites if any is reasearching germany. but always looking for more german websites if anyone knows of good ones I might not have. I know enough german to navigate a genealogy website. all the nessisary words, sirname, birth baptism, marriage,mother, father, sister, godmother etc. and of course you quickly learn the german words for "no results found" seen that one more times than I like.

          Verna Lynn

          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Erin" <coatesfamilymail@...> wrote:

          > Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone and say Hello. I
          > am sort of new to geneaology and I am so glad to have found this
          > group. I am researching these surnames...if anyone could possibly
          > help?
          > Hardcastle
          > Gunderson
          > Myers
          > Osterman(n)
          > Thanks ahead of time!!

        • Verna Lynn
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
            Welcom Beth

            what kind of help are you looking for?
            I'm sure whatever it is there is someone here who can give you an idea as to how to proceed.

            the people here are very nice and all have great family stories to share. fun to hear about all the everyones triumps, and discoveries, and to hear about all the odd stuff that we encounter as we journey backwards in time discovering our ancestors.

            Verna

            --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Beth" <keynomore@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            > I am new to genealogy and to groups! I am hoping to get some help in learning the ropes.
            > Thanks,
            > Beth

          • Martha Menzel
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2009
              Hi,

              Welcome to this group!

              I have a

              James Tucker Page (b abt 1802 in Charlottesville, VA; d 2 May 1852 in MO--most probably Linn County) and his descendants.

              George Mitchell Phillips (b abt 1771 in Amherst County, VA; d unknown) and his descendants

              Martha

            • Mary