      From: ddisaac <isaacdd2004@...>
      Subject: Re: [genchatfriends] Looking for info. on Lugarda Sonobia (sp?) born approx. 1866 in Louisiana
      To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, April 3, 2009, 1:41 PM

      Katy_Road_Pink:
      Spelling names phonetically was very common.  Either the resident did not read
      or write, so the census taker put down what he thought was correct, or they
      didn't read and write very well.
      You need to play with the spelling of both first and last names, and when you
      put the name in for a google search, don't check the "exact
      spelling" box.  Some sites have boxes you can check if you want them to
      check for sounds like, phonetic, or exact.
      I have pretty good luck with family search.org, but the best I had was with
      Ancestry.com.  They have a 14 day free trial going on now.  You may want to
      try it.
      Good luck!

      Hugs,
      Patty