      From: David Gawthorn <gawthornd@...>
      To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, March 2, 2009 6:30:19 AM
      Subject: [genchatfriends] Re:Damaged photos

      Just had a look at that site and think the prices seem very expensive. I bought a HP all in one scanner/copier and cost about $A30 and it does a great job with the included software on "fixing up" old photos. Surely that would be a cheaper alternative rather than getting outside help except for very poor quality old photos?

      One of the old photos I scanned was a round image about 2 inches wide. I set the scanner on about 1500 dots per inch (normal is 200) and was amazed at the clarity of the image. We really thought the image was of a younger woman, but the scanned image showed all the wrinkles of an 80 year old.