8845Re: I need help

  • James
    Aug 2, 2008
      The volunteers in LDS Family History Centers are mostly researchers
      (not professional) themselves and some are very knowledgable. They
      will be able to assist you but the main work will be yours. You will
      have to pay a small fee for anything printed out - was 10 cents a
      page. And you can order microfiche or microfilm through the center
      (they have readers) but there is a charge for that. The best way to
      find out about the library and what can be done is to visit with some
      of your info and people you are looking for - with as much on them as
      you have.

      Jim

      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "ljm" <ljm0755@...> wrote:

      > First of all, don't worry about spending any money, you will find
      > that you can research for free. Secondly, do a bit of research on
      > the methods of genealogy. Kimberly Powell over at about.com
      > (genealogy section) has a very good tutorial for beginners.
      > Familysearch.org has one as well. And I do believe there is a book
      > you can check out at the library called "Genealogy for Dummies".
      >
      > Once you have written down all the information you know then you
      > start with the unknown. Use these resources in your research:
      >
      > Federal Census(1790-1930)go to a library that has ancestry.com, all
      > you need is a library card OR locate a LDS(Mormans) center in your
      > town, you can order census film for a small fee(or they may have
      > certain years in their facility)) Familysearch.org has the 1880
      > census for free. The Mormans have the largest genealogy holdings in
      > the world. Learn how to use the federal census in your research,
      > there are books you can get from the library just on the federal
      > census.
      >
      > SSDI: The Social Security Death Index lists all deceased people who
      > were receiving benefits. Access this through rootsweb.com or
      > familysearch.org. The SSDI helps in determining date of death and
      > location.
      >
      > Ellis Island website has passenger lists if your ancestors were
      > foreign born
      >
      > Many libraries have extensive genealogy sections, most with a
      > genealogy society as well. They will help you get started.
      > Libraries have newspapers on microfilm if you need to find an obit
      > or death notice.
      >
      > Volunteer websites: Rootsweb.com and USGENWEB.com Volunteers have
      > transcribed and contributed documents/research. RAOGK.org is a site
      > where people will look things up for you from their collection for
      > free.
      >
      > I could go on and on, but don't forget your most important resource,
      > your family. Start interviewing them and get copies of documents,
      > such as birth, death, marriage, baptismal certificates. Funeral
      > cards and obit clippings. Old photographs can be scanned and saved
      > to your computer.
      >
      > And lastly, a word on organization, it is very important that you
      > develop a filing system. Usually a folder for each person and their
      > spouse is sufficient. I make a master folder for the surname I am
      > researching and then put my individual folders in the master
      > folder. My master folder also contains information on the location
      > I am researching. If all of your ancestors lived in Illinois, then
      > make a folder for all the resources available to you in Illinois as
      > well. There are many genealogical forms available for free on the
      > internet as well. These forms help organize your data:
      >
      > Family Group Sheet
      > Pedigree Chart
      > Research Log
      >
      > Good Luck and you can always post questions here when you need
      > help. You will find fellow researchers love helping others!

> [...]
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic