11315Re: [genchatfriends] Re: Interesting Block Wall

    May 26, 2014
      Thank you for that tidbit. I'm ashamed to admit that thought never occurred to me. I've been doing this family tree thing for several years, yet in so many ways I'm such a noob.

      I've run searches on 1870 census records and cannot find him. I was seriously considering finding out exactly when the March to the Sea took place, but I'm thinking five years after the war would be nothing short of rubbing the losing side's nose in it. *:-O surprise I am aware that J.W. Herring fought on the side of the Union and was in Company H, Infantry Division, which did, indeed, take part in that great march under General Sherman. I do believe he is listed as a farmer in one of the census records I've pulled up. I was just a little sad to find out that his very young wife died in 1871. But, then again, had she lived I might not be here …

      ~april

      "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

      On Sunday, May 25, 2014 8:58 PM, "'WEAVER' joyweave@... [genealogychatfriends]" <genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      It is possible that there really is no mystery here.  In 1870, Eliza and her child could have been visiting her parents and just happened to be caught up in the census while there.

      Or perhaps her husband’s occupation caused them to be apart for a time.  In my husband’s family, his 2ggrandparents were living separately, she with an 8-month-old child, in the 1860 census.  He was a farm laborer, living for the summer on the farm where he worked and she was a live-in servant in a nearby household.

      Joy Weaver

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic