10535Re: Looking for missing info on relatives: Madge McDERMED

  • Bloodhound; Kermit
    Aug 6, 2010
      Just a side-story on the McDermed family -

      Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California) 1928 > April > 15
      (image 42 of 106)
      CHURCH CLUB TO GIVE PLAY
      Alameda, April 14 - Members of the Players' club of the First Congregational church, Central avenue and Chestnut street, will present their fifth annual Easter party tomorrow night.
      Under the direction of Mrs. Georgia Lou Owen the drama "St. Claudia"(?), consisting of five scenes which take place in the courtyard of Pontius Pilate will be offered. The cast will include J. E. McDermed, Lydia McDermed, Harold Smethurst, Teddy Larsen, Marjory Mason, Dorothy Fisher, Edmundsen McDermed and Josep Borden.
      Special numbers will be sung as part of the program by a quartette consisting of ...

      There are numerous newspaper references (at Ancestry.com) to McDERMED in Alameda - spot-checking them finds them mostly referring to church and school (Fremont High) and school/church plays (at least one with a pic of Lydia McDermed).

      Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California) 1905 > January > 21
      (image 19 of 22)
      OFFICIAL RECORDS.
      Friday, January 20, 1905.
      DEEDS.
      J. E. and Lydia McDermed (wife) to W. H. Donahue, 57.43 acres beginning at point on S line county road Dublin to Livermore, distant NE ... ... Pleasanton township: $10.
      W. H. and Annie G. Donahue (wife) to R. C. Peah, same, Pleasanton township, $10.

      - Tom Knox

      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Bloodhound; Kermit" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

      > LOL! Thank you, Stacy!
      > That means that I found the right family but the wrong daughter!!
      > (in the 1900 census)
      > To "natuernut" - this has just GOT to be her!
      >
      > > 1900 Eden, Alameda, California
      > > McDermed, Joseph E, head 31 m.6y born Feb 1869 CA:MO:Ireland
      > > (), Lydia M, wife 31 m.6y born Dec 1868 Canada:England:Eng
      > > (), Margaret A, daughter 4 born Aug 1895 CA:CA:Can
      > > (), Jennie M, daughter 2 born Feb 1898 CA:CA:Can
      >
      > The 1910 census you refer to has surname McDermott -
      > 1910 Oakland Ward 7 (Brooklyn Township), Alameda, California
      > McDermott, Joseph/41:CA:MO:MO, Lydia/41:Can:Eng:Eng,
      > - married.1 15 yrs, 7 children 7 living
      > (), Margaret M/14, Madge/12:CA:CA:Can, Sarah/8, Edmandson/7,
      > (), Jewel/5, Lydia/2, Robert/11m
      >
      > 1920 Oakland (Brooklyn Township), Alameda, California
      > McDermed, Ed/50:CA:IL:IL, Lydia/50:Can:Can:Can,
      > (), Sarah/18, Edmundson/16, Jewel/15, Lydia/12, Robert/10
      > Snodgrass, Mae/23, Lewis/21 (both single boarders)
      >
      > 1930 Alameda, Alameda, CA - 1010 Pacific Ave.
      > McDermed, Joseph E/61:CA:MO:Ireland, Lydia M/61:Can:Can:Can,
      > (), Edmundson W/27:CA:CA:Can, Lydia F/22, Robert F/20
      >
      > Noting that, in 1900, "McDermed, Joseph E, 31 born Feb 1869" -
      > California Death Index, 1940-1997
      > Name: Joseph E McDermed
      > Birth Date: 24 Feb 1869 *** [match month+year to 1900 census]
      > Birthplace: California
      > Death Date: 7 Apr 1964
      > Death Place: Marin [County, CA]
      > Mother's Maiden Name: Locke
      > ==========
      > Name: Lydia Marymadgelew McDermed [Lydia Marymadgelew Lewis]
      > Social Security #: 0
      > Birth Date: 28 Dec 1867 *** [match month to 1900 census]
      > Birthplace: Canada
      > Death Date: 5 Jun 1941
      > Death Place: Marin
      > Father's Surname: Lewis
      > NOTE: I think the "middle name" is a concatenation
      > of "Mary Madge Lewis"
      >
      > 1880 Murray, Alameda, California
      > McDermed, J E, head 48 married Farmer born MO:KY:VA
      > (), Sarah, wife 42 married born Ireland:Ire:Ire
      > (), John C/16:CA:MO:Ire, Margret A/14, Joseph E/11, William R/8
      >
      > - Tom Knox
      >

      > - -- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, stacy mims <ssmims63@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I found your Madge McDermed.  When you posted this final message, I realized that I had the right person.  On the 1900 census she is listed as Jennie M. McDermed, and on the 1910 census, she is listed as Madge.  Her father was Joseph, and her mother Lydia.  Joseph was born in CA, and Lydia in Canada.  Do you have access to Ancestry?  I could only find one of Joseph and Lydia Lewis McDermed's children in the CA Birth Index.  With this record  I found that Lydia M. McDermed's maiden name was Lewis.  I am attaching the 1900, 1910, and 1930 census with this McDermed family.
      > >
      > > Name:Lydia F Mcdermed
      > > Birth Date:16 Apr 1907
      > > Gender:Female
> [...]
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic