Re: Introduction : Harry in Vancouver

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2008
      Ingrid,

      Dankie vir die boodskap. Ja, ek weet waar Blokzijl is!

      It used to be on the eastern shore of the Ijsselmeer before that area
      was laid dry. I have it on a nice map of 1600's Nederland and it is also
      nicely findable on watwaswaar.nl. However, I suspect it was just the
      place where perhaps he registered with the VOC. I believe many young men
      gave addresses that they thought the VOC would find acceptable.

      I'm aware that Blokzijl could have been an ideal place for a young man
      from nearby Friesland to go. I am also aware that the name Boiens (and
      all the variants of it) occurs frequently in the various parts of
      Friesland in both Nederland and Germany. It is actually quite rare in
      South Africa . I have spent a lot of time on tresoar.nl and have found
      lots and lots of Boiens/Boyens families in Friesland. None so far fits
      my "specifications".

      Some people in South Africa believe Pieter Boijens' mother was Battina
      Moline Rus from France and his father was Jhoon Pietersz Boijens and
      that he was also born in France. Others say he was born in September
      1695 in Blokzijl. However, they do not provide evidence. That would have
      made him 17 years old when he arrived at the Cape. He shows on the
      Monsterrol in 1712...I don't believe a lone 17-year old boy would have
      been put on the Rol.

      All we REALLY have on paper is that he CAME FROM Blokzijl. I have found
      out that "Jhoon" is a known and accepted form of "Johannes". I'm
      wondering in what part of the country they made Johannes into
      Jhoon....perhaps Friesland? It most certanly doe not seem Waals or
      Frans.

      On the other hand, when I search the name today on familienaam.be and
      .nl, I find lots of them in Limburg. That is why I thouht I shuold try
      Limburg.

      I'll take your advice, though, and look for some help from the
      Overijssel people....and from you...wearing your Overijssel hat. ;)

      Dankie vir die uitnodiging.
      Beste Groete

      Harry
      Vancouver