Re[2]: [gelide] new to Gel

  • Ivan Vecanski
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi Gerald,

      On 02 March 2002 at 13:25:39 GMT -0500 (which was 18:25 where I live) Gerald Nunn
      wrote:

      >> - When many files are open, it would be usefull to be able to quickly
      >> go to a desired file (instead of ctrl-tabbing through the whole list
      >> or clicking the arrows on the right). Maybe a solution could be to
      >> organize the open file tabs as Jbuilder (in several rows), or maybe a
      >> list of open files could be accessed through a menu...

      GN> You can do that now, go to Options|Editor and turn on the multiline tabs
      GN> option.

      Great! BTW, is there an option for this in Delphi?

      >> - Bookmarks on lines (across files) would also be very helpfull (like
      >> Ctrl-Shift-<#> in Jbuilder).

      GN> Bookmarks are also supported as well, it's the same keystroke as JBuilder
      GN> <Ctrl><Shift>#. If the file is in a project, the bookmarks are persisted
      GN> between sessions.

      As I could see from the jde file, bookmarks are file based.
      Is there a way I can "quick jump" to a bookmark in a different file?

      When I minimize Gel it doesn't minimize completely to the task bar,
      instead it creates one of those 'title bar icons', like when you
      minimize a window in an MDI application. Bug or feature? It can be
      annoying when Gel is minimized and the user wants to reach it through
      ALT-TAB or the task bar.

      Regards,

      Ivan

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
        Ivan,

        Download and install the GExperts add-in for Delphi at
        http://www.gexperts.org

        > As I could see from the jde file, bookmarks are file based.
        > Is there a way I can "quick jump" to a bookmark in a different file?

        How would the interface for this to work? Every file could have a bookmark
        #1, how would it know what file to jump to?

        > When I minimize Gel it doesn't minimize completely to the task bar,
        > instead it creates one of those 'title bar icons', like when you
        > minimize a window in an MDI application. Bug or feature? It can be
        > annoying when Gel is minimized and the user wants to reach it through
        > ALT-TAB or the task bar.

        Bug, will be fixed in the next version, thanks.

        Gerald
      • Ivan Vecanski
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
          Hi Gerald,

          On 02 March 2002 at 18:07:20 GMT -0500 (which was 23:07 where I live) Gerald Nunn
          wrote:

          >> As I could see from the jde file, bookmarks are file based.
          >> Is there a way I can "quick jump" to a bookmark in a different file?

          GN> How would the interface for this to work? Every file could have a bookmark
          GN> #1, how would it know what file to jump to?

          I guess the only solution would be to have bookmarks which would be
          unique in a project, as opposed to a file. Then, when you choose,
          let's say #1, you "jump" to the location in the file where that
          bookmark is. Delphi has bookmarks on a file level, JBuilder on a
          project level, which is probably due to the nature of languages. In my
          opinion, when developing in Java the user often has to jump from a
          bookmark in one file to a bookmark in another. Also, if you have 5
          bookmarks in file A, 5 in B, 5 in C, you will loose track of them, so
          it's probably reasonable to have them on a project level.

          Anyway, I don't think this is a very important issue. So many things
          in Gel work perfect, so please don't bother to much.

          Regards,

          Ivan