RE: [gelide] new to Gel

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
      Iavn,

      Thanks, at work I have a project with thousands of files so it gets tested
      quite well in regards to dealing with huge projects.

      > After the installation (Win ME) the SendTo link in the Win context
      > menu was searching for GelGel.exe

      Thanks, I will check that out.

      > - When many files are open, it would be usefull to be able to quickly
      > go to a desired file (instead of ctrl-tabbing through the whole list
      > or clicking the arrows on the right). Maybe a solution could be to
      > organize the open file tabs as Jbuilder (in several rows), or maybe a
      > list of open files could be accessed through a menu...

      You can do that now, go to Options|Editor and turn on the multiline tabs
      option.

      > - Bookmarks on lines (across files) would also be very helpfull (like
      > Ctrl-Shift-<#> in Jbuilder).

      Bookmarks are also supported as well, it's the same keystroke as JBuilder
      <Ctrl><Shift>#. If the file is in a project, the bookmarks are persisted
      between sessions.

      Gerald
    • Ivan Vecanski
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
        Hi Gerald,

        On 02 March 2002 at 13:25:39 GMT -0500 (which was 18:25 where I live) Gerald Nunn
        wrote:

        >> - When many files are open, it would be usefull to be able to quickly
        >> go to a desired file (instead of ctrl-tabbing through the whole list
        >> or clicking the arrows on the right). Maybe a solution could be to
        >> organize the open file tabs as Jbuilder (in several rows), or maybe a
        >> list of open files could be accessed through a menu...

        GN> You can do that now, go to Options|Editor and turn on the multiline tabs
        GN> option.

        Great! BTW, is there an option for this in Delphi?

        >> - Bookmarks on lines (across files) would also be very helpfull (like
        >> Ctrl-Shift-<#> in Jbuilder).

        GN> Bookmarks are also supported as well, it's the same keystroke as JBuilder
        GN> <Ctrl><Shift>#. If the file is in a project, the bookmarks are persisted
        GN> between sessions.

        As I could see from the jde file, bookmarks are file based.
        Is there a way I can "quick jump" to a bookmark in a different file?

        When I minimize Gel it doesn't minimize completely to the task bar,
        instead it creates one of those 'title bar icons', like when you
        minimize a window in an MDI application. Bug or feature? It can be
        annoying when Gel is minimized and the user wants to reach it through
        ALT-TAB or the task bar.

        Regards,

        Ivan

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
          Ivan,

          Download and install the GExperts add-in for Delphi at
          http://www.gexperts.org

          > As I could see from the jde file, bookmarks are file based.
          > Is there a way I can "quick jump" to a bookmark in a different file?

          How would the interface for this to work? Every file could have a bookmark
          #1, how would it know what file to jump to?

          > When I minimize Gel it doesn't minimize completely to the task bar,
          > instead it creates one of those 'title bar icons', like when you
          > minimize a window in an MDI application. Bug or feature? It can be
          > annoying when Gel is minimized and the user wants to reach it through
          > ALT-TAB or the task bar.

          Bug, will be fixed in the next version, thanks.

          Gerald
        • Ivan Vecanski
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
            Hi Gerald,

            On 02 March 2002 at 18:07:20 GMT -0500 (which was 23:07 where I live) Gerald Nunn
            wrote:

            >> As I could see from the jde file, bookmarks are file based.
            >> Is there a way I can "quick jump" to a bookmark in a different file?

            GN> How would the interface for this to work? Every file could have a bookmark
            GN> #1, how would it know what file to jump to?

            I guess the only solution would be to have bookmarks which would be
            unique in a project, as opposed to a file. Then, when you choose,
            let's say #1, you "jump" to the location in the file where that
            bookmark is. Delphi has bookmarks on a file level, JBuilder on a
            project level, which is probably due to the nature of languages. In my
            opinion, when developing in Java the user often has to jump from a
            bookmark in one file to a bookmark in another. Also, if you have 5
            bookmarks in file A, 5 in B, 5 in C, you will loose track of them, so
            it's probably reasonable to have them on a project level.

            Anyway, I don't think this is a very important issue. So many things
            in Gel work perfect, so please don't bother to much.

            Regards,

            Ivan