RE: [gelide] Re: Context menu in explorer

  • Daan Kets
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2002
      Jim

      Implementing a shell context handler is somewhat different from a normal
      file extension handler. It involves implementing some shell interfaces.
      Adding a new action to a file type however, does not. Also, a shell
      context handler resides in system memory all the time. As a result, a
      context handler will slow down the system (read : will increase the time
      before a context menu is shown for a certain file type).

      Of course, there are shell extensions, and shell extensions... A lot of
      companies implemented their shell extensions in an incorrect way,
      slowing down the system a LOT (for example, Iomegaware). The sell
      extension of WinZip however is fast, and correct.

      What I meant to indicate however, is that a shell extension is not the
      correct way to do this, as there is a faster, more standard way to do
      this.

      Daan

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2002
        Jim,

        I don't have any intention in doing this at this time, I think the send item is sufficient and my time isn't best spent writing shell extensions.

        From: "weejim76" <weejim76@...>
        Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 05:27:09 -0000