RE: [gelide] Context menu in explorer

  • Daan Kets
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      Jim

      I wouldn't ask for that - all these shell extensions (context handlers)
      only make your system slower - the better way to do this would be to
      create an extra action for the .java file extension - (my optinion)

      Daan

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2002
        Daan,

        I am skeptical to suggestion that a visible system slow down will be
        resulted from adding another action to the context menu. Winzip has
        done that. UltraEdit too, and I don't remember much difference in
        speed ;)

        I think implementing that only requires adding correct entries to the
        right place(s) in the windows registry (the same thing with
        associating a program for opening say .java files). Do correct me if
        I'm wrong, though.

        - Jim

        --- In gelide@y..., "Daan Kets" <daan.kets@g...> wrote:
        > Jim
        >

        > I wouldn't ask for that - all these shell extensions (context
        handlers)
        > only make your system slower - the better way to do this would be
        > create an extra action for the .java file extension - (my optinion)
        >
        > Daan
      • Daan Kets
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2002
          Jim

          Implementing a shell context handler is somewhat different from a normal
          file extension handler. It involves implementing some shell interfaces.
          Adding a new action to a file type however, does not. Also, a shell
          context handler resides in system memory all the time. As a result, a
          context handler will slow down the system (read : will increase the time
          before a context menu is shown for a certain file type).

          Of course, there are shell extensions, and shell extensions... A lot of
          companies implemented their shell extensions in an incorrect way,
          slowing down the system a LOT (for example, Iomegaware). The sell
          extension of WinZip however is fast, and correct.

          What I meant to indicate however, is that a shell extension is not the
          correct way to do this, as there is a faster, more standard way to do
          this.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2002
            Jim,

            I don't have any intention in doing this at this time, I think the send item is sufficient and my time isn't best spent writing shell extensions.

            From: "weejim76" <weejim76@...>
            Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 05:27:09 -0000