Context menu in explorer

  • weejim76
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      Gerald,

      is it possible to have a link in the context menu in windows explorer
      to open the selected file(s) in Gel. For example, with Winzip
      installed, right clicking in explorer will have a Add to Zip link in
      the context menu regardless of the file type.

      This will be faster and more convenient than the 2 level menu
      traversal currently required for the Send To Gel action in explorer.

      - Jim
    • Daan Kets
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2002
        Jim

        I wouldn't ask for that - all these shell extensions (context handlers)
        only make your system slower - the better way to do this would be to
        create an extra action for the .java file extension - (my optinion)

        Daan

        is it possible to have a link in the context menu in windows explorer
        to open the selected file(s) in Gel. For example, with Winzip
        installed, right clicking in explorer will have a Add to Zip link in
        the context menu regardless of the file type.

        This will be faster and more convenient than the 2 level menu
        traversal currently required for the Send To Gel action in explorer.

        - Jim

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • weejim76
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2002
          Daan,

          I am skeptical to suggestion that a visible system slow down will be
          resulted from adding another action to the context menu. Winzip has
          done that. UltraEdit too, and I don't remember much difference in
          speed ;)

          I think implementing that only requires adding correct entries to the
          right place(s) in the windows registry (the same thing with
          associating a program for opening say .java files). Do correct me if
          I'm wrong, though.

          - Jim

          --- In gelide@y..., "Daan Kets" <daan.kets@g...> wrote:
          > Jim
          >

          > I wouldn't ask for that - all these shell extensions (context
          handlers)
          > only make your system slower - the better way to do this would be
          > create an extra action for the .java file extension - (my optinion)
          >
          > Daan
        • Daan Kets
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2002
            Jim

            Implementing a shell context handler is somewhat different from a normal
            file extension handler. It involves implementing some shell interfaces.
            Adding a new action to a file type however, does not. Also, a shell
            context handler resides in system memory all the time. As a result, a
            context handler will slow down the system (read : will increase the time
            before a context menu is shown for a certain file type).

            Of course, there are shell extensions, and shell extensions... A lot of
            companies implemented their shell extensions in an incorrect way,
            slowing down the system a LOT (for example, Iomegaware). The sell
            extension of WinZip however is fast, and correct.

            What I meant to indicate however, is that a shell extension is not the
            correct way to do this, as there is a faster, more standard way to do
            this.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2002
              Jim,

              I don't have any intention in doing this at this time, I think the send item is sufficient and my time isn't best spent writing shell extensions.

              From: "weejim76" <weejim76@...>
              Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 05:27:09 -0000