Java IDEs

  • Fergus Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2005
      Yeah, the problem with IDEs written in Java is that they are astonishingly resource-hungry and remarkably slow.

      To be perfectly honest, it makes me wonder why I'm even developing in Java, given that most people don't even have it as part of their web browsers any more. :/

       - Fergus
      www.oolong.co.uk

      On 8 Jun 2005 09:53:26 -0000, gelide@yahoogroups.com <gelide@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      <!-- SpaceID=1705006905 loc=TM noad -->

      There are 5 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

            1. Re: Another lightweight native Java IDE (written in Delphi)
                 From: Ricardo Pereira <willcoxit@...>
            2. RES: [SPAM] - Re: Another lightweight native Java IDE (written in Delphi) - Email found in subject
                 From: Luiz Antonio Gomes Picanço <news@...>
            3. Re: Re: Thanks!
                 From: Mike < danzfreak@...>
            4. Re: Another lightweight native Java IDE (written in Delphi)
                 From: Michele Christian < mich10683@...>
            5. Re: Another lightweight native Java IDE (written in Delphi)
                 From: Pobzeb Armerding <pobzebarmerding@...>

      Message: 1
         Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:12:33 -0700 (PDT)
         From: Ricardo Pereira <willcoxit@... >
      Subject: Re: Another lightweight native Java IDE (written in Delphi)

      Hey Folks!

         I follow this list for a while and this is my very
      first post, so, I need to apologize for my bad
      english!.

         I tried GELIDE about six months ago... but because
      Microsof intensified the fiscalization over pirates
      copies of windows, I moved my operational system to
      LINUX, because I don't have money to buy a legal copy
      of Windows.. and linux is FREE.

         All my java projects worked very well in that
      plataform(Mandrake 10.1)... but not the same with the
      GEL IDE.

         So, if it was developed for JAVA why don't write it
      in JAVA??... and now I read about a new IDE ONLY for
      windows...

        I think that motto "Write Once Run EveryWhere" just
      apply not only for the code but in the tool that
      support this code too.

        Why focus this new tool in windows??

      --- qapla2004 < qapla@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I wanted to mention that we are building another
      > native Java IDE for
      > Windows.
      >
      > It's called IDX and can be found at
      > http://www.optistic.com
      >
      > Here is a screenshot:
      > http://optistic.com/images/idx_screen.gif
      >
      > IDX was inspired by the speed and simplicity of Gel
      > and adds many
      > other features such as real-time roundtrip
      > UML(class) diagrams and
      > much more.
      >
      > If you'd like to try it, you can download it from
      > http://www.optistic.com/index.php?id=16
      >
      > Best Regards,
      >
      > Anders

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/

      Message: 2
         Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:11:19 -0300
         From: Luiz Antonio Gomes Picanço < news@... >
      Subject: RES: [SPAM] - Re: Another lightweight native Java IDE (written in Delphi) - Email found in subject

      How about we develop a Open Source Java Native IDE in Delphi ???

      Let's create a group and develop it """

      ________________________________

      Luiz Antonio Gomes Picanço

      luiz.gomes@...

      Desenvolvimento

      Imago IT Solutions

      Tel.: (21) 4501-1000

      www.imago.com.br < http://www.imago.com.br>

      ________________________________

         Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 03:54:40 -0700
         From: Mike <danzfreak@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Thanks!

      i'm using gel ide and i have a problem compiling w/ it can anyone help?:D

      On 5/19/05, Anurag Setia <anuragsetia2000@...> wrote:

      > you have WHAT running ur programs...
      > what do u want to download...
      >
      > Anurag
      >
      > Mike <danzfreak@...> wrote:
      > I'm kinda new in programing. i have a w/ running my compiled programs
      > in java (jdk):D where can i download the right program for it?
      >

      >  Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partner online.

      Message: 4
         Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:14:36 -0700 (PDT)
         From: Michele Christian <mich10683@... >

      Sorry too for my bad english..
      I understand your point but I think the purpose Gel is
      written in Delphi (not Java) is because native IDE is
      much faster than Java-based IDE.
      If you're looking for an IDE based on Java, you can
      try Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) or netbeans, which run
      on Win32 or Linux.
      Or if you want to try lightweight Java text editor,
      try JEdit (www.jedit.org ) or Jext (www.jext.org)

      regards,
      Michele Christian

      --- Ricardo Pereira < willcoxit@...> wrote:

      > Hey Folks!
      >

      >    I follow this list for a while and this is my
      > very
      > first post, so, I need to apologize for my bad
      > english!.
      >
      >    I tried GELIDE about six months ago... but
      > because
      > Microsof intensified the fiscalization over pirates
      > copies of windows, I moved my operational system to
      > LINUX, because I don't have money to buy a legal
      > copy
      > of Windows.. and linux is FREE.
      >
      >    All my java projects worked very well in that
      > plataform(Mandrake 10.1)... but not the same with
      > the
      > GEL IDE.
      >
      >    So, if it was developed for JAVA why don't write
      > it
      > in JAVA??... and now I read about a new IDE ONLY for
      > windows...
      >
      >   I think that motto "Write Once Run EveryWhere"
      > just
      > apply not only for the code but in the tool that
      > support this code too.
      >
      >   Why focus this new tool in windows??
      >
      > --- qapla2004 < qapla@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I wanted to mention that we are building another
      > > native Java IDE for
      > > Windows.
      > >
      > > It's called IDX and can be found at
      > > http://www.optistic.com
      > >
      > > Here is a screenshot:
      > > http://optistic.com/images/idx_screen.gif
      > >
      > > IDX was inspired by the speed and simplicity of
      > Gel
      > > and adds many
      > > other features such as real-time roundtrip
      > > UML(class) diagrams and
      > > much more.
      > >
      > > If you'd like to try it, you can download it from
      > > http://www.optistic.com/index.php?id=16
      > >
      > > Best Regards,
      > >
      > > Anders

      > __________________________________
      > Discover Yahoo!
      > Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and
      > more. Check it out!
      > http://discover.yahoo.com/
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      regards,

      Michele Christian

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

      Message: 5
         Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:41:53 -0600
         From: Pobzeb Armerding <pobzebarmerding@... >

      I think that you have a very good point.  There is a "Run Everywhere"
      IDE available as I am sure most of you know.  The problem that IDE's
      written in Java seem to have is that they are very slow.  This is one of
      the major advantages to using Gel.  I am curious, what other language(s)
      exist that run on multiple platforms?  Or is the best alternative to
      just port an application to several different platforms?

      Pobzeb Armerding
      Vann's Inc.
      Software Engineer