Re: [gelide] Another lightweight native Java IDE (written in Delphi)

  • Pobzeb Armerding
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
      I think that you have a very good point. There is a "Run Everywhere"
      IDE available as I am sure most of you know. The problem that IDE's
      written in Java seem to have is that they are very slow. This is one of
      the major advantages to using Gel. I am curious, what other language(s)
      exist that run on multiple platforms? Or is the best alternative to
      just port an application to several different platforms?

      Pobzeb Armerding
      Vann's Inc.
      Software Engineer

      Ricardo Pereira wrote:

      > Hey Folks!
      >

      > I follow this list for a while and this is my very
      > first post, so, I need to apologize for my bad
      > english!.
      >
      > I tried GELIDE about six months ago... but because
      > Microsof intensified the fiscalization over pirates
      > copies of windows, I moved my operational system to
      > LINUX, because I don't have money to buy a legal copy
      > of Windows.. and linux is FREE.
      >
      > All my java projects worked very well in that
      > plataform(Mandrake 10.1)... but not the same with the
      > GEL IDE.
      >
      > So, if it was developed for JAVA why don't write it
      > in JAVA??... and now I read about a new IDE ONLY for
      > windows...
      >
      > I think that motto "Write Once Run EveryWhere" just
      > apply not only for the code but in the tool that
      > support this code too.
      >
      > Why focus this new tool in windows??
      >
      > --- qapla2004 <qapla@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I wanted to mention that we are building another
      > > native Java IDE for
      > > Windows.
      > >
      > > It's called IDX and can be found at
      > > http://www.optistic.com
      > >
      > > Here is a screenshot:
      > > http://optistic.com/images/idx_screen.gif
      > >
      > > IDX was inspired by the speed and simplicity of Gel
      > > and adds many
      > > other features such as real-time roundtrip
      > > UML(class) diagrams and
      > > much more.
      > >
      > > If you'd like to try it, you can download it from
      > > http://www.optistic.com/index.php?id=16
      > >
      > > Best Regards,
      > >
      > > Anders

    • Meller Meller
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
        Jow dudes,

        There are not many multi-platform languages. So if we want to write our own
        IDE that must run on multiple platforms, java is the most logic one.
        But if only the windows platform is necessary, we can write it in Delphi,
        C#, C++ or whatever.

      • Ricardo Pereira
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
          Hello Pobzeb,

          Unfortunately I have that to agree to you about the
          memory problems in IDES written in pure Java, but
          they had started to improve with the Tiger (JAVA 5.0).

          But, would not be this a question to improve in the
          futures versions of IDES like NetBeans and Eclipse? Or
          in the VM??

          My point is: Why try to invent the wheel again,
          when
          we have good free projects in pure java that they need
          improvements? All whe need is to check out and made
          our contributions.

          And about the other languages... if I will not be
          deceived, with Kylix its possible to write a program
          using clx components that run in both OS(Windows x
          Linux)... and theoretically, the Microsoft .NET has a
          techonology like JVM(an interpreter of bytecodes) that
          it would make possible do the same.

          So, when all the world talk about OpenSource
          Softwares and digital convergence (from the cellular
          devices and Palms to Wireless network) why do this
          kind of work? I mean, why create a tool with just one
          possibility, and why create all again?

          Regards,

          Ricardo

          wrote:

          > I think that you have a very good point. There is a
          > "Run Everywhere"
          > IDE available as I am sure most of you know. The
          > problem that IDE's
          > written in Java seem to have is that they are very
          > slow. This is one of
          > the major advantages to using Gel. I am curious,
          > what other language(s)
          > exist that run on multiple platforms? Or is the
          > best alternative to
          > just port an application to several different
          > platforms?
          >
          > Pobzeb Armerding
          > Vann's Inc.
          > Software Engineer
          >
          > Ricardo Pereira wrote:
          >

          > > Hey Folks!
          > >

          > > I follow this list for a while and this is my
          > very
          > > first post, so, I need to apologize for my bad
          > > english!.
          > >
          > > I tried GELIDE about six months ago... but
          > because
          > > Microsof intensified the fiscalization over
          > pirates
          > > copies of windows, I moved my operational system
          > > LINUX, because I don't have money to buy a legal
          > copy
          > > of Windows.. and linux is FREE.
          > >
          > > All my java projects worked very well in that
          > > plataform(Mandrake 10.1)... but not the same with
          > the
          > > GEL IDE.
          > >
          > > So, if it was developed for JAVA why don't
          > write it
          > > in JAVA??... and now I read about a new IDE ONLY
          > for
          > > windows...
          > >
          > > I think that motto "Write Once Run EveryWhere"
          > just
          > > apply not only for the code but in the tool that
          > > support this code too.
          > >
          > > Why focus this new tool in windows??
          > >
          > > --- qapla2004 <qapla@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hi everyone,
          > > >
          > > > I wanted to mention that we are building another
          > > > native Java IDE for
          > > > Windows.
          > > >
          > > > It's called IDX and can be found at
          > > > http://www.optistic.com
          > > >
          > > > Here is a screenshot:
          > > > http://optistic.com/images/idx_screen.gif
          > > >
          > > > IDX was inspired by the speed and simplicity of
          > Gel
          > > > and adds many
          > > > other features such as real-time roundtrip
          > > > UML(class) diagrams and
          > > > much more.
          > > >
          > > > If you'd like to try it, you can download it
          > from
          > > > http://www.optistic.com/index.php?id=16
          > > >
          > > > Best Regards,
          > > >
          > > > Anders

          > > __________________________________
          > > Discover Yahoo!
          > > Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and
          > more. Check it out!
          > > http://discover.yahoo.com/

          > Yahoo! Terms of

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Vicente
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
            Hi,

            my first post here (although I´ve been reading the list for a long
            time). I would go with the .NET platform. With Mono you should be able
            to have your app running on win and linux.

            And I think there´s a Delphi.NET done by Borland (although I would use
            C#, it´s so similar to Java...). Greetings!

            Vicente

            --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Pobzeb Armerding <pobzebarmerding@y...>

          • William Luitje
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
              At 08:41 AM 06/07/2005 -0600, you wrote:
              >I think that you have a very good point. There is a "Run Everywhere"
              >IDE available as I am sure most of you know. The problem that IDE's
              >written in Java seem to have is that they are very slow. This is one of
              >the major advantages to using Gel. I am curious, what other language(s)
              >exist that run on multiple platforms?

              www.python.org

              There are several good free IDEs: BoaConstructor (with GUI builder) and Dr.
              Python). It does not have corporate support as java enjoys from Sun but
              there has been an amazing amount of development work on it.

              There is also the Ruby language but it is not as well supported as Python.
              And tcl, which is a scripting language and not as powerful as Python.

              >Or is the best alternative to
              >just port an application to several different platforms?

              Unless you are writing commercial software, no.
            • Michele Christian
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
                Maybe Mono + GTK# ?? Those two language are available
                for Linux and Windows, also for MacOS.

                wrote:

                > I think that you have a very good point. There is a
                > "Run Everywhere"
                > IDE available as I am sure most of you know. The
                > problem that IDE's
                > written in Java seem to have is that they are very
                > slow. This is one of
                > the major advantages to using Gel. I am curious,
                > what other language(s)
                > exist that run on multiple platforms? Or is the
                > best alternative to
                > just port an application to several different
                > platforms?
                >
                > Pobzeb Armerding
                > Vann's Inc.
                > Software Engineer
                >
                > Ricardo Pereira wrote:
                >

                > > Hey Folks!
                > >

                > > I follow this list for a while and this is my
                > very
                > > first post, so, I need to apologize for my bad
                > > english!.
                > >
                > > I tried GELIDE about six months ago... but
                > because
                > > Microsof intensified the fiscalization over
                > pirates
                > > copies of windows, I moved my operational system
                > > LINUX, because I don't have money to buy a legal
                > copy
                > > of Windows.. and linux is FREE.
                > >
                > > All my java projects worked very well in that
                > > plataform(Mandrake 10.1)... but not the same with
                > the
                > > GEL IDE.
                > >
                > > So, if it was developed for JAVA why don't
                > write it
                > > in JAVA??... and now I read about a new IDE ONLY
                > for
                > > windows...
                > >
                > > I think that motto "Write Once Run EveryWhere"
                > just
                > > apply not only for the code but in the tool that
                > > support this code too.
                > >
                > > Why focus this new tool in windows??
                > >
                > > --- qapla2004 <qapla@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hi everyone,
                > > >
                > > > I wanted to mention that we are building another
                > > > native Java IDE for
                > > > Windows.
                > > >
                > > > It's called IDX and can be found at
                > > > http://www.optistic.com
                > > >
                > > > Here is a screenshot:
                > > > http://optistic.com/images/idx_screen.gif
                > > >
                > > > IDX was inspired by the speed and simplicity of
                > Gel
                > > > and adds many
                > > > other features such as real-time roundtrip
                > > > UML(class) diagrams and
                > > > much more.
                > > >
                > > > If you'd like to try it, you can download it
                > from
                > > > http://www.optistic.com/index.php?id=16
                > > >
                > > > Best Regards,
                > > >
                > > > Anders

                > > __________________________________
                > > Discover Yahoo!
                > > Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and
                > more. Check it out!
                > > http://discover.yahoo.com/

                > Yahoo! Terms of
                > >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                regards,

                Michele Christian

                __________________________________
                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
              • Meller Meller
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 8, 2005
                  I think that's a good idea but i've never developped in one of them....

                • Gerente@ViaBsb.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 8, 2005
                    Quoting Meller Meller <mellermeller@...>:

                    > Jow dudes,
                    >
                    > There are not many multi-platform languages. So if we want to write our own
                    > IDE that must run on multiple platforms, java is the most logic one.
                    > But if only the windows platform is necessary, we can write it in Delphi,
                    > C#, C++ or whatever.
                    >

                    >> From: Pobzeb Armerding <pobzebarmerding@...>
                    >> To: gelide@yahoogroups.com
                    >> Subject: Re: [gelide] Another lightweight native Java IDE (written in
                    >> Delphi)
                    >> Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:41:53 -0600
                    >>
                    >> I think that you have a very good point. There is a "Run Everywhere"
                    >> IDE available as I am sure most of you know. The problem that IDE's
                    >> written in Java seem to have is that they are very slow. This is one of
                    >> the major advantages to using Gel. I am curious, what other language(s)
                    >> exist that run on multiple platforms? Or is the best alternative to
                    >> just port an application to several different platforms?
                    >>
                    >> Pobzeb Armerding
                    >> Vann's Inc.
                    >> Software Engineer
                    >>
                    >> Ricardo Pereira wrote:
                    >>

                    >> > Hey Folks!
                    >> >

                    >> > I follow this list for a while and this is my very
                    >> > first post, so, I need to apologize for my bad
                    >> > english!.
                    >> >
                    >> > I tried GELIDE about six months ago... but because
                    >> > Microsof intensified the fiscalization over pirates
                    >> > copies of windows, I moved my operational system to
                    >> > LINUX, because I don't have money to buy a legal copy
                    >> > of Windows.. and linux is FREE.
                    >> >
                    >> > All my java projects worked very well in that
                    >> > plataform(Mandrake 10.1)... but not the same with the
                    >> > GEL IDE.
                    >> >
                    >> > So, if it was developed for JAVA why don't write it
                    >> > in JAVA??... and now I read about a new IDE ONLY for
                    >> > windows...
                    >> >
                    >> > I think that motto "Write Once Run EveryWhere" just
                    >> > apply not only for the code but in the tool that
                    >> > support this code too.
                    >> >
                    >> > Why focus this new tool in windows??

                    >> > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                    >> > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    I am starting with OO Modeling and programming.
                    I am studying design by contract, eiffel, agile modeling and extreme
                    programing.
                    I think this is a choice for the future and I am considering to make them
                    standart in my work.
                    I run a small firm of ISP and system develop with Linux.
                    If you think java is a good choice, maybe you might know
                    http://wwwcs.uni-paderborn.de/cs/fujaba/projects/reengineering/index.html.

                    I do not think that compatibility is so important, since the M$
                    software is not
                    compatible with anything else than the M$software.
                    Choose Linux and a good metodology, a good IDE and create for the language you
                    want.
                    I think the adequate technology is best than the most recent.

                    Pay a visit to eiffel.com and see the training page at
                    http://www.eiffel.com/developers/presentations/.

                    At http://www.eiffel.com/products/studio/feature_comp.html you see the
                    comparison between the payed and the free versions.

                    You can find Fujaba here:

                    http://wwwcs.uni-paderborn.de/cs/fujaba/downloads/plugins/index.html
                    http://wwwcs.uni-paderborn.de/cs/fujaba/downloads/packages/Fujaba_4/index.html
                    http://wwwcs.uni-paderborn.de/cs/fujaba/downloads/packages/Fujaba4Eclipse/index.html