Re: [gelide] Is gel under development?

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 9, 2005
      Roman Käppeler wrote:
      > Hi Gerald et. all,
      >

      >> It's a pity for Gel to come to an end. Personally, baring some
      >> (missing) advance features like incremental compile and refactoring,
      >> I thought Gel was one of the best and most lightweight IDE I have
      >> used, and I have recommended it to quite a few colleagues in the past.
      >
      > At this point, why open GEL now to an open source project??? Gerald, you
      > don't have the time develop it further more, but in this mailing list
      > some have been interested in doing the work. Maybe open it as a Delphi
      > or if yet started as a .NET-project...

      Nobody who expressed interest has actually stepped forward
      unfortunately. As mentioned in my previous e-mail, Gel depends on
      serveral commercial components to work, there is little point in
      throwing non-functioning code on Sourceforge hoping somebody picks it up.

      Gerald
    • Amish Shah
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 9, 2005
        Here's the list of files I had downloaded:

        eclipse-SDK-3.1M4-win32.zip
        emf-sdo-xsd-SDK-2.0.1.zip
        GEF-runtime-3.0.1.zip
        JEM-runtime-1.0.2.zip
        uml2-1.1M2.zip
        VE-runtime-1.0.2.zip
        wtp-1.0M2.zip

        All the file names begin with the sub-project name or
        they are part of. Please locate them and download them

        Use winzip or any other zip tool you use and extract
        all of them in a single folder.
        All of them will get extracted to proper location. All
        the zip files they extract to folder named eclipse.

        Move this folder to say C:

        Open the Environment variables setings (For NT/2K/Xp
        My Computer --> Right Click --> Properties -->
        Advanced --> Environment variables)
        For Win 95/98/98SE autoexec.bat
        Add following environment variables
        JAVA_HOME
        ECLIPSE_HOME
        assigning proper values.

        Most of them require J2SE 1.4 or higher. So, make sure
        to use the same. 1 best thing of eclipse is you can
        run just using J2RE 1.4 and does not require J2SE 1.4

        But if you want to run on Tomcat then it will prompt
        that it requires J2SE instead of J2RE for JSPs.

        Please let me know if you have any questions related
        to it. I had downloaded & setup 2 weeks back.

        If you are unable to locate to where are this files on
        server let me know. I'll check it out on website and
        let you know.

        === message truncated ===

      • Roman Käppeler
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 10, 2005
          Gerald Nunn wrote:

          > [... GEL as OpenSource-Project...]
          >
          > Nobody who expressed interest has actually stepped forward
          > unfortunately. As mentioned in my previous e-mail, Gel depends on
          > serveral commercial components to work, there is little point in
          > throwing non-functioning code on Sourceforge hoping somebody picks it up.

          Okay, I understand the problem!
          But isn't it possible to keep the current release (pre-built) on your
          Homepage and additionally put the "non-commercial parts" as an open
          source on your page, open for everyone? Maybe someone is able to
          (re-)build these components on his own!? I think, if the source is open
          to everyone, the project could go forth in another programming language,
          just like .NET (C#) where equivalent components probably could be found
          as open-source-components on the web. So the "old" commercial component
          could be replaced without lack of functionality...
        • superficodapaura
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 14, 2005
            > But isn't it possible to keep the current release (pre-built) on
            your
            > Homepage and additionally put the "non-commercial parts" as an open
            > source on your page, open for everyone? Maybe someone is able to
            > (re-)build these components on his own!? I think, if the source is
            open
            > to everyone, the project could go forth in another programming
            language,
            > just like .NET (C#) where equivalent components probably could be
            found
            > as open-source-components on the web. So the "old" commercial
            component
            > could be replaced without lack of functionality...

            If GEL will be Open Source, this grat IDE could be alive!
            Without updates it's the most useful IDE I try, better than NetBeans
            or Eclipse, because it's very fast and light, but you could not kill
            GEL waiting for a new update!

            The license things could be solved!

            Bye

            Davide
          • beansoftstudio
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 23, 2005
              Err, I think we shoud donation something to support him .... money
              or tech, unfortunately, I know little aboud Delphi, maybe I'll
              donate some $10 to him..
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 25, 2005
                No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I don't
                think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.

                Gerald

                beansoftstudio wrote:

                > Err, I think we shoud donation something to support him .... money
                > or tech, unfortunately, I know little aboud Delphi, maybe I'll
                > donate some $10 to him..
              • gabrieltss
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 2, 2005
                  Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel? I am sure
                  there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                  -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                  it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                  Linux. I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                  "windowisms" but I am sure something like that could be worked around.

                  --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                  > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I don't
                  > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                  > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                  >
                  > Gerald
                  >
                  > beansoftstudio wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Err, I think we shoud donation something to support him .... money
                  > > or tech, unfortunately, I know little aboud Delphi, maybe I'll
                  > > donate some $10 to him..
                • Juan Luis
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 6, 2005
                    Gerald has explained several times that Gel depends on commercial
                    components, and that is the reason he can't open the sources.

                    Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel? I am sure
                    there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                    -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                    it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                    Linux. I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                    "windowisms" but I am sure something like that could be worked around.

                    --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                    > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I don't
                    > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                    > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                    >
                    > Gerald
                    >
                    > beansoftstudio wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Err, I think we shoud donation something to support him .... money
                    > > or tech, unfortunately, I know little aboud Delphi, maybe I'll
                    > > donate some $10 to him..

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  • weejim76
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                      Gerald,

                      I sincerely hope you would reconsider the requests to open-source GEL.
                      It's a good application and would really be quite a pity to let all
                      your effort go wasted by killing GEL.

                      Please open-source GEL, take out all the commercial components if that
                      is required. At least give those people who wishes to breathe new life
                      into GEL some base code to jumpstart. I am sure a lot of people will
                      the thankful to you.

                      Regards,
                      Jim

                      --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, "gabrieltss" <rknechte@s...> wrote:

                      > Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel? I am sure
                      > there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                      > -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                      > it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                      > Linux. I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                      > "windowisms" but I am sure something like that could be worked around.
                      >

                      > --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                      > > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I
                      don't
                      > > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                      > > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                      > >
                      > > Gerald

                    • hurdleg
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005

                        Hello,

                        I think you’ve confused me with a *different* Gerald.

                        Gerald Nunn perhaps?

                        Cheers,

                        Gerry

                        .

                        Gerald C. Hurdle

                        Professor of Computer Studies

                        Algonquin College

                        (613) 727-4723 ext. 5942

                        fax: (613) 727-7695

                        I sincerely hope you would reconsider the requests to open-source GEL.
                        It's a good application and would really be quite a pity to let all
                        your effort go wasted by killing GEL.

                        Please open-source GEL, take out all the commercial components if that
                        is required. At least give those people who wishes to breathe new life
                        into GEL some base code to jumpstart. I am sure a lot of people will
                        the thankful to you.

                        Regards,
                        Jim

                        --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, "gabrieltss" <rknechte@s...> wrote:

                        > Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel?  I am sure
                        > there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                        > -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                        > it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                        > Linux.  I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                        > "windowisms" but  I am sure something like that could be worked around.
                        >

                        > --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                        > > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I
                        don't
                        > > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                        > > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                        > >
                        > > Gerald

                      • Anurag Setia
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005
                          Gerald,

                          Cant the development on GEL be continued ??

                          Anurag

                          weejim76 <weejim76@...> wrote:

                          Gerald,

                          I sincerely hope you would reconsider the requests to open-source GEL.
                          It's a good application and would really be quite a pity to let all
                          your effort go wasted by killing GEL.

                          Please open-source GEL, take out all the commercial components if that
                          is required. At least give those people who wishes to breathe new life
                          into GEL some base code to jumpstart. I am sure a lot of people will
                          the thankful to you.

                          Regards,
                          Jim

                          --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, "gabrieltss" <rknechte@s...> wrote:

                          > Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel?  I am sure
                          > there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                          > -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                          > it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                          > Linux.  I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                          > "windowisms" but  I am sure something like that could be worked around.
                          >

                          > --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                          > > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I
                          don't
                          > > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                          > > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                          > >
                          > > Gerald

                        • Cool Guy
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005
                            Guys,

                            I think GEL is the best example of a creative mind...
                            Lets not put Gerald on the front seat and interrogate,
                            let us wait for him to decide on what does he like to
                            with GEL, maybe it's best for him to sell it, he can
                            do anything with his program. The only thing we could
                            do is wait for him, while waiting we could try to
                            develop our own IDE.
                            Just an idea... am always full of it!:D

                            Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                            http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail