Re: [gelide] Is gel under development?

  • Andre Matheus
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4 4:36 AM
      I think this is the most important information about GEL.

      I really miss a clear statement about the status of Gel development in
      the Gel's site.

      The last change in the site was 24/02/2004 (more then a year ago!!!).

      I can quite understand Gerald been without time/wish to continue
      improving Gel, it it 100% up to him to decide what to do with it.

      The only think I would like to see from Gerald is an explanation in
      the site telling us the status of Gel right now, mainly to the new
      users. What is the situation right now? What are the future plans?
      Short term and long term plans? Can we wait from a new version of Gel
      or no?

      Best Regards...

      __
      André Matheus

      --
      __
      André Matheus
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 6 5:00 PM
        Andre (and all),

        Right now, no it is not under development. I've been busy with family
        and a new job and have not subsequently had any time to continue working
        on it. Additionally, the code is really in need of some major
        refactoring to go to the next level and I can't justify the time to do
        that for what is essentially a free project. Now if someone wants to
        send me $100K to work on it full time I'd be happy to do it... :)

        I am planning to try to get it up to JDK 5.0 specifications in terms of
        syntax highlighting and code completion in the next couple of months and
        then will end the project at that point. I have been looking for someone
        to take it over but no real bites so far. Unfortunately since Gel
        depends heavily on commercial components it's not just a matter of
        posting the code.

        I am studying for my PMP certification and unfortunately my test got
        pushed back to April 2nd so nothing new will appear until after that.
        Having said that, I'll make an effort to update the web pages this week
        with this info.

        Cheers,

        Gerald

        Andre Matheus wrote:
        > I think this is the most important information about GEL.
        >
        > I really miss a clear statement about the status of Gel development in
        > the Gel's site.
        >
        > The last change in the site was 24/02/2004 (more then a year ago!!!).
        >
        > I can quite understand Gerald been without time/wish to continue
        > improving Gel, it it 100% up to him to decide what to do with it.
        >
        > The only think I would like to see from Gerald is an explanation in
        > the site telling us the status of Gel right now, mainly to the new
        > users. What is the situation right now? What are the future plans?
        > Short term and long term plans? Can we wait from a new version of Gel
        > or no?
        >
        > Best Regards...
        >
        > __
        > André Matheus
        >

        > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 03:38:00 -0000, weejim76 <weejim76@...> wrote:
        >

        >>Gerald,
        >>
        >>Is Gel still under development?
        >>
        >>- Jim
        >>

        >>Yahoo! Groups Links

      • weejim76
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 7 10:17 PM
          It's a pity for Gel to come to an end. Personally, baring some
          (missing) advance features like incremental compile and refactoring,
          I thought Gel was one of the best and most lightweight IDE I have
          used, and I have recommended it to quite a few colleagues in the past.

          Guess it's bye Gel, hello Eclipse....

          - Jim

        • Andre Matheus
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 8 12:10 AM
            I have also recommended it to a lot of developers.

            I think I will start using Eclipse too...

            [OUT_OF_TOPIC]
            Does anybody know a good site with recommended plugins for web development?
            [/OUT_OF_TOPIC]

            Thank you very much and a special thanks to Gerald for all the work
            put on Gel during its life time...

            __
            André Matheus

            --
            __
            André Matheus
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 8 1:11 AM
              Hi Gerald et. all,

              It's a pity for Gel to come to an end. Personally, baring some
              (missing) advance features like incremental compile and refactoring,
              I thought Gel was one of the best and most lightweight IDE I have
              used, and I have recommended it to quite a few colleagues in the past.
              At this point, why open GEL now to an open source project??? Gerald, you don't have the time develop it further more, but in this mailing list some have been interested in doing the work. Maybe open it as a Delphi or if yet started as a .NET-project...
            • Amish Shah
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 8 6:31 PM
                Hi,

                Eclipse with the J2EE plugin does support Web
                development.

                I had wrote this a week back. Same is below.

                Checkout the new version of Eclipse 3.1. Eclipse has a
                sub-project for J2EE.

                You will need to download that zip file and its
                depedency files. All are available on eclipse.org
                web-site.
                In eclipse, all the depedent project you want to club
                with eclispe, you need to extract the zip files inside
                the same eclipse folder.

                You might end-up downloading 200MB or more. Finally
                you will see the J2EE perspective like IBM Websphere
                Studio Application developer(IBM WSAD).

                Only thing it lacks is a server.

                You can hook up Tomcat 4.0 or 5.0 or 5.5 to it or any
                other server you have with you.

                It allows you to debug similar to debugging with IBM
                WSAD.

                Eclipse and its sub-project are open source and are
                free under GPL or LGPL license.

                It has all the features you need in-fact some are
                better then the IBM WSAD 5.1. It lacks JSP Designer
                like IBM WSAD. But thats fine enough, since IBM WSAD
                takes too much time and memory if you want to use
                designer to develop the jsp in it.

                It's much better in terms of basic features compared
                to IBM WSAD. Only thing it lacks is server and JSP
                designer.

                Regards,
                Amish Shah

                ____________________________________
                Regards
                Amish Shah
                ____________________________________

                __________________________________
                Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
              • Andre Matheus
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 9 7:19 AM
                  Yes, I have seen the post, and I did exactly that, but after
                  installing everything, when I add a J2EE project, when I click on the
                  servlets item it throws an error: "An error has occurred. See error
                  log for more details."

                  I can start searching for the error logging, sure, but I would like to
                  be sure I have installed everything before...

                  I like the plugins approach, but I think that there should be a better
                  way of packing the needed plugins together...

                  This is why I asked if somebody knows an up to date site with a list
                  of plugins to be installed.

                  Anyway, thank you very much for the replay.

                  __
                  André Matheus

                  On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:31:32 -0800 (PST), Amish Shah <abs2310@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > --- Andre Matheus <andre.matheus@...> wrote:
                  > > I have also recommended it to a lot of developers.
                  > >
                  > > I think I will start using Eclipse too...
                  > >
                  > > [OUT_OF_TOPIC]
                  > > Does anybody know a good site with recommended
                  > > plugins for web development?
                  > > [/OUT_OF_TOPIC]
                  > >
                  > > Thank you very much and a special thanks to Gerald
                  > > for all the work
                  > > put on Gel during its life time...
                  > >
                  > > __
                  > > André Matheus
                  > >
                  > > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:17:30 -0000, weejim76
                  > > <weejim76@...> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > It's a pity for Gel to come to an end. Personally,
                  > > baring some
                  > > > (missing) advance features like incremental
                  > > compile and refactoring,
                  > > > I thought Gel was one of the best and most
                  > > lightweight IDE I have
                  > > > used, and I have recommended it to quite a few

                  __
                  André Matheus
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 9 4:14 PM
                    Roman Käppeler wrote:
                    > Hi Gerald et. all,
                    >

                    >> It's a pity for Gel to come to an end. Personally, baring some
                    >> (missing) advance features like incremental compile and refactoring,
                    >> I thought Gel was one of the best and most lightweight IDE I have
                    >> used, and I have recommended it to quite a few colleagues in the past.
                    >
                    > At this point, why open GEL now to an open source project??? Gerald, you
                    > don't have the time develop it further more, but in this mailing list
                    > some have been interested in doing the work. Maybe open it as a Delphi
                    > or if yet started as a .NET-project...

                    Nobody who expressed interest has actually stepped forward
                    unfortunately. As mentioned in my previous e-mail, Gel depends on
                    serveral commercial components to work, there is little point in
                    throwing non-functioning code on Sourceforge hoping somebody picks it up.

                    Gerald
                  • Amish Shah
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 9 5:54 PM
                      Here's the list of files I had downloaded:

                      eclipse-SDK-3.1M4-win32.zip
                      emf-sdo-xsd-SDK-2.0.1.zip
                      GEF-runtime-3.0.1.zip
                      JEM-runtime-1.0.2.zip
                      uml2-1.1M2.zip
                      VE-runtime-1.0.2.zip
                      wtp-1.0M2.zip

                      All the file names begin with the sub-project name or
                      they are part of. Please locate them and download them

                      Use winzip or any other zip tool you use and extract
                      all of them in a single folder.
                      All of them will get extracted to proper location. All
                      the zip files they extract to folder named eclipse.

                      Move this folder to say C:

                      Open the Environment variables setings (For NT/2K/Xp
                      My Computer --> Right Click --> Properties -->
                      Advanced --> Environment variables)
                      For Win 95/98/98SE autoexec.bat
                      Add following environment variables
                      JAVA_HOME
                      ECLIPSE_HOME
                      assigning proper values.

                      Most of them require J2SE 1.4 or higher. So, make sure
                      to use the same. 1 best thing of eclipse is you can
                      run just using J2RE 1.4 and does not require J2SE 1.4

                      But if you want to run on Tomcat then it will prompt
                      that it requires J2SE instead of J2RE for JSPs.

                      Please let me know if you have any questions related
                      to it. I had downloaded & setup 2 weeks back.

                      If you are unable to locate to where are this files on
                      server let me know. I'll check it out on website and
                      let you know.

                      === message truncated ===

                    • Roman Käppeler
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 10 1:39 AM
                        Gerald Nunn wrote:

                        > [... GEL as OpenSource-Project...]
                        >
                        > Nobody who expressed interest has actually stepped forward
                        > unfortunately. As mentioned in my previous e-mail, Gel depends on
                        > serveral commercial components to work, there is little point in
                        > throwing non-functioning code on Sourceforge hoping somebody picks it up.

                        Okay, I understand the problem!
                        But isn't it possible to keep the current release (pre-built) on your
                        Homepage and additionally put the "non-commercial parts" as an open
                        source on your page, open for everyone? Maybe someone is able to
                        (re-)build these components on his own!? I think, if the source is open
                        to everyone, the project could go forth in another programming language,
                        just like .NET (C#) where equivalent components probably could be found
                        as open-source-components on the web. So the "old" commercial component
                        could be replaced without lack of functionality...
                      • superficodapaura
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 14 5:08 AM
                          > But isn't it possible to keep the current release (pre-built) on
                          your
                          > Homepage and additionally put the "non-commercial parts" as an open
                          > source on your page, open for everyone? Maybe someone is able to
                          > (re-)build these components on his own!? I think, if the source is
                          open
                          > to everyone, the project could go forth in another programming
                          language,
                          > just like .NET (C#) where equivalent components probably could be
                          found
                          > as open-source-components on the web. So the "old" commercial
                          component
                          > could be replaced without lack of functionality...

                          If GEL will be Open Source, this grat IDE could be alive!
                          Without updates it's the most useful IDE I try, better than NetBeans
                          or Eclipse, because it's very fast and light, but you could not kill
                          GEL waiting for a new update!

                          The license things could be solved!

                          Bye

                          Davide
                        • beansoftstudio
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 23 2:04 AM
                            Err, I think we shoud donation something to support him .... money
                            or tech, unfortunately, I know little aboud Delphi, maybe I'll
                            donate some $10 to him..
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 25 6:04 PM
                              No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I don't
                              think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                              links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.

                              Gerald

                              beansoftstudio wrote:

                              > Err, I think we shoud donation something to support him .... money
                              > or tech, unfortunately, I know little aboud Delphi, maybe I'll
                              > donate some $10 to him..
                            • gabrieltss
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 2, 2005
                                Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel? I am sure
                                there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                                -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                                it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                                Linux. I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                                "windowisms" but I am sure something like that could be worked around.

                                --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                                > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I don't
                                > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                                > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                                >
                                > Gerald
                                >
                                > beansoftstudio wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Err, I think we shoud donation something to support him .... money
                                > > or tech, unfortunately, I know little aboud Delphi, maybe I'll
                                > > donate some $10 to him..
                              • Juan Luis
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 6, 2005
                                  Gerald has explained several times that Gel depends on commercial
                                  components, and that is the reason he can't open the sources.

                                  Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel? I am sure
                                  there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                                  -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                                  it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                                  Linux. I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                                  "windowisms" but I am sure something like that could be worked around.

                                  --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                                  > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I don't
                                  > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                                  > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                                  >
                                  > Gerald
                                  >
                                  > beansoftstudio wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Err, I think we shoud donation something to support him .... money
                                  > > or tech, unfortunately, I know little aboud Delphi, maybe I'll
                                  > > donate some $10 to him..

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                • weejim76
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                    Gerald,

                                    I sincerely hope you would reconsider the requests to open-source GEL.
                                    It's a good application and would really be quite a pity to let all
                                    your effort go wasted by killing GEL.

                                    Please open-source GEL, take out all the commercial components if that
                                    is required. At least give those people who wishes to breathe new life
                                    into GEL some base code to jumpstart. I am sure a lot of people will
                                    the thankful to you.

                                    Regards,
                                    Jim

                                    --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, "gabrieltss" <rknechte@s...> wrote:

                                    > Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel? I am sure
                                    > there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                                    > -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                                    > it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                                    > Linux. I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                                    > "windowisms" but I am sure something like that could be worked around.
                                    >

                                    > --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                                    > > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I
                                    don't
                                    > > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                                    > > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                                    > >
                                    > > Gerald

                                  • hurdleg
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005

                                      Hello,

                                      I think you’ve confused me with a *different* Gerald.

                                      Gerald Nunn perhaps?

                                      Cheers,

                                      Gerry

                                      .

                                      Gerald C. Hurdle

                                      Professor of Computer Studies

                                      Algonquin College

                                      (613) 727-4723 ext. 5942

                                      fax: (613) 727-7695

                                      I sincerely hope you would reconsider the requests to open-source GEL.
                                      It's a good application and would really be quite a pity to let all
                                      your effort go wasted by killing GEL.

                                      Please open-source GEL, take out all the commercial components if that
                                      is required. At least give those people who wishes to breathe new life
                                      into GEL some base code to jumpstart. I am sure a lot of people will
                                      the thankful to you.

                                      Regards,
                                      Jim

                                      --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, "gabrieltss" <rknechte@s...> wrote:

                                      > Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel?  I am sure
                                      > there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                                      > -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                                      > it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                                      > Linux.  I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                                      > "windowisms" but  I am sure something like that could be worked around.
                                      >

                                      > --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                                      > > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I
                                      don't
                                      > > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                                      > > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                                      > >
                                      > > Gerald

                                    • Anurag Setia
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005
                                        Gerald,

                                        Cant the development on GEL be continued ??

                                        Anurag

                                        weejim76 <weejim76@...> wrote:

                                        Gerald,

                                        I sincerely hope you would reconsider the requests to open-source GEL.
                                        It's a good application and would really be quite a pity to let all
                                        your effort go wasted by killing GEL.

                                        Please open-source GEL, take out all the commercial components if that
                                        is required. At least give those people who wishes to breathe new life
                                        into GEL some base code to jumpstart. I am sure a lot of people will
                                        the thankful to you.

                                        Regards,
                                        Jim

                                        --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, "gabrieltss" <rknechte@s...> wrote:

                                        > Is there any chance you might consider Open Sourceing Gel?  I am sure
                                        > there are some of us out here that know some Delphi. I myself would
                                        > -love- to port Gel to Kylix so it could be run native under Linux. If
                                        > it was ported to a CLX app it could the nbe run under Windows or
                                        > Linux.  I know you have mentioned at one time about using some
                                        > "windowisms" but  I am sure something like that could be worked around.
                                        >

                                        > --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Nunn <gnunn@g...> wrote:
                                        > > No more donations please, since development has stopped for now I
                                        don't
                                        > > think it's fair to take them in anymore. I thought I had removed the
                                        > > links but I see they are still up, I'll take care of that tomorrow.
                                        > >
                                        > > Gerald

                                      • Cool Guy
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005
                                          Guys,

                                          I think GEL is the best example of a creative mind...
                                          Lets not put Gerald on the front seat and interrogate,
                                          let us wait for him to decide on what does he like to
                                          with GEL, maybe it's best for him to sell it, he can
                                          do anything with his program. The only thing we could
                                          do is wait for him, while waiting we could try to
                                          develop our own IDE.
                                          Just an idea... am always full of it!:D

                                          Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                                          http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail