new to Gel

  • Ivan Vecanski
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
      Great job!

      I've been looking for a good Win based light weight Java IDE for a
      long time and it seems this is it. It's even beyond my expectations. I
      installed it today and am playing around, imported some big projects,
      and handles them with ease. I'm quite impressed.

      A bug I noticed:

      After the installation (Win ME) the SendTo link in the Win context
      menu was searching for GelGel.exe

      Some simple (IMHO) enhancements that I think could be helpfull:

      - When many files are open, it would be usefull to be able to quickly
      go to a desired file (instead of ctrl-tabbing through the whole list
      or clicking the arrows on the right). Maybe a solution could be to
      organize the open file tabs as Jbuilder (in several rows), or maybe a
      list of open files could be accessed through a menu...

      - Bookmarks on lines (across files) would also be very helpfull (like
      Ctrl-Shift-<#> in Jbuilder).

      If there is a specific area you need help testing, I would be glad to
      help. I'm running on Win ME and NT4.

      Once again, congratulations for a great job!

      Regards,

      Ivan

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
        Iavn,

        Thanks, at work I have a project with thousands of files so it gets tested
        quite well in regards to dealing with huge projects.

        > After the installation (Win ME) the SendTo link in the Win context
        > menu was searching for GelGel.exe

        Thanks, I will check that out.

        > - When many files are open, it would be usefull to be able to quickly
        > go to a desired file (instead of ctrl-tabbing through the whole list
        > or clicking the arrows on the right). Maybe a solution could be to
        > organize the open file tabs as Jbuilder (in several rows), or maybe a
        > list of open files could be accessed through a menu...

        You can do that now, go to Options|Editor and turn on the multiline tabs
        option.

        > - Bookmarks on lines (across files) would also be very helpfull (like
        > Ctrl-Shift-<#> in Jbuilder).

        Bookmarks are also supported as well, it's the same keystroke as JBuilder
        <Ctrl><Shift>#. If the file is in a project, the bookmarks are persisted
        between sessions.

        Gerald
      • Ivan Vecanski
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
          Hi Gerald,

          On 02 March 2002 at 13:25:39 GMT -0500 (which was 18:25 where I live) Gerald Nunn
          wrote:

          >> - When many files are open, it would be usefull to be able to quickly
          >> go to a desired file (instead of ctrl-tabbing through the whole list
          >> or clicking the arrows on the right). Maybe a solution could be to
          >> organize the open file tabs as Jbuilder (in several rows), or maybe a
          >> list of open files could be accessed through a menu...

          GN> You can do that now, go to Options|Editor and turn on the multiline tabs
          GN> option.

          Great! BTW, is there an option for this in Delphi?

          >> - Bookmarks on lines (across files) would also be very helpfull (like
          >> Ctrl-Shift-<#> in Jbuilder).

          GN> Bookmarks are also supported as well, it's the same keystroke as JBuilder
          GN> <Ctrl><Shift>#. If the file is in a project, the bookmarks are persisted
          GN> between sessions.

          As I could see from the jde file, bookmarks are file based.
          Is there a way I can "quick jump" to a bookmark in a different file?

          When I minimize Gel it doesn't minimize completely to the task bar,
          instead it creates one of those 'title bar icons', like when you
          minimize a window in an MDI application. Bug or feature? It can be
          annoying when Gel is minimized and the user wants to reach it through
          ALT-TAB or the task bar.

          Regards,

          Ivan

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
            Ivan,

            Download and install the GExperts add-in for Delphi at
            http://www.gexperts.org

            > As I could see from the jde file, bookmarks are file based.
            > Is there a way I can "quick jump" to a bookmark in a different file?

            How would the interface for this to work? Every file could have a bookmark
            #1, how would it know what file to jump to?

            > When I minimize Gel it doesn't minimize completely to the task bar,
            > instead it creates one of those 'title bar icons', like when you
            > minimize a window in an MDI application. Bug or feature? It can be
            > annoying when Gel is minimized and the user wants to reach it through
            > ALT-TAB or the task bar.

            Bug, will be fixed in the next version, thanks.

            Gerald
          • Ivan Vecanski
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
              Hi Gerald,

              On 02 March 2002 at 18:07:20 GMT -0500 (which was 23:07 where I live) Gerald Nunn
              wrote:

              >> As I could see from the jde file, bookmarks are file based.
              >> Is there a way I can "quick jump" to a bookmark in a different file?

              GN> How would the interface for this to work? Every file could have a bookmark
              GN> #1, how would it know what file to jump to?

              I guess the only solution would be to have bookmarks which would be
              unique in a project, as opposed to a file. Then, when you choose,
              let's say #1, you "jump" to the location in the file where that
              bookmark is. Delphi has bookmarks on a file level, JBuilder on a
              project level, which is probably due to the nature of languages. In my
              opinion, when developing in Java the user often has to jump from a
              bookmark in one file to a bookmark in another. Also, if you have 5
              bookmarks in file A, 5 in B, 5 in C, you will loose track of them, so
              it's probably reasonable to have them on a project level.

              Anyway, I don't think this is a very important issue. So many things
              in Gel work perfect, so please don't bother to much.

              Regards,

              Ivan