Re: GEL for Linux

  • ben_ata
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, "Cord Schneider" <pt2tqsyc0z001@s...>
      wrote:

      > Gerald has done a fantastic job on Gel
      I completely agree.

      > thirdly, Gel is a freeware closed-source project written and
      > maintained entirely by Gerald Nunn.

      This - sadly - is the problem. It seems that Gerald does not have
      enough time to support this any more (which is perfectly allright -
      it's his decision).

      > this in turn would mean that large portions of Gel would have to
      > be rewritten (either in Kylix, or Free Pascal using the
      > incomplete and non-mature Lazarus code set) to support these
      > changed/new components. sure, it may not be
      > "hard work" but i am sure it would take more time and
      > effort than Gerald is willing to invest.
      Again this is perfectly allright, but if GEL was OpenSource then other
      people could start digging into the problems of porting this to
      FreePascal...

      Cheers
      Thomas