RE: [gelide] GEL alternatives?

  • Robinson ceng
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2004
      You can use NetBeans.. is opensource editor for Java
      from Sun.. is cool.. you can download it in
      www.netbeans.org.

      --- Fl�vio Etrusco <Flavio.Etrusco@...> wrote:

      > > it is my understanding that Gel is no longer in
      > active development.
      > > Not being an open source project it's unlikely
      > that it will be
      > > developed anymore by someone other than its
      > original author.
      >
      > It seemed clear to me that Gerald is not contrary to
      > making Gel opensource or transferring development to
      > someone else. It's just that this some guy needs to
      > have (i.e. bought) some proprietary component he
      > uses in Gel (or to have big balls to manually port
      > the code and dfms to free libraries :P)
      >
      > I would volunteer if my free time wasn't already "a
      > bit too small" ;)
      > Or :(
      >
      > > To the point: are there any alternatives to GEL
      > with the same feature
      > > set?
      > Unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone.
      > I never tried the JCreator Pro version, but the LE
      > version really sucks.
      > And personally I don't see any reason to feel much
      > unconfortable with the situation of Gel ;)
      >
      > -Fl�vio
      >

      > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/ms-tnef
      name=winmail.dat

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Yashpal
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 31, 2004
        HI..anybody tried Eclipse...if you have 512MB, and
        processor more that 1G faster, it's the best choice.

        --- Fl�vio Etrusco <Flavio.Etrusco@...> wrote:

        > > it is my understanding that Gel is no longer in
        > active development.
        > > Not being an open source project it's unlikely
        > that it will be
        > > developed anymore by someone other than its
        > original author.
        >
        > It seemed clear to me that Gerald is not contrary to
        > making Gel opensource or transferring development to
        > someone else. It's just that this some guy needs to
        > have (i.e. bought) some proprietary component he
        > uses in Gel (or to have big balls to manually port
        > the code and dfms to free libraries :P)
        >
        > I would volunteer if my free time wasn't already "a
        > bit too small" ;)
        > Or :(
        >
        > > To the point: are there any alternatives to GEL
        > with the same feature
        > > set?
        > Unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone.
        > I never tried the JCreator Pro version, but the LE
        > version really sucks.
        > And personally I don't see any reason to feel much
        > unconfortable with the situation of Gel ;)
        >
        > -Fl�vio
        >

        > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/ms-tnef
        name=winmail.dat

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Karl Computer
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
          Hello All,

          I'm Student in Germany working with Gel. And i would like to know if
          somebody could tell me the Names of the Commercial Components used in Gel. I
          want to look for alternatives off this Components. So an OpenSource Port of
          Gel may be possible.

          Best Regards,

          René L.

          >>Daniel Tio wrote:
          >>
          >>>Hi,
          >>>
          >>>it is my understanding that Gel is no longer in active development.
          >>>Not being an open source project it's unlikely that it will be
          >>>developed anymore by someone other than its original author.
          >>>
          >>>The problem is that I feel a bit unconfortable using an IDE
          >>that seems
          >>>to have come to the end of its lifecycle, but I still love
          >>the features
          >>>that made me use GEL in the first place, namely: it's fast,
          >>it's free
          >>>(gratis) and it's a native IDE.
          >>>
          >>>To the point: are there any alternatives to GEL with the
          >>same feature
          >>>set?
          >>>
          >>>I wouldn't like to switch back to JBuilder, too heavy for my taste :)
          >>>
          >>>Regards,
          >>>
          >>>-- Dani

          ____________
          Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
          Version: AVK 15.0.734 from 30.10.2004
          Virus news: www.antiviruslab.com

          ____________
          Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
          Version: AVK 15.0.734 from 30.10.2004
          Virus news: www.antiviruslab.com

          ____________
          Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
          Version: AVK 15.0.734 from 30.10.2004
          Virus news: www.antiviruslab.com
        • Brad Clarke
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
            --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Robinson ceng <robinson_ceng@y...>
            wrote:

            > You can use NetBeans.. is opensource editor for Java
            > from Sun.. is cool.. you can download it in
            > www.netbeans.org.
            NetBeans is also a heavy IDE IMHO.

            I only use it for GUI development. For everything else I use Gel.

            I have also used the previous version of JCreator Pro, and it is a
            capable IDE for non-GUI tasks.
          • Rammyres jose Oliveira Pereira
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
              The component list of some things is in the "about"
              but i guess the default components such as buttons,
              forms (frames as well), textboxes and other stuff come
              from the delphi distributions. Using Jedi or some
              other opensourced (mozilla, gpl or lgpl) library will
              solve a lot of things.

              ---------------------------------

              ____________
              Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
              Version: AVK 15.0.734 from 30.10.2004
              Virus news: www.antiviruslab.com

              ____________
              Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
              Version: AVK 15.0.734 from 30.10.2004
              Virus news: www.antiviruslab.com

              ____________
              Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
              Version: AVK 15.0.734 from 30.10.2004
              Virus news: www.antiviruslab.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              Get unlimited calls to

              U.S./Canada

              Terms of Service.

              =====

              "Never trust a computer you can't trow out a window" - Steve Wozniak

              Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora! http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/
            • Fernando Ortigosa
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
                You could also use Eclipse, it is a bit weird at install time (It has
                soo many plugins) but it is somewhat lighter than NetBeans (IMHO) and
                has lots of out-of-the-box capabilities (not as many as NetBeans, but
                it has tons of good plugins for everything).

                Greets.
              • ben_ata
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
                  --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, Rammyres jose Oliveira Pereira
                  <thesecretbr@y...> wrote:

                  > The component list of some things is in the "about"
                  > but i guess the default components such as buttons,
                  > forms (frames as well), textboxes and other stuff come
                  > from the delphi distributions. Using Jedi or some
                  > other opensourced (mozilla, gpl or lgpl) library will
                  > solve a lot of things.

                  Well, the Lazarus project which is based on free pascal looks very
                  promising as an alternative to Delphi:

                  http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net
                  http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/
                  http://www.freepascal.org

                  that would have the added value of supporting multiple platform (much
                  better then Delphi does)

                  Thomas