Gel and Linux

  • Francisco Ferreira
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
      the Gel Java IDE is only for the Windows? In case that it is not they
      can indicate me one link for Gel for the Linux
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
        Francisco Ferreira wrote:

        > the Gel Java IDE is only for the Windows? In case that it is not they
        > can indicate me one link for Gel for the Linux

        Gel is only for Windows, no Linux version exists and none is planned.

        Gerald
      • Alessandro Borges
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
          Francisco,

          for Linux there are several Java  IDE available.
          • NetBeans 4.0 (full)
          • Borland JBuilder X Personal (not for J2EE develop.)
          • Oracle JDeveloper 10g (powerful !! Free for not  commercial use);
          • Eclipse

          Alessandro

          Gerald Nunn <gnunn@...> wrote:

          Francisco Ferreira wrote:

          > the Gel Java IDE is only for the Windows?  In case that it is not they
          > can indicate me one link for Gel for the Linux

          Gel is only for Windows, no Linux version exists and none is planned.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Daniel Ribeiro Gomes
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
            Alessandro,

            I agree with you about that, but none of them are "lightweight
            tools", like Gel. I don't know either if such tool is available for
            Linux platform. Because of that, in Linux I still prefer VI and Emacs.

            Thanks,

            Daniel

            On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:31:43 -0300 (ART), Alessandro Borges
            <alessandroborges@...> wrote:

            > Francisco,
            >
            > for Linux there are several Java IDE available.
            > NetBeans 4.0 (full)
            > Borland JBuilder X Personal (not for J2EE develop.)
            > Oracle JDeveloper 10g (powerful !! Free for not commercial use);
            > Eclipse
            >
            > Alessandro
            >

            > Gerald Nunn <gnunn@...> wrote:
            >
            > Francisco Ferreira wrote:
            > >
            > > the Gel Java IDE is only for the Windows? In case that it is not they
            > > can indicate me one link for Gel for the Linux
            >
            > Gel is only for Windows, no Linux version exists and none is planned.

            > http://mail.yahoo.com
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Daniel Ribeiro Gomes
            daniel.r.gomes@...
          • Frédéric Besnard
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
              there exists other free IDE not as lightweight as Gel, but also not as big as netbeans or eclipse:
              schmortopf : http://www.snowraver.org/java/Schmortopf/index.htm
              jGrasp: http://www.eng.auburn.edu/grasp/
              bluej: http://www.bluej.org/

              I once used to use Gel, but as far as I'm teaching java, I want to be able to use J2SE 1.5.
              To my knowing - and for the moment -, schmortopf is the only one (with netbeans) that has such capability.
              All of these IDE are written in java, so are available under linux platforms.

              -- Frederic

              Gerald Nunn <gnunn@...> wrote:

              Francisco Ferreira wrote:

              the Gel Java IDE is only for the Windows?  In case that it is not they
              can indicate me one link for Gel for the Linux

              Gel is only for Windows, no Linux version exists and none is planned.

              http://mail.yahoo.com

               Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              _____________________________________________________________________ Envie de discuter en "live" avec vos amis ? T�l�charger MSN Messenger http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/m la 1�re messagerie instantan�e de France
            • anand raj
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
                wrote:

                > Alessandro,
                >
                > I agree with you about that, but none of them are
                > "lightweight
                > tools", like Gel. I don't know either if such tool
                > is available for
                > Linux platform. Because of that, in Linux I still
                > prefer VI and Emacs.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Daniel
                >
                > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:31:43 -0300 (ART), Alessandro
                > Borges
                > <alessandroborges@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Francisco,
                > >
                > > for Linux there are several Java IDE available.
                > > NetBeans 4.0 (full)
                > > Borland JBuilder X Personal (not for J2EE
                > develop.)
                > > Oracle JDeveloper 10g (powerful !! Free for not
                > commercial use);
                > > Eclipse
                > >
                > > Alessandro
                > >

                > > Gerald Nunn <gnunn@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Francisco Ferreira wrote:
                > > >
                > > > the Gel Java IDE is only for the Windows? In
                > case that it is not they
                > > > can indicate me one link for Gel for the Linux
                > >
                > > Gel is only for Windows, no Linux version exists
                > and none is planned.
                > >
                > > Gerald

                > protection around
                > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                > >
                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > Terms of Service.
                >

                > --
                > Daniel Ribeiro Gomes
                > daniel.r.gomes@...

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Emerson Muniz
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Alessandro,

                  You can use the NEdit on Linux http://www.nedit.org/

                  Emerson Muniz
                  Brazil

                  wrote:

                  > Francisco,
                  >
                  > for Linux there are several Java IDE available.
                  > NetBeans 4.0 (full)
                  > Borland JBuilder X Personal (not for J2EE develop.)
                  > Oracle JDeveloper 10g (powerful !! Free for not commercial use);
                  > Eclipse
                  >
                  > Alessandro
                  >

                  > Gerald Nunn wrote:
                  >
                  > Francisco Ferreira wrote:
                  > >
                  > > the Gel Java IDE is only for the Windows? In case that it is not they
                  > > can indicate me one link for Gel for the Linux
                  >
                  > Gel is only for Windows, no Linux version exists and none is planned.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Daniel Ribeiro Gomes
                  daniel.r.gomes@...

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/5cFolB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Emerson Muniz
                  Nova Andradina - MS - Brasil

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Rammyres jose Oliveira Pereira
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
                    You can use either Anjuta (well it's preffered by C/C++ developers) 'cause it support a lot of languages (including java, pascal, perl, python, etc).

                    wrote:

                    > Francisco,
                    >
                    > for Linux there are several Java IDE available.
                    > NetBeans 4.0 (full)
                    > Borland JBuilder X Personal (not for J2EE develop.)
                    > Oracle JDeveloper 10g (powerful !! Free for not commercial use);
                    > Eclipse
                    >
                    > Alessandro
                    >

                    > Gerald Nunn wrote:
                    >
                    > Francisco Ferreira wrote:
                    > >
                    > > the Gel Java IDE is only for the Windows? In case that it is not they
                    > > can indicate me one link for Gel for the Linux
                    >
                    > Gel is only for Windows, no Linux version exists and none is planned.

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Daniel Ribeiro Gomes
                    daniel.r.gomes@...

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/5cFolB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Emerson Muniz
                    Nova Andradina - MS - Brasil

                    Do you Yahoo!?

                    "Never trust a computer you can't trow out a window" - Steve Wozniak

                    Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora!
                  • Alessandro Borges
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004

                      Hi, Daniel

                      Yes, those IDEs are heavy weight, i.e,  minimum hardware is 256MB and  500MHz CPU.  BUT all then are Linux ready. I use then on a Debian/Kurumin distro in a very stupid way : JDeveloper for my job, Eclipse for college projects, and JBuilder for my personal projects ( dah !!)

                      I really   miss a lightweight Java IDE for Linux, as GEL . But there is a lot of good tips just after your post. Thank you.

                      P.S. On  Linux those IDE starts faster then Win;
                      Alessandro

                      Gerald Nunn <gnunn@...> wrote:

                      Francisco Ferreira wrote:

                      the Gel Java IDE is only for the Windows?  In case that it is not they
                      can indicate me one link for Gel for the Linux

                      Gel is only for Windows, no Linux version exists and none is planned.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                       Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      _____________________________________________________________________ Envie de discuter en "live" avec vos amis ? Télécharger MSN Messenger http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/m la 1ère messagerie instantanée de France

                      Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora!

                    • William Luitje
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
                        There is also www.jedit.com, which looks attractive, tho I have not had the
                        need to try it. Gel still does everything I need and should be faster than
                        a Java implementation.