New version

  • Marlon Candido Guerios
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2003
      Hey Gerald...

      Are you working on a new version of Gel? Which are the new features...? When?

      Marlon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2003
        I am planning on a new release for next weekend, no major new features just bug fixes.

        Gerald

      • Peich
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
          I know that Gerald is very busy with real life. And i know that he's not planning to publich GEL source code. But some time ago, in this list, there was a conversation about creating a new version of Gel, maybe programmed in .NET.

          That version could even be run on windows usign mono...

          Gerald, it would be possible to release some part of GEL code to help that new development? I know that some part of the code are propietary, but i think that a conversion from delphi to .Net would be possible from the current version of GEL, and it can be possible to find some .NET Open Source code to replace these propietary parts (or maybe, there are good enough developers in this list to create them).

          What do you think? anyone interested on an open source development?

          David.

          PD: Sorry for my poor english, i'm spanish native.

        • Alexandre Caldas Machado
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
            Peich,

            Interested in open source development I AM, and I think other developers too.

            But, please NO DOT NET!

            Just think: GEL is FAST and lightweight because it is an Win32 PE Executable!
            If it is a JAVA IDE, and we want it FAST, why should we develop it using .NET?  If it will be p-code, why not JAVA itself?

            Another point: If I'm not mistaken, GEL is written in DELPHI (or maybe Borland C Builder?), and it uses a lot of FREE AND OPEN SOURCE COMPONENTS for Delphi, like Gerarld already  said. And most components are not available for Delphi 8  / .Net platform, right? The shortest path is to keep it written in Delphi.

            Well, it is IMHO,

            Alexandre

            --
            Alexandre Caldas Machado
            ConsultBrasil Tecnologia & Negócios
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2004
              Ditto to what Alexandre said... why go dot-NET for GEL? A Java IDE
              in dot-NET?? Bleah.