Bug report

  • Daan Kets
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 11, 2002
      Message
      Gerald

      Try the following :

      Make an empty example routine like

      public void test(java.lang.Object para1, java.lang.Object para2, java.lang.Object para3, java.lang.Object para4, java.lang.Object para5){

      }

      Make sure you use a lot of parameters, in order to make the bottom scrollbar appear.

      No scroll horiz. so that the closing bracket for the routine disappears behind the line number ruler (make sure it is on).

      No position your cursor at the opening bracket for the routing. The closing bracket is now highlighted THROUGH the line numbers. This artifact is not cleared correclty when you move your cursor, or scroll the file (unless you scroll the messed-up area outside the client window).

      Daan

      (Screenshot included)
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 11, 2002
        Message
        Daan,

        Please send me a sample project I can run with a breakpoint set. I have tried to duplicate this problem in several different ways without success.

        I will look at the remainder of the bugs tonite, btw what OS are you using?

        Gerald
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 11, 2002
          Message
          I use Windows XP Pro US English. Practically the same as 200 (kernel behaviour and libraries). Should not make a difference. I will see tomorrow if there is a sample project I can send you.

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 19, 2002
            Message
            Gerald

            When the 'compile' action is executed, I think you should unmark any lines that are still marked red in the source editor. Otherwise you can end up with a correctly compiled class, but still having a source code line marked as 'error'.

            Daan
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 19, 2002
              Daan,

              >When the 'compile' action is executed, I think you should unmark any
              >lines that are still marked red in the source editor. Otherwise you can
              >end up with a correctly compiled class, but still having a source code
              >line marked as 'error'.

              I will check this but it did use to do this correctly. Perhaps I screwed something up in the last version, I will check into it, thanks.

              Gerald
            • Daniel Gazineu
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
                //My class that implements a interface
                public class TableSearch implements TableSearchInterface{
                    public TableSearch(){
                    }

                    public String getResult(){
                        return "No Result";
                    }
                }

                //My abstract class
                public abstract class Test{
                    public Test(){
                    }

                    //My abstract method, returns a interface
                    protected abstract TableSearchInterface getTableSearchMethod(TableActionParameters _tableActionParameters);
                }

                //My extended class
                public class ExtendedTest extends Test{

                    public ExtendedTest(){
                    }

                    //My overrided method
                    protected TableSearchInterface getTableSearchMethod(TableActionParameters _tableActionParameters){
                        return new
                    }
                }

                The last class do not compile. If I dont work with interfaces, it work perfectly.

                Sorry by my bad english! :-)
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
                  The same code compile in Wireless Toolkit 1.4, using the same compiler...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
                    --- In gelide@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gazineu" <danielgazineu@y...>
                    <SNIP>

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
                      Sorry, but I don´t was looking for a resolution to my problem, becouse the same code compile in Wireless Toolkit, I just was reporting an error. The code that I put in my e-mail is a simple sketch from the original code.

                      Assuming that what Daiel was trying to do...I have fleshed out the
                      code and it does compile if written correctly.

                      // in TableActionParameters.java
                      public class TableActionParameters{
                      }

                      // in Test.java
                      public abstract class Test{
                          public Test(){
                          }

                          //My abstract method, returns a interface
                          protected abstract TableSearchInterface getTableSearchMethod
                      (TableActionParameters _tableActionParameters);
                      }

                      // in ExtendedTest .java
                      public class ExtendedTest extends Test{

                          public ExtendedTest(){
                          }

                          //My overrided method
                          protected TableSearchInterface getTableSearchMethod
                      (TableActionParameters _tableActionParameters){
                              return new TableSearch();
                          }
                      }

                      // in TableSearch.java
                      public class TableSearch implements TableSearchInterface{
                          public TableSearch(){
                          }

                          public String getResult(){
                              return "No Result";
                          }
                      }

                      // TableSearchInterface.java
                      public interface TableSearchInterface {
                             public String getResult();
                      }

                      I broke these apart to demonstrate that a lot of code was missing.
                      However I agree with ianshef that this is probably not the best forum
                      for this type of question.

                    • ianshef
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                        The method getTableSearchMethod is declared to have a return type of
                        TableSearchInterface, so any return statement must have an expression.
                        In this case, the expression begins with new. An unqualified new
                        must be followed by the name of a Class or of an Interface. This
                        code has neither, and the compiler should produce an error message.
                        If there is no error message, either the compiler is in error
                        (unlikely), the code is not actually being compiled, or something
                        different from the published code is being compiled instead.

                        One other possibility: I have made an error. I consider this
                        unlikely because I read the published code, predicted what the
                        problem was, compiled it, and got the expected error.

                        Anyone else have something to add? What did I miss? What can I do
                        to help Daniel?

                        wrote:
                        > The same code compile in Wireless Toolkit 1.4, using the same
                        compiler...

                      • George Pople

                            hi Daniel,

                            > Sorry, but I don´t was looking for a resolution to my problem,
                            becouse
                            > the same code compile in Wireless Toolkit, I just was reporting an
                            > error. The code that I put in my e-mail is a simple sketch from
                            the
                            > original code.

                            as mentioned in an earlier post, Gel *does not* compile your code -
                            it simply calls whatever JDK you have configured (or was configured
                            automatically when Gel installed) and returns the errors were found.
                            if Wireless Toolkit does the same, then i suggest that you check
                            whether Gel and Wireless Toolkit are using the same version of the
                            JDK, and also what compiler options are being passed to the
                            compiler.

                            for interest sake, you may want to manually compile your code the
                            old-fashioned way (dropping to a command shell) and see what the JDK
                            reports.

                            kind regards,
                          • xxxxxx
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 16, 2004
                              I'm running Gel rc40 on a Spanish Windows 2000 server box and I've
                              found a very annoying problem. I can't time closing brackets "}" if
                              the keyboard layout is set to Spanish! If I set it to American
                              English, I can type closing brackets properly.

                              As I've never seen any bug report on this from any Spanish user (and I
                              know there are some out there) I'm beginning to think it has something
                              to do with some Gel option I'm missing. Has anyone experienced such a
                              behaviour from Gel? If so, can I do something to fix it?

                              Thanks in advance.
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 16, 2004
                                See the FAQ, this is a known issue with an easy workaround. One of the
                                commands gets mapped to the '}' key under the spanish keyboard, you just
                                need to remap it to something else.

                                Gerald