Gecko Website

  • Bob Christie
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 19, 2012
      What happened to the gecko website?
    • Remco Hosman
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012

        Answer is at the top of the page:  This domain name expired on Jan 17 2012 11:59AM

        Someone needs to renew the domain

        Met vriendelijke groeten/best regards,

        Remco Hosman

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012

            Oh well, it happens. Thats why there is a ‘redemption’ period. Its only a big issue when you let that one pass J. Not sure how long that is, I think 4 weeks.

            Met vriendelijke groeten/best regards,

            Remco Hosman

                Answer is at the top of the page:  This domain name expired on Jan 17 2012 11:59AM

                Someone needs to renew the domain

                Actually, I did a whois on geckodrive.com and it says

                Domain Name: GECKODRIVE.COM
                   Record expires on 22-Sep-2016.
                   Record created on 22-Sep-1999.
                   Database last updated on 20-Feb-2012 10:48:44 EST.

                   Domain servers in listed order:

                   NS1.BLUEHOST.COM
                   NS2.BLUEHOST.COM

                So I don't think that the domain name has expired. It may be that the hosting service (presumably from bluehost) has expired, but the domain name itself seems to be fine.

                --
                Dave Hylands
                Shuswap, BC, Canada
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                  That expired status looks suspect to me.

                  Both DomainTools and Network Solutions report the
                  expiration date as 22 September 2016, and a tracert
                  resolves to IP address 69.195.77.202 while it should
                  not resolve at all if the domain was expired.

                  I suspect it is more likely a routing problem
                  within Blue Host.

                  Regards,
                  Steve Stallings
                  www.PMDX.com

                  --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, Remco Hosman <r.hosman@...> wrote:

                  > Answer is at the top of the page: This domain name expired on Jan 17 2012 11:59AM
                  >
                  > Someone needs to renew the domain
                  >
                  > Met vriendelijke groeten/best regards,
                  >
                  > Remco Hosman
                  > ________________________________

                • Dave Hylands
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                    Hi Steve,

                    On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM, morerust <stevesng@...> wrote:

                    > That expired status looks suspect to me.
                    >
                    > Both DomainTools and Network Solutions report the
                    > expiration date as 22 September 2016, and a tracert
                    > resolves to IP address 69.195.77.202 while it should
                    > not resolve at all if the domain was expired.
                    >
                    > I suspect it is more likely a routing problem
                    > within Blue Host.

                    So the ip address for www.geckodrive.com is owned by bluehost, so it
                    could be that somebody hacked the geckodrive account and/or hacked
                    bluehost and replaced the homepage. The click seems to goto another
                    URL myorderbox.com, which I doubt has anything todo with bluehost.

                    --
                    Dave Hylands
                    Shuswap, BC, Canada
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                      Dave Hylands wrote:
                      > So the ip address for www.geckodrive.com is owned by bluehost, so it
                      > could be that somebody hacked the geckodrive account and/or hacked
                      > bluehost and replaced the homepage. The click seems to goto another
                      > URL myorderbox.com, which I doubt has anything todo with bluehost.

                      Yup, they've been hacked again! Geez, they really need to find a
                      hosting outfit
                      that can maintain security, or hire somebody to do it for them. I'm
                      "just me",
                      a one-guy outfit, and I don't have these sorts of problems, but then I might
                      know a little more IT security stuff than some people. I have had nasty
                      phishing pages added to my web store in the past, so one has to really
                      keep up with things to keep the hackers out.

                      Braingateway (dot) com seems to be operating out of Australia.

                      Jon
                    • Andy Wander
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012

                        It’s been down for about a week-I’m surprised it is still down….

                        Andy Wander
                        .

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                          I just did my own checking and it seems someone has probably performed a PHP code injection and created a new(malicious) Landing page when you only type www.geckodrive.com... However if you type the entire web address to their correct homepage which is,
                          www.geckodrive.com/index.html then you will bypass the malicious page. Again however I think I would not order anything through their website until they have cleaned and removed the Malicious file from their webserver. They may not even know its happened but surely after a couple of weeks they do. I will give them a call as well and let them know what I think the problem is...

                          --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Christie" <bob@...> wrote:

                          > What happened to the gecko website?

                        • Thomas
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                            Oh and by the way Their domain name has NOT expired... that is just a Malicious page you are all reading... Just as some of you have already checked the WHOIS is correct and they are good 2016. Whoever administers their webserver needs to remove whatever malicious file that has been created.

                            --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Christie" <bob@...> wrote:

                            > What happened to the gecko website?

                          • Lester Caine
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                              Thomas wrote:
                              > Oh and by the way Their domain name has NOT expired... that is just a Malicious page you are all reading... Just as some of you have already checked the WHOIS is correct and they are good 2016. Whoever administers their webserver needs to remove whatever malicious file that has been created.
                              It's looking OK from here ... I went in on the week as well, but probably via a
                              local bookmark :)

                              --
                              Lester Caine - G8HFL
                              -----------------------------
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                                Hi guys,

                                On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Lester Caine <lester@...> wrote:
                                > Thomas wrote:
                                >> Oh and by the way Their domain name has NOT expired... that is just a Malicious page you are all reading... Just as some of you have already checked the WHOIS is correct and they are good 2016. Whoever administers their webserver needs to remove whatever malicious file that has been created.
                                > It's looking OK from here ... I went in on the week as well, but probably via a
                                > local bookmark :)

                                Looks like the problem has been resolved. I now get the proper page
                                regardless of how I go in.

                                --
                                Dave Hylands
                                Shuswap, BC, Canada
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                                  Yes, it appears it has been resolved. I haven't heard anything back from them.

                                  --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Christie" <bob@...> wrote:

                                  > What happened to the gecko website?

                                • coamarcus
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                                    Hi guys,

                                    Our web company is fixing this. We have no idea what happened but it has done this on and off for several weeks. We have locked down the backend completely and the only thing that is being accessed is index.php; as soon as we re-upload a saved version of index.php the website goes back to normal.

                                    The site is currently based off of osCommerce but is being rebuilt in a much more secure format. Our Comodo security encrypts everything on the site once a user is logged in or begins the checkout process and no user information has been accessed.

                                    We will be monitoring the website nonstop to fix it as soon as possible. The new site will be launching soon and we will be making some changes to the site to make it easier to use for customers. The new site is being edited for content right now and being updated to be 100% perfect when it launches.

                                    I apologize for the irritation. We are actively pursuing a permanent fix so this should be resolved soon.

                                    Marcus Freimanis

                                    --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hylands <dhylands@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi guys,
                                    >
                                    > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Lester Caine <lester@...> wrote:
                                    > > Thomas wrote:
                                    > >> Oh and by the way Their domain name has NOT expired... that is just a Malicious page you are all reading... Just as some of you have already checked the WHOIS is correct and they are good 2016. Whoever administers their webserver needs to remove whatever malicious file that has been created.
                                    > > It's looking OK from here ... I went in on the week as well, but probably via a
                                    > > local bookmark :)
                                    >
                                    > Looks like the problem has been resolved. I now get the proper page
                                    > regardless of how I go in.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Dave Hylands
                                    > Shuswap, BC, Canada
                                    > http://www.davehylands.com

                                  • Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                                      This is great to hear you are actively pursuing this issue. There is another great shopping cart website called Cubecart. Check it out. We all here love your products and are now definitely awaiting the relaunch of your website. I sent an email through 'support@...'.

                                    • frxdy@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012

                                        Ohhh, the frustrating snags of living and doing business in the world of cyber space. One thing for sure.... they still make the most excellent drives on Earth and the best support in the universe.
                                      • Jon Elson
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                                          Andy Wander wrote:

                                          > It’s been down for about a week-I’m surprised it is still down….

                                          Good lord! I don't know how a company that does a fair bit of their business
                                          on an online store can live with their web site down for a week! Don't
                                          they do backups? Do they have a plan B?

                                          Jon
                                        • Jon Elson
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                                            Thomas wrote:
                                            > I just did my own checking and it seems someone has probably performed a PHP code injection and created a new(malicious) Landing page when you only type www.geckodrive.com... However if you type the entire web address to their correct homepage which is,
                                            A classic hack, shows their security is even worse than mine.
                                            A web server should not allow PHP injection like that.

                                            Jon
                                          • Jon Elson
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                                              coamarcus wrote:
                                              > Hi guys,
                                              >
                                              > Our web company is fixing this. We have no idea what happened but it has done this on and off for several weeks. We have locked down the backend completely and the only thing that is being accessed is index.php; as soon as we re-upload a saved version of index.php the website goes back to normal.
                                              >
                                              > The site is currently based off of osCommerce but is being rebuilt in a much more secure format.
                                              You need to keep the OS, web server, PHP and SQL server all up to the latest
                                              versions to stay ahead of the hackers. There are test suites you can
                                              run against
                                              your server to check that the hosting service is doing their job.

                                              Jon
                                            • Peter Homann
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                                                Nothing like being able to bask in someone else's misfortune.

                                                Give it a rest Jon

                                                On 21/02/2012 1:19 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
                                                > Andy Wander wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >> It’s been down for about a week-I’m surprised it is still down….
                                                >>
                                                > Good lord! I don't know how a company that does a fair bit of their business
                                                > on an online store can live with their web site down for a week! Don't
                                                > they do backups? Do they have a plan B?
                                                >
                                                > Jon

                                                eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
                                                Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
                                                email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
                                                Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board
                                              • Jon Elson
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 21, 2012
                                                  Peter Homann wrote:
                                                  > Nothing like being able to bask in someone else's misfortune.
                                                  >
                                                  > Give it a rest Jon

                                                  I really WASN'T trying to act like that, just that any competent web
                                                  hosting outfit
                                                  OUGHT to be able to maintain a system that is immune to stupid attacks
                                                  like that.
                                                  I know Gecko has been hacked several times over the years, and that just
                                                  should NOT be happening. What I WAS trying to indicate is that if just me,
                                                  not an IT expert at all, with only a little time available to keep up
                                                  with this sort
                                                  of stuff can maintain a secure site (at least so far) then the outfit
                                                  Gecko has hired
                                                  is NOT doing their job! Marcus and Mariss ought to find out what the
                                                  heck is
                                                  wrong with their hosting outfit so this doesn't keep happening. If they
                                                  are paying
                                                  for a professional service, they should demand professional results. If
                                                  I was
                                                  paying for such a service, I'd be so hopping mad!

                                                  Jon
                                                • picengraver
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 22, 2012
                                                    Marcus,
                                                    While all this problem with your web site has been going on, have you also missed emails sent to Gecko. I sent one the other day regarding problems with some 901 boards I recently received, but no answer yet. Should I resend or remain patient?
                                                    Thanks,
                                                    John Champlain
                                                    www.picengrave.com