vfd problems - g540 -- mach3 - dc spindle

  • fegaar
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 25 1:23 PM
      hi there folks....

      After follow manuals, videos and read posts in here, I finally got the first movements of my project on the 3 axis and works great¡¡¡... the hard limits too¡¡¡ but, I´m actually having a hard time with the wiring of the spindle control and don´t want to go further to avoid "smoke".... so if someone can help, I would appreciatte....

      I have a BALDOR CDP3450, 1 HP 90 vdc motor for spindle....
      a DART 125DV-C to control the speed via pot that has 10 vdc to wipe it....
      a gecko g540....
      using mach3....

      question:

      1.- can I connect the dc control to gecko directly to pins 7 (VDF GROUND) to SPEEDPOT LO, 8 (VFD OUTPUT) to SPEED WIPER and 9 (VFD +10 VDC) to SPEEDPOT HI...... or I need a BOB like DIGISPEED-GX or similar
    • Peter Homann
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 25 4:30 PM
        Hi,

        Yes you should be able to connect the G540 directly to the DART controller as
        you suggested.

        No need for a DigiSpeed. :(

        Cheers,

        Peter.

        fegaar wrote:
        > hi there folks....
        >
        > After follow manuals, videos and read posts in here, I finally got the first movements of my project on the 3 axis and works great¡¡¡... the hard limits too¡¡¡ but, I´m actually having a hard time with the wiring of the spindle control and don´t want to go further to avoid "smoke".... so if someone can help, I would appreciatte....
        >
        > I have a BALDOR CDP3450, 1 HP 90 vdc motor for spindle....
        > a DART 125DV-C to control the speed via pot that has 10 vdc to wipe it....
        > a gecko g540....
        > using mach3....
        >
        > question:
        >
        > 1.- can I connect the dc control to gecko directly to pins 7 (VDF GROUND) to SPEEDPOT LO, 8 (VFD OUTPUT) to SPEED WIPER and 9 (VFD +10 VDC) to SPEEDPOT HI...... or I need a BOB like DIGISPEED-GX or similar

        eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
        Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
        email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
        Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board
      • fegaar
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 26 2:47 PM
          thank you very much Peter.....

          I proceed and fortunately for me, the precious smoke don´t came to scene..... ufhhh...

          Another question for the group, I hope Peter knows and want to help (thank you again)...

          now, altought mach3 perfectly explains on manual, that the PWM output without a dir port (no servo spindle) is possible to control a simple DC CONTROL MOTOR, and explains to need a BOB or a simple cap with resistor to average the freq. to obtain a voltaje; and in other hand the gecko available info is not so clear or not enough for me to determine if the gecko g540 "converts" the freq. to voltaje....

          and now, for complete my project, I only have the next issue:

          the speed of spindle does NOT CHANGE, remains constant, seems that the gecko doesn´t convert the frequency to voltaje (0-10 vdc) or ???????

          In the ports and pins -> motor outputs -> spindle have:

          step pin: 14 dir pin:0 dir low act:X step low act:X step port:1 and dir port:0

          and in the ports and pins -> spindle setup have:

          unchecked relay controls to turn on via relay (works perfect) (I won´t use CCW spindle, and the use spindle out checked in the PWM control (checked too) and base freq to 5 HZ

          --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, Peter Homann <groups@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Yes you should be able to connect the G540 directly to the DART controller as
          > you suggested.
          >
          > No need for a DigiSpeed. :(
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Peter.
        • Stephen Wille Padnos
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 26 2:52 PM
            fegaar wrote:

            >[snip]
            >now, altought mach3 perfectly explains on manual, that the PWM output without a dir port (no servo spindle) is possible to control a simple DC CONTROL MOTOR, and explains to need a BOB or a simple cap with resistor to average the freq. to obtain a voltaje; and in other hand the gecko available info is not so clear or not enough for me to determine if the gecko g540 "converts" the freq. to voltaje....

            The G540 converts a PWM signal to analog, not a frequency.

            >and now, for complete my project, I only have the next issue:
            >
            >the speed of spindle does NOT CHANGE, remains constant, seems that the gecko doesn´t convert the frequency to voltaje (0-10 vdc) or ???????

            Nope, PWM only.

            >In the ports and pins -> motor outputs -> spindle have:
            >
            >step pin: 14 dir pin:0 dir low act:X step low act:X step port:1 and dir port:0
            >
            >and in the ports and pins -> spindle setup have:
            >
            >unchecked relay controls to turn on via relay (works perfect) (I won´t use CCW spindle, and the use spindle out checked in the PWM control (checked too) and base freq to 5 HZ

            The base frequency should be around 50 Hz, not 5Hz.

            - Steve
          • fegaar
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 26 3:04 PM
              thank you Steve, but what do you mean??? that I DO NEED the BOB like DIGISPEED GX???

              Re: [geckodrive] vfd problems - g540 -- mach3 - dc spindle

              --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, "fegaar" <fegaar@...> wrote:

              > thank you very much Peter.....
              >
              > I proceed and fortunately for me, the precious smoke don´t came to scene..... ufhhh...
              >
              > Another question for the group, I hope Peter knows and want to help (thank you again)...
              >
              > now, altought mach3 perfectly explains on manual, that the PWM output without a dir port (no servo spindle) is possible to control a simple DC CONTROL MOTOR, and explains to need a BOB or a simple cap with resistor to average the freq. to obtain a voltaje; and in other hand the gecko available info is not so clear or not enough for me to determine if the gecko g540 "converts" the freq. to voltaje....
              >
              > and now, for complete my project, I only have the next issue:
              >
              > the speed of spindle does NOT CHANGE, remains constant, seems that the gecko doesn´t convert the frequency to voltaje (0-10 vdc) or ???????
              >
              > In the ports and pins -> motor outputs -> spindle have:
              >
              > step pin: 14 dir pin:0 dir low act:X step low act:X step port:1 and dir port:0
              >
              > and in the ports and pins -> spindle setup have:
              >
              > unchecked relay controls to turn on via relay (works perfect) (I won´t use CCW spindle, and the use spindle out checked in the PWM control (checked too) and base freq to 5 HZ
              >

              > --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, Peter Homann <groups@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Yes you should be able to connect the G540 directly to the DART controller as
              > > you suggested.
              > >
              > > No need for a DigiSpeed. :(
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > >
              > > Peter.

            • fegaar
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 26 3:17 PM
                THANK YOU STEVE, but, it´s precisely a analog voltaje that I need to control the DART DC CONTROL dont´t you think??? the freq. emmited by mach3 is supposed to need a BOB to convert to a analog, this is my question.... Peter said that I dont´t need the BOB, so I supposed that the gecko g540 converts this freq to the DC.... so, what do you mean, that I need the DIGISPEED GX to obtain my 0-10 vdc to control the DART ????? thanks and best regards

                --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Wille Padnos <spadnos@...> wrote:

                > fegaar wrote:
                >
                > >[snip]
                > >now, altought mach3 perfectly explains on manual, that the PWM output without a dir port (no servo spindle) is possible to control a simple DC CONTROL MOTOR, and explains to need a BOB or a simple cap with resistor to average the freq. to obtain a voltaje; and in other hand the gecko available info is not so clear or not enough for me to determine if the gecko g540 "converts" the freq. to voltaje....
                > >

                > The G540 converts a PWM signal to analog, not a frequency.
                >
                > >and now, for complete my project, I only have the next issue:
                > >
                > >the speed of spindle does NOT CHANGE, remains constant, seems that the gecko doesn´t convert the frequency to voltaje (0-10 vdc) or ???????
                > >

                > Nope, PWM only.
                >
                > >In the ports and pins -> motor outputs -> spindle have:
                > >
                > >step pin: 14 dir pin:0 dir low act:X step low act:X step port:1 and dir port:0
                > >
                > >and in the ports and pins -> spindle setup have:
                > >
                > >unchecked relay controls to turn on via relay (works perfect) (I won´t use CCW spindle, and the use spindle out checked in the PWM control (checked too) and base freq to 5 HZ
                > >

                > The base frequency should be around 50 Hz, not 5Hz.
                >
                > - Steve

              • Stephen Wille Padnos
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 26 3:21 PM
                  fegaar wrote:

                  > thank you Steve, but what do you mean??? that I DO NEED the BOB like DIGISPEED GX???

                  The G540 includes a BOB internally, so you don't need another one.

                  As Peter said, you don't need one of his DigiSpeed units because the
                  G540 also has that function built in. The analog spindle speed output
                  is also opto-isolated, so you should be able to connect it directly to
                  the input on your VFD.

                  Your previous question looked like it was about PWM versus frequency
                  output, and the base frequency, it had nothing to do with a breakout
                  board, which is why I didn't say anything about breakout boards :)

                  - Steve

                  >Re: [geckodrive] vfd problems - g540 -- mach3 - dc spindle
                  >

                  >Hi,
                  >
                  >Yes you should be able to connect the G540 directly to the DART controller as
                  >you suggested.
                  >
                  >No need for a DigiSpeed. :(
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >
                  >Peter.

                • fegaar
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 26 3:39 PM
                    Ok Steve, so then, I still have this issue:

                    the DART 125 DC VOLTAJE CONTROL doesn´t change velocity of motor, remains at the same rate even in s0m03 or s2500m03, do you have any idea whats wrong?????

                    maybe config mach3 or jumper in control or ?????

                    thanks again

                    --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Wille Padnos <spadnos@...> wrote:

                    > fegaar wrote:
                    >
                    > > thank you Steve, but what do you mean??? that I DO NEED the BOB like DIGISPEED GX???
                    > >

                    > The G540 includes a BOB internally, so you don't need another one.
                    >
                    > As Peter said, you don't need one of his DigiSpeed units because the
                    > G540 also has that function built in. The analog spindle speed output
                    > is also opto-isolated, so you should be able to connect it directly to
                    > the input on your VFD.
                    >
                    > Your previous question looked like it was about PWM versus frequency
                    > output, and the base frequency, it had nothing to do with a breakout
                    > board, which is why I didn't say anything about breakout boards :)
                    >
                    > - Steve
                    >
                    > >Re: [geckodrive] vfd problems - g540 -- mach3 - dc spindle
                    > >

                    > >Hi,
                    > >
                    > >Yes you should be able to connect the G540 directly to the DART controller as
                    > >you suggested.
                    > >
                    > >No need for a DigiSpeed. :(
                    > >
                    > >Cheers,
                    > >
                    > >Peter.

                  • Stephen Wille Padnos
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 26 3:53 PM
                      fegaar wrote:

                      >Ok Steve, so then, I still have this issue:
                      >
                      >the DART 125 DC VOLTAJE CONTROL doesn´t change velocity of motor, remains at the same rate even in s0m03 or s2500m03, do you have any idea whats wrong?????
                      >
                      >maybe config mach3 or jumper in control or ?????

                      You'll have to troubleshoot it.

                      One thing that's necessary for this to work is that you must connect all
                      three VFD connections to the drive: VFD GROUND, VFD +10VDC, and VFD
                      OUTPUT. The VFD (or in your case the servo drive) supplies power to the
                      isolated side of the spindle output circuit in the G540. If you don't
                      connect VFD +10VDC, or the drive can't source enough current through
                      that terminal, then the G540 spindle speed output won't work. You would
                      then need to figure out how to get it to work with your drive. (I don't
                      know a thing about the DART drive, so I can't suggest anything)

                      If you have connected all three wires correctly, then you should
                      disconnect the VFD OUTPUT wire and measure the voltage on it with a
                      voltmeter. That voltage should change as you vary spindle speed with S
                      words. If it doesn't, then the scaling or other setup in Mach could be
                      wrong.

                      It is possible that the spindle output on your G540 is bad. I had this
                      happen to my G540 - it worked much better after the repair. :)

                      - Steve
                    • fegaar
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 27 9:02 AM
                        Thank you again Steve....

                        The dc control is all connected as you sugest, I already do the test of the VFD Output and remains equal, I´ll try with configurations on mach3.... even I tought that´s maybe is a grounding issue but I don´t going to ground anything until I´m sure, to for example ground the gecko suply with the VFD GROUND..... or what do you think???....

                        maybe someone in "higer lands" get interested with this issue and want to help.... thank you anyway and best regards Steve

                        --- In geckodrive@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Wille Padnos <spadnos@...> wrote:

                        > fegaar wrote:
                        >
                        > >Ok Steve, so then, I still have this issue:
                        > >
                        > >the DART 125 DC VOLTAJE CONTROL doesn´t change velocity of motor, remains at the same rate even in s0m03 or s2500m03, do you have any idea whats wrong?????
                        > >
                        > >maybe config mach3 or jumper in control or ?????
                        > >

                        > You'll have to troubleshoot it.
                        >
                        > One thing that's necessary for this to work is that you must connect all
                        > three VFD connections to the drive: VFD GROUND, VFD +10VDC, and VFD
                        > OUTPUT. The VFD (or in your case the servo drive) supplies power to the
                        > isolated side of the spindle output circuit in the G540. If you don't
                        > connect VFD +10VDC, or the drive can't source enough current through
                        > that terminal, then the G540 spindle speed output won't work. You would
                        > then need to figure out how to get it to work with your drive. (I don't
                        > know a thing about the DART drive, so I can't suggest anything)
                        >
                        > If you have connected all three wires correctly, then you should
                        > disconnect the VFD OUTPUT wire and measure the voltage on it with a
                        > voltmeter. That voltage should change as you vary spindle speed with S
                        > words. If it doesn't, then the scaling or other setup in Mach could be
                        > wrong.
                        >
                        > It is possible that the spindle output on your G540 is bad. I had this
                        > happen to my G540 - it worked much better after the repair. :)
                        >
                        > - Steve

                      • Peter Homann
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 27 2:30 PM
                          Hi,

                          One check to do is to use a 9V battery. Connect the;
                          1. (+) of the battery to the G540 VFD +10VDC pin
                          2. (-) if the battery to the G540 VFD GROUND pin
                          3. Use a multimeter to measure the voltage between the VFD output and VFD
                          Ground on the G540.

                          You should be able to measure a voltage between 0V and 9V on the VFD Output
                          pin on the G540 as you vary the spindle speed in Mach3 from 0 to 100% of the
                          max speed determined by the spindle pulley value you have set.

                          Cheers,

                          Peter.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 27 3:34 PM
                            ok, Peter, I did that and the reading of voltmeter was 2.405 vdc at 0 rpm and 2.423 vdc for the 2500 or what I put in the current pulley (#1)... seems as you say a scaling because there´s a minimal change on the reading... I was moving the pulley ratios and rpm´s max and min and do the same.. at min velocity 2.405 and at max 2.423 vdc... I dont´t find any tab or button to set the scaling or something like that... do you have an idea what is happening????

                            Thanks

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 27 4:39 PM
                              Hi,

                              No I don't. Sorry. Maybe the G540 is bad. Could be time for the manufacturer
                              to help out.

                              Cheers,

                              Peter.