IMAP/ssl support

  • Mike Bristow
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
      Hi,

      I've kludged together some imaps support for gbuffy, basically by
      adding the ability to do TLS/SSL connections to the mscocket
      functions (msocket_open_connection & msocket_readchar mostly).

      Its now, I think, at the stage where it sort-of-mostly works for
      me, but if other folk wanted it I'd need to autoconf it appropratly
      and and approprate radiobuttons to the GUI (at the moment
      imap_open_connection "knows" that if it's port 993 then it /must/
      be imap over TLS. Would other folk be interested in this? If
      so, then I'll do the work & post patches.

      --
      Mike Bristow, embonpointful, but not managerial, damnit.
    • Brandon Long
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
        On 11/19/01 Mike Bristow uttered the following other thing:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I've kludged together some imaps support for gbuffy, basically by
        > adding the ability to do TLS/SSL connections to the mscocket
        > functions (msocket_open_connection & msocket_readchar mostly).
        >
        > Its now, I think, at the stage where it sort-of-mostly works for
        > me, but if other folk wanted it I'd need to autoconf it appropratly
        > and and approprate radiobuttons to the GUI (at the moment
        > imap_open_connection "knows" that if it's port 993 then it /must/
        > be imap over TLS. Would other folk be interested in this? If
        > so, then I'll do the work & post patches.

        Sounds good. If you want, you can either post those patches, or you can
        finish them off, both are good.

        Brandon
        --
        "Its much more fun to be sand than oil in the machinery of life."
        http://www.fiction.net/blong/
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
          On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 11:15:08AM -0800, Brandon Long wrote:
          > Sounds good. If you want, you can either post those patches, or you can
          > finish them off, both are good.

          Someone at work wanted them, so I've added in the GUI related
          bits to the config dialog.

          I've yet to tackle autoconf; partially because I can tell a
          small number of users "add -lssl -lcrypto to the end of LIBS in the
          Makefile", and partially because I'm scared of autoconf.

          I'm also a little unsure what to do in the absence of OpenSSL;
          my worry is that someone will have a .gbuffyrc that includes
          "type = imaps" and then recompile gbuffy without openssl
          support. I suspect that in this case, gbuffy should either:

          detect imaps in the config, complain loudly, and abort;

          detect imaps in the config, complain loudly, and ignore
          the imaps entries in the config file, but otherwise
          leave them alone.

          I'll ponder overnight & do the something approprate in the morning
          (unless the boss notices and gets cross)

          Anyhow, I've attached the diff and stuck them on the web:

          mike@lindt:~$ cvs rdiff -u -r GBUFFY_2_4 gbuffy > public_html/gbuffy.diff
          cvs rdiff: Diffing gbuffy
          cvs rdiff: Diffing gbuffy/libcompface
          mike@lindt:~$ chmod 0660 public_html/gbuffy.diff

          You should also be able to view the diffs at
          http://www.urgle.com/~mike/gbuffy.diff

          Cheers,
          Mike

          --
          Mike Bristow, embonpointful, but not managerial, damnit.