gbuffy causes X server to get really big

  • Greg Ward
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2001
      This is a pathological case which probably doesn't occur very often: I
      have one inbox that's 2.3 MB, containing 471 messages... of which 463
      are unread (right now). Don't ask. Anyways, gbuffy doesn't handle such
      a large number of new messages very well. Before I right-click on the
      line for this inbox, my "ps v" says this about my X server:

      PID TTY STAT TIME MAJFL TRS DRS RSS %MEM COMMAND
      283 ? S 1:21 989 1290 55385 14356 5.6 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp -auth /

      ...ie. it's big (14 MB in core, 55 MB data), but not out of control.

      If I right-click on the enormous in-box, the following happens:
      * gbuffy takes about 2 sec to throw up a window, which is clearly
      well beyond the screen boundaries (this is on an 800 MHz Athlon,
      a pretty zippy machine)
      * it takes another 2 sec before it starts painting in the window
      * it shows *almost* the last 40 or so new messages, but the last 3 or
      4 are cut off
      * most importantly, my X server balloons in memory usage:

      PID TTY STAT TIME MAJFL TRS DRS RSS %MEM COMMAND
      283 ? S 1:34 989 1290 113057 72032 28.1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp -auth

      ... ie. 72 MB in core, 113 MB of data. Yikes!

      As soon as I kill the gbuffy process in question, my X server goes back
      to its normal size.

      This is with gbuffy 0.2.3 on Debian "woody", XFree86 4.1.0, gtk 1.2.10,
      Linux 2.4.12. Any point in upgrading to gbuffy 0.2.4? Any chance of
      this unpleasant behaviour being fixed? Or should I get the source
      myself and give it a shot?

      Thanks --

      Greg
      --