Re: geometry parsing...

  • uebergoober <miturria@cs.utk.edu>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
      Hi - I am new to gbuffy and I realize it's ALPHA code, but I'm
      wondering if there is any fix the geometry problem? what I mean is, is
      there any way to set the position using a geometry string? I can
      change the size of the window but settings like +x+y do not work. Some
      Window managers that remember a window's position do seem to remember
      it, but I can't seem to use a -geometry flag.

      We just switched to maildir format for email and I'd like to make
      gbuffy available for our users.

      Any help would be appreciated,

      Markus
    • Brandon Long
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
        On 01/06/03 uebergoober <miturria@...> uttered the following other thing:
        > Hi - I am new to gbuffy and I realize it's ALPHA code, but I'm
        > wondering if there is any fix the geometry problem? what I mean is, is
        > there any way to set the position using a geometry string? I can
        > change the size of the window but settings like +x+y do not work. Some
        > Window managers that remember a window's position do seem to remember
        > it, but I can't seem to use a -geometry flag.
        >
        > We just switched to maildir format for email and I'd like to make
        > gbuffy available for our users.
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated,

        Hmm, it appears that for some reason I can't remember, the
        parse_geometry() call is commented out, so I imagine it is in the
        current releases.

        My cvs server is currently down, so I don't have access to the logs to
        see why I might have done that. You can try uncommenting the line (in
        gbuffy.c) and recompiling...

        Brandon
        --
        "It is one of the superstitions of the human mind to have imagined
        that virginity could be a virtue." -- Voltaire
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
          Brandon Long wrote:
          releases.

          > My cvs server is currently down, so I don't have access to the logs to
          > see why I might have done that. You can try uncommenting the line (in
          > gbuffy.c) and recompiling...

          Well, it wasn't commented out in the source that I have (gbuffy-0.2.4).
          I wish gtk_init just supported geometry. I'm not an X programmer, so
          I'll have to dig in when I get some time and see if you can mage
          XGetGeometry and all that work with it. I assume you'll have to use a
          widget to do it if you're using GTK...

          Thanks to anyone looking at this. I've also looked into xbuffy which,
          being pure X w/o gtk/gdk, seems to support geometry. Gbuffy is easier to
          configure for "normal" users, though....

          Markus