geometry parsing...

  • Jon-o Addleman
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2002
      I'm very new to x programming, and haven't touched much other sorts in a
      while, so be gentle.. :)

      But I've been looking through the gbuffy code to see if I can learn
      something, and maybe improve the program a bit, since I use it so much.
      I'm a little baffled by a few things... First of all - why is there a
      big function to parse the geometry? Why not just use XParseGeometry,
      since that seems to be what it's for...

      In any case, the geometry parsing that's built in doesn't seem to work
      at all... I've not tested it extensively to see what's up, but I can't
      get the window to appear anywhere other than the top left corner. Even
      when the window manager (sawfish) attempts to remember its position.
      --
      Jon-o Addleman
    • Brandon Long
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2002
        On 02/02/02 Jon-o Addleman uttered the following other thing:
        > I'm very new to x programming, and haven't touched much other sorts in a
        > while, so be gentle.. :)
        >
        > But I've been looking through the gbuffy code to see if I can learn
        > something, and maybe improve the program a bit, since I use it so much.
        > I'm a little baffled by a few things... First of all - why is there a
        > big function to parse the geometry? Why not just use XParseGeometry,
        > since that seems to be what it's for...
        >
        > In any case, the geometry parsing that's built in doesn't seem to work
        > at all... I've not tested it extensively to see what's up, but I can't
        > get the window to appear anywhere other than the top left corner. Even
        > when the window manager (sawfish) attempts to remember its position.

        I don't know that much about x programming myself, and the geometry
        parsing routines were a patch from someone else. If there is a better
        way, great. The routines do work somewhat, but they also have
        un-intended side effects. Feel free to fix them as you can.

        Brandon
        --
        "That guy at the variety store who short-changes you may be a loser, but
        he's also the son of a god. A god. One you've never heard of. One
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
          Hi - I am new to gbuffy and I realize it's ALPHA code, but I'm
          wondering if there is any fix the geometry problem? what I mean is, is
          there any way to set the position using a geometry string? I can
          change the size of the window but settings like +x+y do not work. Some
          Window managers that remember a window's position do seem to remember
          it, but I can't seem to use a -geometry flag.

          We just switched to maildir format for email and I'd like to make
          gbuffy available for our users.

          Any help would be appreciated,

          Markus
        • Brandon Long
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
            On 01/06/03 uebergoober <miturria@...> uttered the following other thing:
            > Hi - I am new to gbuffy and I realize it's ALPHA code, but I'm
            > wondering if there is any fix the geometry problem? what I mean is, is
            > there any way to set the position using a geometry string? I can
            > change the size of the window but settings like +x+y do not work. Some
            > Window managers that remember a window's position do seem to remember
            > it, but I can't seem to use a -geometry flag.
            >
            > We just switched to maildir format for email and I'd like to make
            > gbuffy available for our users.
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated,

            Hmm, it appears that for some reason I can't remember, the
            parse_geometry() call is commented out, so I imagine it is in the
            current releases.

            My cvs server is currently down, so I don't have access to the logs to
            see why I might have done that. You can try uncommenting the line (in
            gbuffy.c) and recompiling...

            Brandon
            --
            "It is one of the superstitions of the human mind to have imagined
            that virginity could be a virtue." -- Voltaire
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
              Brandon Long wrote:
              releases.

              > My cvs server is currently down, so I don't have access to the logs to
              > see why I might have done that. You can try uncommenting the line (in
              > gbuffy.c) and recompiling...

              Well, it wasn't commented out in the source that I have (gbuffy-0.2.4).
              I wish gtk_init just supported geometry. I'm not an X programmer, so
              I'll have to dig in when I get some time and see if you can mage
              XGetGeometry and all that work with it. I assume you'll have to use a
              widget to do it if you're using GTK...

              Thanks to anyone looking at this. I've also looked into xbuffy which,
              being pure X w/o gtk/gdk, seems to support geometry. Gbuffy is easier to
              configure for "normal" users, though....

              Markus