Re: [gaykingdom] The Palms and The World

  • Jaix99@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
      I didn't look at the website you posted, but we have to be careful about changing the environment of the islands.  If we fill in, dam, or whatever, we might damage the coral.  This would be the surest way to bring world opinion down on us.  I beieve that opinion will get us farther than all the other ploys.

      Soap box is gone.....
      now using a podium

      Jaix
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
        --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, Jaix99@a... wrote:
        > I didn't look at the website you posted, but we have to be
        careful about
        > changing the environment of the islands. If we fill in, dam, or
        whatever, we
        > might damage the coral. This would be the surest way to bring
        world opinion down
        > on us. I beieve that opinion will get us farther than all the other
        ploys.

        > Soap box is gone.....
        > now using a podium
        >
        > Jaix

        Dear Jae,
        I must address this and an earlier comment by another poster
        about "shampoo" harming coral.
        Consider the hull of a sunken ship. Shouldn't we get rid of it?
        Isn't it unhealthy for the coral? Experienced divers will tell you that
        corals (and other life) will grow easily at a shipwreck.
        And most shampoo is bidegradable - the least of our worries re
        pollutants. I have heard that ships loaded with otherwise
        undisposable nuclear fuel and reactors themselvves are sunk in
        the deep and remote parts of the ocean. THAT's scary.
        If we wish to be wise advocates for life, we must learn a bit of
        biology. Ecologist David Suzuki's work is a good place to start.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
            from
            http://www.cousteau.org/

            2004-12-21

            • Corals: not looking good

            International experts calculate that 70% of the planet's coral
            reefs are threatened or destroyed.

            The Status of Coral Reefs of the World: 2004) reports that 20
            percent of the world's coral reefs are badly damaged and
            showing no signs of recovery, 24 percent are in danger of
            imminent destruction and 26 percent face further degradation.
            East Africa, Southern and Southeastern Asia and the Caribbean
            are the regions most seriously threatened.

            According to the report, the main threats to corals are global
            warming and rising levels of carbon dioxide. (Rising
            temperatures cause coral bleaching and CO2 slows coral
            calcification.) Other contributory human activities include
            over-fishing and destructive fishing techniques, chemical
            pollution and coastal development.

            All the news is not bad: 16 percent of the reefs that were
            categorized as damaged in 1998 are showing signs of
            regeneration.
            KM and CLM
          • Woody
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 13, 2005
              yes very interesting, but please remember that the Shiek building the
              Palm is a multi billionaire! But it does spark the imagination, and
              gawd knows we have lots of that! ;)

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 13, 2005
                --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, "Woody" <catatized@y...> wrote:

                > yes very interesting, but please remember that the Shiek building the
                > Palm is a multi billionaire!

                Indeed. And thirty years ago or less, that same Sheik was probably sitting in
                the desert beside a tent, tending his goats and camels :)