The Palms and The World

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
      Impressive construction projecte in the United Arab Emirates,
      and something for us to contemplate.

      http://guide.theemiratesnetwork.com/living/dubai/the_palm_islan
      ds.php

      http://www.uaeinteract.com/news/default.asp?ID=230
    • Jaix99@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
        I didn't look at the website you posted, but we have to be careful about changing the environment of the islands.  If we fill in, dam, or whatever, we might damage the coral.  This would be the surest way to bring world opinion down on us.  I beieve that opinion will get us farther than all the other ploys.

        Soap box is gone.....
        now using a podium

        Jaix
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
          --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, Jaix99@a... wrote:
          > I didn't look at the website you posted, but we have to be
          careful about
          > changing the environment of the islands. If we fill in, dam, or
          whatever, we
          > might damage the coral. This would be the surest way to bring
          world opinion down
          > on us. I beieve that opinion will get us farther than all the other
          ploys.

          > Soap box is gone.....
          > now using a podium
          >
          > Jaix

          Dear Jae,
          I must address this and an earlier comment by another poster
          about "shampoo" harming coral.
          Consider the hull of a sunken ship. Shouldn't we get rid of it?
          Isn't it unhealthy for the coral? Experienced divers will tell you that
          corals (and other life) will grow easily at a shipwreck.
          And most shampoo is bidegradable - the least of our worries re
          pollutants. I have heard that ships loaded with otherwise
          undisposable nuclear fuel and reactors themselvves are sunk in
          the deep and remote parts of the ocean. THAT's scary.
          If we wish to be wise advocates for life, we must learn a bit of
          biology. Ecologist David Suzuki's work is a good place to start.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
              from
              http://www.cousteau.org/

              2004-12-21

              • Corals: not looking good

              International experts calculate that 70% of the planet's coral
              reefs are threatened or destroyed.

              The Status of Coral Reefs of the World: 2004) reports that 20
              percent of the world's coral reefs are badly damaged and
              showing no signs of recovery, 24 percent are in danger of
              imminent destruction and 26 percent face further degradation.
              East Africa, Southern and Southeastern Asia and the Caribbean
              are the regions most seriously threatened.

              According to the report, the main threats to corals are global
              warming and rising levels of carbon dioxide. (Rising
              temperatures cause coral bleaching and CO2 slows coral
              calcification.) Other contributory human activities include
              over-fishing and destructive fishing techniques, chemical
              pollution and coastal development.

              All the news is not bad: 16 percent of the reefs that were
              categorized as damaged in 1998 are showing signs of
              regeneration.
              KM and CLM
            • Woody
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 13, 2005
                yes very interesting, but please remember that the Shiek building the
                Palm is a multi billionaire! But it does spark the imagination, and
                gawd knows we have lots of that! ;)

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 13, 2005
                  --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, "Woody" <catatized@y...> wrote:

                  > yes very interesting, but please remember that the Shiek building the
                  > Palm is a multi billionaire!

                  Indeed. And thirty years ago or less, that same Sheik was probably sitting in
                  the desert beside a tent, tending his goats and camels :)