Re: [gaykingdom] Digest Number 283

  • gunnarcologne
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2006
      Bill and all others:

      It is a shame how some "christians" treat gays at all. That's just
      incredible... But is there something in the bible that can prove
      those "christians" wrong?? There is.
      If you can afford some time, you may want to read a biblical
      affirmation for god's gay children.
      have a look here:
      http://www.gaynewsboard.net/show_eng_cult.php

      Regards,

      Gunnar

      --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, <wjf@b...> wrote:

      > It is amazing how people that claim to be Christians treat gay
      family members.

      > It occurs to me that the entire lesson of Noah, in the Ark story,
      is that we are but
      > one family.
      >
      > Those people then that marginalize us based on sexual orientation
      fail to abide
      > the lesson.
      >
      > When we see Christian leaders acting badly on these issues, we
      have an Obligation
      > to point out to these brothers that they have fallen from the path
      of grace - and that a
      > true brother does not countenance fear or hatred of his brother.
      >
      > I would love to see the Reverend Phelps and the Pope Benedicts of
      the world actually
      > live by the lessons in their book. If they cannot, or prefer not
      to, they need to allow other
      > better able leaders to minister to the flocks.
      >
      > Just my two cents, for what it is worth,
      >
      > -Bill Freeman
      > >
      > > From: datyl1@a...
      > > Date: 2006/01/09 Mon PM 12:01:07 EST
      > > To: gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: Re: [gaykingdom] Digest Number 283
      > >
      > > Michael - very well put - I have the exact same situation in my
      family in
      > > that all of my nieces and nephews and my younger sister NEVER
      had a question
      > > about me growing up, and they are without exception loving and
      supportive. My
      > > partner is even included in our family round of individual
      birthday parties
      > > (about 50 a year in our immediate family) because he is thought
      of only in terms
      > > of being a full-fledged member of our family by ALL concerned.
      It' a great
      > > feeling.................Daniel

    • Lincoln
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2006
        Weighing in from Seattle:

        As a trans Christian, I agree that the way some Christians treat us is shabby. But our lives cannot just be about Scriptural self-defense. I lived my faith that way for three years, and it stunted my growth in Christ. (oky, so did being the poster-child, and not really being encouraged by my former congregation to study anything other than the LGBT oppression in faith communities.)

        Some things I've discovered lately:

        The hateful verses comprise only .11% of Scripture. I've been led to believe that anyone who structures their entire lives around this (ie Fred Phelps) is guilty of idolatry.

        There are plenty of queer stories in the Bible. Esther is the queerest book in the whole library! It's a coming out text....y'all may want to peruse it for a positive stance on being yourself.

        The Bible is not just one book, rather a collection of 66 books spanning thousands of years. As my professor is prone to reminding us, all Scripture is written with the challenges the community at the time was facing. Actually, keeping that in mind, even a lot of so-called "errors" are explainable.

        I could go on and on (I'm a theology student), but I won't.

        BTW, isn't this list for putting together our own country? What's the current issues going on in the Kingdom.

        Still wanting to be a citizen and help from Seattle,

        Lincoln