Re: [gaykingdom] Digest Number 283

  • datyl1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2006
      Michael - very well put - I have the exact same situation in my family in that all of my nieces and nephews and my younger sister NEVER had a question about me growing up, and they are without exception loving and supportive.  My partner is even included in our family round of  individual birthday parties (about 50 a year in our immediate family) because he is thought of only in terms of being a full-fledged member of our family by ALL concerned.  It' a great feeling.................Daniel
    • wjf@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2006
        It is amazing how people that claim to be Christians treat gay family members.

        It occurs to me that the entire lesson of Noah, in the Ark story, is that we are but
        one family.

        Those people then that marginalize us based on sexual orientation fail to abide
        the lesson.

        When we see Christian leaders acting badly on these issues, we have an Obligation
        to point out to these brothers that they have fallen from the path of grace - and that a
        true brother does not countenance fear or hatred of his brother.

        I would love to see the Reverend Phelps and the Pope Benedicts of the world actually
        live by the lessons in their book. If they cannot, or prefer not to, they need to allow other
        better able leaders to minister to the flocks.

        Just my two cents, for what it is worth,

        -Bill Freeman

        > From: datyl1@...
        > Date: 2006/01/09 Mon PM 12:01:07 EST
        > To: gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [gaykingdom] Digest Number 283
        >
        > Michael - very well put - I have the exact same situation in my family in
        > that all of my nieces and nephews and my younger sister NEVER had a question
        > about me growing up, and they are without exception loving and supportive. My
        > partner is even included in our family round of individual birthday parties
        > (about 50 a year in our immediate family) because he is thought of only in terms
        > of being a full-fledged member of our family by ALL concerned. It' a great
        > feeling.................Daniel

      • gunnarcologne
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2006
          Bill and all others:

          It is a shame how some "christians" treat gays at all. That's just
          incredible... But is there something in the bible that can prove
          those "christians" wrong?? There is.
          If you can afford some time, you may want to read a biblical
          affirmation for god's gay children.
          have a look here:
          http://www.gaynewsboard.net/show_eng_cult.php

          Regards,

          Gunnar

          --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, <wjf@b...> wrote:

          > It is amazing how people that claim to be Christians treat gay
          family members.

          > It occurs to me that the entire lesson of Noah, in the Ark story,
          is that we are but
          > one family.
          >
          > Those people then that marginalize us based on sexual orientation
          fail to abide
          > the lesson.
          >
          > When we see Christian leaders acting badly on these issues, we
          have an Obligation
          > to point out to these brothers that they have fallen from the path
          of grace - and that a
          > true brother does not countenance fear or hatred of his brother.
          >
          > I would love to see the Reverend Phelps and the Pope Benedicts of
          the world actually
          > live by the lessons in their book. If they cannot, or prefer not
          to, they need to allow other
          > better able leaders to minister to the flocks.
          >
          > Just my two cents, for what it is worth,
          >
          > -Bill Freeman
          > >
          > > From: datyl1@a...
          > > Date: 2006/01/09 Mon PM 12:01:07 EST
          > > To: gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com
          > > Subject: Re: [gaykingdom] Digest Number 283
          > >
          > > Michael - very well put - I have the exact same situation in my
          family in
          > > that all of my nieces and nephews and my younger sister NEVER
          had a question
          > > about me growing up, and they are without exception loving and
          supportive. My
          > > partner is even included in our family round of individual
          birthday parties
          > > (about 50 a year in our immediate family) because he is thought
          of only in terms
          > > of being a full-fledged member of our family by ALL concerned.
          It' a great
          > > feeling.................Daniel

        • Lincoln
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2006
            Weighing in from Seattle:

            As a trans Christian, I agree that the way some Christians treat us is shabby. But our lives cannot just be about Scriptural self-defense. I lived my faith that way for three years, and it stunted my growth in Christ. (oky, so did being the poster-child, and not really being encouraged by my former congregation to study anything other than the LGBT oppression in faith communities.)

            Some things I've discovered lately:

            The hateful verses comprise only .11% of Scripture. I've been led to believe that anyone who structures their entire lives around this (ie Fred Phelps) is guilty of idolatry.

            There are plenty of queer stories in the Bible. Esther is the queerest book in the whole library! It's a coming out text....y'all may want to peruse it for a positive stance on being yourself.

            The Bible is not just one book, rather a collection of 66 books spanning thousands of years. As my professor is prone to reminding us, all Scripture is written with the challenges the community at the time was facing. Actually, keeping that in mind, even a lot of so-called "errors" are explainable.

            I could go on and on (I'm a theology student), but I won't.

            BTW, isn't this list for putting together our own country? What's the current issues going on in the Kingdom.

            Still wanting to be a citizen and help from Seattle,

            Lincoln