I found this article to be interesting

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2006
      http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid23920.asp

      12/31/05-01/02/06

      Gay groups in Taiwan to set up "Rainbow Republic"

      Gay groups in Taiwan are so angry that the government is not
      protecting their rights, they plan to set up a country for gay men
      and lesbians called the Rainbow Republic, Deutsche Presse-Agentur
      reported Friday.

      They aren't joking. Even the new government's logo will be the
      rainbow flag.

      "We will begin preparations next year and start by renting an office
      to house the government of the Rainbow Republic. The Rainbow Republic
      will have a parliament, a foreign ministry, and court to register gay
      marriages," Chan Ming-chou, director-general of the Taiwan Gay and
      Lesbian Human Rights Association, told reporters at a news
      conference. "The republic will issue identity cards to Taiwan
      homosexuals and work toward promoting gay rights in Taiwan."

      Chan criticized Taiwan's government for taking back its 2001 promise
      to legalize marriage for same-sex couples. "So we do not harbor any
      hopes anymore. We refuse to accept the jurisdiction of the Taiwan
      government and will found our own country and government to protect
      our rights," he told the wire service.

      Despite Taiwan gay rights activists' complaints, Taiwan is ahead of
      most Asian countries in the area of gay rights. The island has one
      gay bookstore, one gay hotline, and dozens of gay rights groups,
      according to the wire service. The Taiwan government has drafted the
      Human Rights Basic Law, which will legalize marriage for gay and
      lesbian couples. If passed, the measure will make Taiwan the first
      Asian country to legalize same-sex marriage. (Advocate.com)

      Advocate.com (c) 2005 LPI Media Inc.
      http://www.advocate.com/contact.asp

      =====