Texas Governor Suggests Gay Veterans Should Leave State

  • Randy Ray
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11 8:46 PM

        I’m ashamed to admit I was born and grew up in Texas .  I wish I could honestly deny that hatepeddling bigots like Rick Perry don’t speak for average Texans, but they do.  Right now I can’t think of any place more deserving of a few Old Testament plagues.

      --- Liam O’Coyle

      Texas Governor Suggests Gay Veterans Should Leave State:

      Gay Groups Demand Perry Apologize

      By STEVE KOVAL June 8, 2005 10:55 AM

           Texas Gov. Rick Perry suggested that gay veterans unhappy with the proposed anti-gay constitutional amendment should move elsewhere.

           "I'm going to say Texas has made a decision on marriage and if there's a state with more lenient views than Texas, then maybe that's where they should live," the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Perry said Sunday.

           Perry's comments were in response to a question during a news conference about what he would tell gay war veterans returning from Iraq .

           Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, a group for gays in the military, today joined calls by the Lesbian & Gay Rights Lobby of Texas for Perry to apologize.

           "More than 66,000 lesbian and gay veterans make their home in Texas ," said Sharra E. Greer, SLDN's director of law and policy. "Their service has defended the freedom of every Texan, including Governor Perry. The governor's remarks dishonor their service and he should immediately apologize. We should be thanking these brave men and women, not asking them to leave."

           Col. Paul W. Dodd, a retired Army Chaplain and SLDN honorary board member who now lives in Texas , said in a statement, "Gays and lesbians have defended our country since the American Revolution."

           "Governor Perry's remarks were outrageous and offensive and do not reflect the views of fair-minded Texans who value the service of our men and women in uniform. It is past time that those who fight for freedom abroad be afforded those same liberties here at home," Dodd said.

    • John "Taylor" Yezeguielian
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11 10:02 PM
        Outrageous!  But then again, we got Bush from there, too.  I wish AR was still governor.

        It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

        JT
        Protect The Ocean
        "In protecting the ocean, we bring life to ourselves"
        http://ProtectTheOcean.com