MAKE A CHANGE - START TODAY - www.BETOLERANT.COM - WATCH IT GROW & SHOW YOUR SUP

  • LuckyBoyFLA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2005

      MAKE A CHANGE - START TODAY - www.BETOLERANT.COM - WATCH IT GROW & SHOW YOUR SUPPORT

      CELEBRATE GAY PRIDE AND BETOLERANT
      Specially Designed Purple Tolerance Bands
      to Support Gay & Lesbian Rights, Charities &
      Community

      In recognition of Gay and Lesbian Pride Month, www.Betolerant.com has launched, kicking off with a simple mission, Tolerance.  To embrace diverse lifestyles. Diverse religions. Diverse race and ethnicities. Diverse opinions. Even the diverse eccentricities that make each of us unique.

      What a better way for people to show their support and solidarity, by wearing a simple wristband.

      Although glancing at the Tolerance wristband may cause the uncontrollable urge to: give up your seat on the train; say thank you; open your heart; hold the elevator door for a stranger; smile; and maybe open your mind.

      BeTolerants.com's mission is simple - to promote and reinforce tolerance as a way of life.  To provide a place for people to come together and show their support, not only for the Gay and Lesbian community, but for every community.

      So spread the word. Show your support & do your part to BeTolerant.

      luckyboyfla@...
    • wjf@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2005
        Dear Lucky Boy,

        I find the idea that others should TOLERATE me, my gender identity or my sexual orientation to be
        utterly offensive.

        I am a human being and no one should think they are doing me a favor by TOLERATING me.

        I am not a nuisance to be quietly endured, and if someone feels they need to TOLERATE me,
        perhaps that person needs to wear a purple wristband so that we can easily identify them for re-
        education and sensitivity enhancement.

        Both children and adults must be taught to embrace diversity, not tolerate it. Those that feel they must
        tolerate diversity in other human beings are not complete human beings. If they hold such beliefs,
        they have a flaw in their character which no purple wristband will heal.

        I'll be eager to see someone wearing one of these purple wristbands.

        -Bill Freeman

        > From: LuckyBoyFLA@...
        > Date: 2005/06/06 Mon PM 06:11:11 EDT
        > To: gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [gaykingdom] MAKE A CHANGE - START TODAY - www.BETOLERANT.COM - WATCH IT
        GROW & SHOW YOUR SUP

        > MAKE A CHANGE - START TODAY - _www.BETOLERANT.COM_
        > (http://www.betolerant.com/) - WATCH IT GROW & SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
        >

        > CELEBRATE GAY PRIDE AND BETOLERANT
        > Specially Designed Purple Tolerance Bands
        > to Support Gay & Lesbian Rights, Charities & Community
        >
        > In recognition of Gay and Lesbian Pride Month, _www.Betolerant.com_
        > (http://www.betolerant.com/) has launched, kicking off with a simple mission,
        > Tolerance. To embrace diverse lifestyles. Diverse religions. Diverse race and
        > ethnicities. Diverse opinions. Even the diverse eccentricities that make each of
        > us unique.
        >
        > What a better way for people to show their support and solidarity, by
        > wearing a simple wristband.
        >
        > Although glancing at the Tolerance wristband may cause the uncontrollable
        > urge to: give up your seat on the train; say thank you; open your heart; hold
        > the elevator door for a stranger; smile; and maybe open your mind.
        >
        > BeTolerants.com's mission is simple - to promote and reinforce tolerance as
        > a way of life. To provide a place for people to come together and show their
        > support, not only for the Gay and Lesbian community, but for every
        > community.
        >
        > So spread the word. Show your support & do your part to BeTolerant.
        >

        > luckyboyfla@...

      • Jesse Judice
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
          To whom it may concern.

          I'm astonished at the level of maturity that was put in to the recent
          post that I'm replying to.

          First of all lets take a look into this Betolerant.com they have a
          simple mission whish is as follows "to promote tolerance and respect
          for diversity. Diverse life styles. Diverse religions. Diverse race
          and ethnicities. Diverse opinions. Even the diverse eccentricities
          that make each of us unique."

          Ok now lets all take a look at the definition of Tolerance,

          Tolerance: The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and
          respecting the beliefs or practices of others.

          It's extremely simple as Betolerant's mission describes. Now as for
          the poster of the post I am replying to... You are currently
          supporting the GLK movement am I correct? Yes I am. Now I would like
          everyone to take a look at what The Poster is supporting, I'll quote
          from the gaykingdom.com website which states as follows, "We reflect
          upon the extreme sadness, because while our great diversity should be
          received by others outside of our Tribe as a great gift, we are
          shunned and excluded on the basis of our belonging to our Unified Gay
          Tribe."

          Let's outline something in that statement for a moment. "Because while
          our great diversity should be received by others outside of our Tribe"

          The poster of the post I'm replying to is clearly contradicting their
          involvements in the GLK.

          Also lets read and I'll quote "Both children and adults must be taught
          to embrace diversity, not tolerate it."

          Now lets all take a look at these definitions,

          Embrace

          To clasp or hold close with the arms, usually as an expression
          of affection.

          Diversity

          1. The fact or quality of being diverse; difference.
          2. A point or respect in which things differ.

          So I suppose I'll re sum up what the poster might have been saying is
          that, Adults and Children need to be taught to respect the that that
          people are different and as being a human being they should have
          respect for these different Diversities.
          People, humans... Make choices every day. To be tolerant of things is
          something that should be carried out mostly because we all deserve to
          be respected, who doesn't want respect? I applaud the BETOLERANT.COM
          site for its efforts in bringing people together and making a stand.
          If you really think about it... If America and people in there
          diversities and what not were Tolerant we in our diversity wouldn't
          need the GLK now would we? No because America and American Politicians
          would "Tolerate" us, they would "tolerate" gay marriage... And it's
          not just the gay issue... If people would tolerate other people's
          beliefs and preferences more, then there would be hardly any conflicts
          that we are all facing now.

          The Tolerance mission seems to me as being on the lines of gaining
          acceptance from the public of not only the gay diversity issue but
          others as well... These things are already in progress... There are
          several other organizations making progress with these issues. The
          tolerance site is just another way to do this and is actually a smart
          way to go about it... Now as for the Purple wrist band... well with it
          being pride season and all good job, I don't think they are saying
          "Hey everyone who wants to put up with us wear this `year round' `out
          in public everywhere'." There are humans out there that already
          tolerate and accept different diversities... And this is a one way
          that is being made available for them to let people know they accept,
          respect, possibly support, and understand diversity.... You can rattle
          you brain over and over all night long to come up with more criticism
          on an idea of unity and acceptance and Tolerance and what not but it
          all leads to one thing... RESPECT. And there is so many other things
          that follow that notion as well. Every thing is worth a try. I hope
          that the Tolerance Site is successful and makes some changes, Changes
          are as we can all see needed. If Tolerance fails, try a different way
          of doing things... As everyone knows the world needs refurbishing
          lol... Criticism of peoples efforts get no one anywhere, and is truly
          a waste of breath and time. So everyone keep trying and don't give up!
          Best of wishes to all.

          Note to Betolerant.com It seems to me as though your in your begging
          stages. Best of luck in your efforts. If there is anything I can do to
          help in the efforts don't hesitate to contact me.

        • William J. Freeman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
            Dear Jesse,

            Thanks for the post.

            My Black's Law Dictionary has the following definitions:

            Tolerate.  To allow so as not to hinder; to permit as something not wholly approved of; to suffer; to endure.

            My Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary has a much more expansive view:

            The word comes from the Latin, tolerare, which means to bear or endure, and is translated to endure,
            sustain (pain or hardship).  1531 Elyot, Gov: to tollerate those thinges whiche do some bytter or greuios
            (whereof there may be many in the lyfe of man); 1548 Hall Chron., Richard III: The great dolour and
            sorowe that you haue suffred and tollerated by the cruel murther of your innocente children...

            The history of the word clearly means what it means, and when I say that I, as a human being, am not
            the sort to be TOLERATED, I think I communicate from a sense of the history of the words that are used
            and their common usage and parlance.  Both Oxford's and Black's cite suffering and endurance as a
            part of TOLERATION.

            Now, your point is well taken that change might as well begin somewhere, and it might as well start with
            a purple wristband, but my point is that I do not seek tolerance, but rather acceptance, in my society.  It
            is my birthrite and a basic human right.

            -Bill

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
              And I would have to agree with Bill on this one. I am a half-Puerto Rican Gay Jewish man. The word tolerance just doesn't sit right with me. I want acceptance, and not tolerance for who I am as a human being. If someone had to tolerate me, what does that really mean. We tolerate a toothache, but we accept a mole. I don't want to be tolerated like a toothache (something we wish we didn't have to do) and be accepted like a mole (hey it made that one model famous!)

              I think a more appropriate campaign would be one of Diversity Acceptance and not Tolerance.

              Just my 2 cents as well  ;0)

              This e-mail communication, including all attachments, may contain private, proprietary, privileged and/or confidential information and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, copying or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, and have received it in error, please delete it and notify the sender immediately.

              Le présent courriel et toutes les pièces jointes contiennent de l'information privée, exclusive, privilégiée et/ou confidentielle s'adressant uniquement au destinataire. Toute utilisation, copie ou distribution non autorisée du contenu de ce courriel est strictement interdite. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message et que vous l'avez reçu par erreur, veuillez le supprimer et en informer immédiatement l'expéditeur.

            • LuckyBoyFLA@aol.com