FW: [OneAlabama] Column mentions Alabama

  • William J. Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 11:59 AM

      From: OneAlabama@yahoogroups.com [mailto:OneAlabama@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Ken Baker
      Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:25 PM
      To: ALRoundtable@yahoogroups.com; OneAlabama@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [OneAlabama] Column mentions Alabama

      EA testimony at State House is mentioned. Several spoke of “hate”.

      Ken

      ________________________

      Ken Baker
      1311 Woodward Avenue
      Montgomery , AL 36106-2023
      334 263-4178 (home)
      334 546-7474 (cell)

      Please support Equality Alabama !

      Working for equal rights and opportunities for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people of Alabama .

      www.equalityalabama.org

      Detroit Free Press

      Home | Back

      BY LEONARD PITTS JR.: Anti-gay laws are inhumane

      BY LEONARD PITTS JR.

      May 4, 2005

      Gay Holocaust?

      That was the subject line of an e-mail I received last week from "Chris," a lawyer in a red state. He wanted to know if anybody else sees a similarity between the beginning of the Holocaust -- the nibbling away of rights and personhood that ultimately led to the attempted extermination of a people -- and what is happening to gay people in the United States .

      He knows it's far-fetched. "But," he says, speaking of the conservative element that is pushing hardest against gay rights, "we are not dealing with normal people here."

      Chris concedes that there are differences between the plights of Jews and gays. "But they also have this in common -- at one time in history, that time being the present for gays, they were the object of official government-sponsored hatred couched in the name of religion or morals."

      The bigger offense

      Here's what I think:

      The Holocaust is an atrocity unique in history, and I'm wary of appending modifiers: the "this" holocaust or the "that" holocaust.

      Which is not to say the lawyer is off base. I've long felt the current spate of laws -- you can't do this because you're gay, can't have that because you're lesbian -- bears a discomfiting resemblance to Germany in the 1930s.

      Both spring from a mindset that says a given people is so offensive to our sensibilities, that we are obliged to place them outside the circle of normal human compassion. We don't have to hear their cries, don't have to respect their humanity, because they are less than we -- and are responsible for everything that scares or threatens us.

      Whatever it is, it's all their fault.

      Human dignity

      My problem is that I see human dignity as all of a piece. I don't know how to want it for me and mine, but not for them and theirs.

      I always considered that the lesson of the Holocaust; always felt that in the largest sense, it was not about Jews and Aryans but about humanity and inhumanity. The Holocaust was hatred carried to its logical extreme, the predictable outcome of an environment where we countenance taking rights from "them," heaping scorn on "them," making scapegoats of "them."

      And who can deny that this describes the plight of gay Americans in 2005? Or that demagogic lawmakers are using this environment to further their own ambitions?

      There used to be an expression in Southern politics. The candidate who lost because he had been found insufficiently draconian on racial issues was said to have been out-niggered. These days, the worry seems to be that one might be out-homoed. Consider, for instance, a law under consideration in Alabama to ban books with gay characters from public school libraries.

      It prompted a group of gay Alabamans to rise before a legislative committee and ask a pregnant question.

      Why do you hate us?

      The same thing could have been asked by an Armenian in 1915, by a Bosnian Muslim in 1992, by a Rwandan in 1994 and, yes, by a Jew, in 1936.

      We just don't learn.

      Ours is a stable and prosperous democracy, so no, I don't predict train cars full of gays rolling toward death factories. Still, the mindset of aggrieved righteousness that allowed those trains to roll is not dissimilar from that which would ban books about gay people from public school libraries.

      Maybe your instinct is to find the comparison unthinkable. Nobody is interning gays or mass murdering them. But ask yourself: How many would if they could?

      LEONARD PITTS JR. appears most Wednesdays and Fridays in the Free Press. Reach him at the Miami Herald, 1 Herald Plaza, Miami , FL 33132 ; toll free at 888-251-4407 or at lpitts@....

      Copyright © 2005 Detroit Free Press Inc.