fwd: Gay Pioneer Jack Nichols died

  • jessemonteagudo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2005

      Friends: I had the privilege of knowing this great and good man as a friend, as well as a fellow activist and writer.  He was a role model and an inspiration to us all.

      - Jesse Monteagudo

      Activist, Writer Jack Nichols Dies (www.365gay.com)

      “(Cocoa, Florida) Jack Nichols, one of the pioneers of gay liberation and a prolific writer, died early Monday in hospital after a long illness.  He was 67.

      In 1961, Nichols along with Frank Kameny, founded the Mattachine Society of Washington - one of the earliest groups to fight for gay rights in America.

      They brought to the struggle for equality a new radicalism that exemplified the sixties

      Nichols particularly was responsible for challenging the then prevalent psychiatric model of homosexuality as mental illness.

      In 1965 he was instrumental in organizing some of the first public gay demonstrations in the United States - including the first protest at White House.

      In the 1960s he edited several well-known men's magazines. From 1969 to 1973, with his partner Lige Clarke, he was the editor of GAY,  the nation's first gay weekly newspaper.  Tragically, Clarke later was killed in Mexico at a questionable police checkpoint.

      In the late 1970's, Nichols' editing stints also included Sexology, then the world's longest-lived sex therapy publication.

      Between 1997-2004 Nichols edited GayToday.com, a daily news magazine published by Badpuppy Enterprises. After GayToday he wrote a regular column for 365Gay.com.

      Nichols' polemic, The Gay Agenda: Talking Back to the Fundamentalists (Prometheus Books) was published in 1996.

      He is also the author of Men's Liberation: A New Definition of Masculinity (Penguin); Welcome to Fire Island: Visions of Cherry Grove & the Pines (St. Martin's Press); and is co-author with Lige Clarke of I Have More Fun With You Than Anybody (St. Martin's Press); and Roommates Can't Always Be Lovers: An Intimate Guide to Male/Male Relationships (St. Martin's Press.)

      His last book was The Tomcat Chronicles: Erotic Adventures of a Gay Liberation Pioneer (Park-Harrington Press, a division of the Haworth Press, 2004).

      A cancer survivor, Nichols had been in and out of hospital several times in 2005.  A week before he died he asked that 365Gay.com reprint an interview he had done several years earlier with Sherwin Nuland the author of 'How We Die".

      Nichols was surrounded by many friends and family during his final days. At the end, two of his close friends Scott Hall and Steve Yates were with him.

      Yates said that Nichols slipped away peacefully as they listened to Rosemary Clooney's "I Don't Want to Walk Without You" in his hospital room.

      "Jack touched everybody with his great heart and his love of the people he met and interacted with, each in a unique and personal way," Yates said.