is the GLK a absolute monarchy or is it a democracy?

  • Donald Clark
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2005
      The following message was posted by Joe a member of the privy council back in March, note the highlighted in red portion where he says that the GLK is far from a democracy, then look further down the posting and see a email that Don recieved thismorining where the Lord Protector JonMatlick is talking about how the privy Concil should make it seem like the GLK is a demorcacy, Well Boys which is it? well We are waiting, and I amnot trying to cause problems, I really want toknow, this needs to be made clear to all of us.

      From: Fremont BridgeMan <wsbridgeman@...>
      Date: Mon Mar 14, 2005  7:31 pm
      Subject: Re: [gaykingdom] Re: can you help me?For a united GAY tribe  wsbridgeman

      It is already set up and it is in Birmingham Alabama.  That place was chosen because not a soul was willing to take on this project.  You are welcome to move to Alabama anytime you wish and your offer of volunteer service is appreciated and accepted.

      If you truly believe this is a, "scheme concocted by HIM Dale Anderson to milk people out of there hard earned money", than why are you here in the first place.
      The government of the GLK of the Coral Sea, as it was established is the way it is and that will not change.  Many people seem to have this idea that the GLK is a democracy.  Nothing is further from reality.  This is NOT a democracy.  This is not a Republic.  It is only because of the generosity of HIM Dale that this is a Constitutional Monarchy, and HIM Dale can change it to whatever he wishes at any time he wishes.  There is nothing in the founding documents of the GLK that state otherwise.  HIM Dale is the government and the rest of the "government", even though elected to serve in ther Assembly, are advisors.

      "Does the GLK tell its Citizens about its finances? After all how do we, Joe Citizen, know that the $50 dollars I sent was really for a citizenship certificate and what not. Actually went to that?"   Well my partner and I have our certificates so I guess I would have to say the money got me something.  As for the finances, I believe I heard there will be a financial statement published in the GLK Gayzette in March.

      Joe
      Seattl

      Based on past events, posts to the yahoo group by PC members and the reactions and the replies thereto I feel it would be prudent to adopt a policy for the PC similar to the one Dale uses and not get involved in the political discussions of the group. The Privy Council needs to portray accurately its role as advisors, not portray an image that is being perceived as policy makers. To that end I think it would be prudent to allow elected officials to reply to posts in the group, such as the sequence below. I understand the urge to offer an immediate reply, but it is reasonable for it to take 24 hours or so for a reply to be posted and that is sufficient time to allow the ELECTED OFFCIALS to reply. With replies from the ELECTED OFFICIALS people will get a better feeling that this is a democratic country and the perception of an absolute monarchy/dictortorship/totalitarian system will dissapate. Right or wrong, there are too many people who perceive the PC as the absolute power/policy makers of the Kingdom and this is not an image we want to portray.

      Respectfully,

      Jon

    • Davey Brain
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2005
        Donald Clark wrote:
        > The following message was posted by Joe a member of the privy council
        > back in March, note the highlighted in red portion where he says that
        > the GLK is far from a democracy, then look further down the posting and
        > see a email that Don recieved thismorining where the Lord Protector
        > JonMatlick is talking about how the privy Concil should make it seem
        > like the GLK is a demorcacy, Well Boys which is it? well We are waiting,
        > and I amnot trying to cause problems, I really want toknow, this needs
        > to be made clear to all of us.

        Hi,
        The GLK is defined as a "constitutional monarchy": the monarch has any
        power given him by the constitution.

        A good basic explanation on forms of government is here: "Politics and
        Political Science" <http://www.ilstu.edu/~jnassar/politics.html>

        --------
        Under monarchies he says:

        "To be classified as a monarchy, a government must have some kind of
        royal family that inherits their position of power. Different types of
        monarchs exist. A monarchy may be a limited monarchy, a constitutional
        monarchy, or an absolute monarchy.

        A limited monarchy is one in which the royalty have only ceremonial
        powers. An example of this is in the United Kingdom. While Queen
        Elizabeth is considered the queen, she has no authority in lawmaking and
        does not deal with the parliament. A limited monarchy merely has a royal
        family for ceremonies and in keeping with tradition.

        The second type of monarchy is a constitutional monarchy. In this form
        of monarchy, the monarch has powers granted to him/her by the country’s
        constitution. An example of this form of monarchy is in Sweden. Here,
        the monarch can only use powers granted in the country’s constitution.

        The third and final type of monarchy is an absolute monarchy. In an
        absolute monarchy, the monarchy has supreme and absolute authority to do
        what it wishes. An example of this occurs in the country of Saudi
        Arabia. In Saudi Arabia, the royal family can enforce any law it wishes-
        no matter how bad it could be for the country. Absolute monarchies are
        often very oppressive to its people. For example, Saudi Arabia has very
        strict laws that have been put in place by the royal family. The people
        living in the country have no voice in an absolute monarchy."
        --------
        Under republics, he writes:

        "A republic is any government that does not have a monarch. Republics
        are also divided into three classes. A republic can be classified as a
        dictatorship, an oligarchy, or a democracy.

        A dictatorship is a government ruled by one commander. An example of
        this is Iraq. Saddam Hussein is [Note: now "was"] the dictator of Iraq.
        Whatever he decides becomes law. Dictatorships are similar to absolute
        monarchies in that they are very oppressive to the people of the
        country. The major difference between the two is that absolute
        monarchies are families inheriting their power while dictatorships often
        result from military takeovers or from an elected official who refuses
        to step down from his elected office.

        The second type of republic is an oligarchy. An oligarchy is a country
        ruled by the few. An example of this was in South Africa during
        Apartheid. During Apartheid, the white population, which was about 25%
        of the entire country’s population, commanded the power and the majority
        of the wealth of South Africa. At this time, blacks were not allowed to
        be involved in the political process and were forced to live only in
        certain areas. Apartheid has now been eliminated in South Africa, and
        the black majority now has more control over the political process and
        the government.

        The final type of republic is a democracy, which is what most consider
        the United States to be. In a democracy, it is rule by the majority.
        This rule by the majority takes place by voting and electing officials.
        The people of the country elect officials who hold similar views to
        their own to represent them."
        --------

        So I suggest you read this web page, google on things like
        "constitutional monarchy" and "forms of government" then you can decide
        for yourself where the GLK lies. But officially it is and will remain a
        "Constitutional Monarchy".

        BrokenBoy
        --
        Davey Brain
        Due to political oppression I'm seeking a Canadian or European

        "It is dangerous to be right when the established authorities are wrong"
        - Voltaire

        This OS/2 uptime is 0 d 09 h 32 m 38 seconds